What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What have you been up to lately?

Post by Refractordude »

Visited an aquarium shop to enjoy their reef tanks and buy some rocks. I dipped the rocks and a few empty shells for my hermit crabs. I stopped by the health food store on my way home to purchase a banana cake. Once home I set up my scope and 7x50 binoculars for some stargazing a little later. I am back to work at my part-time garage job. Here is a video of what I do with the cart manager buggy.

Attachments
upto 1.PNG
upto 3.PNG
upto 2.PNG
Last edited by Refractordude on Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Ylem wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:48 pm Took my wife to an appointment and saw some crab trees blooming! :)
:D The Summer Triangle is up before dawn now.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Refractordude wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:10 pm Visited an aquarium shop to enjoy their reef tanks and buy some rocks. I dipped the rocks and a few empty shells for my hermit crabs. I stopped by the health food store on my way home to purchase a banana cake. Once home I set up my scope and 7x50 binoculars for some stargazing a little later. I am back to work at my part-time garage job. Here is a video of what I do with the cart manager buggy.

OMG! Longest cart train I have ever seen!!
I have a part time job at Food Lion, my max is a lowly 15 carts LOL

BEAUTIFUL tank!
When my fresh water ones die off I may try a reef, it's also a 20 gallon high.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:48 pm
Ylem wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:19 pm Heading back to Savannah to help my dad, he's 86 and having some issues.
Trying to get him to move here, but stubborn is what stubborn does.
I had the same difficult discussion with my Mom. I failed to persuade and didn’t force the issue though I had PoA. It’s tricky. Good luck.
IMG_20220209_165008233.jpg
Help!!! it's 82F in here!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Gosh a clear night tonight! Only partly moony!
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

I like the framing, this might be a decent set of data :D
Attachments
Frame.jpg
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

turboscrew wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:09 pm Fifteen minutes ago, my doorbell rang - my filterwheel (ZWO EFW 7x36mm) arrived! :jeanne dance:

I also found ZWO LRGB filter set in a shop here in Finland. Ordered.
Just fetched the LRGB filter set. That was quick!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I started to experiment with the imaging train. In my living room through window, because it's snowing outside AGAIN!
And now my laptop is upgrading to Windows 11! (Censored!). No way around it. It's either Windows 11, or no Windows at all. Frigging M$ ...heads! I really hope my Ascom-stuff still works.
I'd really like to go and strangle them all!
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

turboscrew wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:29 am I started to experiment with the imaging train. In my living room through window, because it's snowing outside AGAIN!
And now my laptop is upgrading to Windows 11! (Censored!). No way around it. It's either Windows 11, or no Windows at all. Frigging M$ ...heads! I really hope my Ascom-stuff still works.
Get a Mac! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

OzEclipse wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:57 am
turboscrew wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:29 am I started to experiment with the imaging train. In my living room through window, because it's snowing outside AGAIN!
No way. I'd rather install Linux. Just wouldn't like to do that to a new-ish laptop whose Windows 10 I paid for.
And I wonder if there are semi-rugged Macs...
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

turboscrew wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:06 am
No way. I'd rather install Linux. Just wouldn't like to do that to a new-ish laptop whose Windows 10 I paid for.
And I wonder if there are semi-rugged Macs...
Phooh, it didn't upgrade to Windows 11 just yet.

The experimenting through the living room window doesn't seem to work. I guess the trees visible are too close.
And it keeps snowing.
- Juha

DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

I've got a 4yo MacBook Pro that I use for my portable planetarium business: and if I put the latest OS on it then I wont be able to operate any of my old tried and true programmes that are not 64bit compatible, including my MYOB accounting software. I've always believed "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but that doesn't seem to apply to operating systems, whether they are Microsoft or Apple...

... but then again, my business is moribund thanks to COVID restrictions anyway. Lucky my wife is working, so I am a "kept man"... ;)

(PS: What is this "snow" stuff I keep hearing you northerners complaining about? :lol: )
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

DeanD wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:42 pm
I've got a 4yo MacBook Pro that I use for my portable planetarium business: and if I put the latest OS on it then I wont be able to operate any of my old tried and true programmes that are not 64bit compatible, including my MYOB accounting software. I've always believed "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but that doesn't seem to apply to operating systems, whether they are Microsoft or Apple...

... but then again, my business is moribund thanks to COVID restrictions anyway. Lucky my wife is working, so I am a "kept man"... ;)

(PS: What is this "snow" stuff I keep hearing you northerners complaining about? :lol: )
The snow is the white stuff that lands on your mirrors and other optical gear, if you bring your reflector out during the snow fall.

My point about the Windows was, that I bought a semi-rugged laptop not long ago. It should tolerate light drizzle and -30°C (-22°F) temperature. I haven't seen semi-rugged Macs.

The fully rugged laptops are pretty expensive, but my semi-rugged was only about 700 eur.
- Juha

GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Helping my wife get packed for yet another half month long business trip.
Good time to do some observing without waking her up as I move gear, IF the weather breaks in my favor for once.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Behind my back my laptop DID upgrade to Windows 11. The good news is, that the programs seem to work, and after an hour or two, I managed to find out how to shut down the laptop and where to find the programs. Still a bit pissed, but not enough to kill anybody. And the upgrade is inevitable, eventually.
- Juha

Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

I am always reluctant to upgrade my Mac Operating System when updates become available.

Most of the updates are to fix security issues, but others update some of the main component parts.

I know I should also backup my important files before doing an update, but I don't :oops: I don't have any excuses. I have two external hard drives to be able to do the backups, but I suppose I am a little lazy about doing it :roll:

I do have backups of all my photos on an external hard drive, as these are not easily replaced if something went wrong during an update.

My previous Mac OS was macOS 11, also known as Big Sur. The latest update is to version macOS 12, known as Monterey.

Everything went smoothly and all is okay.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:58 am I am always reluctant to upgrade my Mac Operating System when updates become available.

Most of the updates are to fix security issues, but others update some of the main component parts.

I know I should also backup my important files before doing an update, but I don't :oops: I don't have any excuses. I have two external hard drives to be able to do the backups, but I suppose I am a little lazy about doing it :roll:

I do have backups of all my photos on an external hard drive, as these are not easily replaced if something went wrong during an update.

My previous Mac OS was macOS 11, also known as Big Sur. The latest update is to version macOS 12, known as Monterey.

Everything went smoothly and all is okay.
Portable back up drives are getting very cheap. You should at least back up all or your business documents at least once a quarter (US) or in your case to meet record keeping requirements in the UK. Several name brand external drives come with software that will do an automatic daily back-up.

I'm getting ready to do another full back-up because the cat tells me it's almost tax time.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

GCoyote wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:38 am Portable back up drives are getting very cheap. You should at least back up all or your business documents at least once a quarter (US) or in your case to meet record keeping requirements in the UK. Several name brand external drives come with software that will do an automatic daily back-up.

I'm getting ready to do another full back-up because the cat tells me it's almost tax time.
@GCoyote Gary, I know I am a naughty girl for not doing proper backups :naughty: , and I would regret it if something went wrong.

When I backup my photos I also back up my Documents folder (I forgot to mention that in my last post).

My MacBook Pro has disk utility software already included to do backups. As I said though, I am just lazy for not doing them :roll:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

turboscrew wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:48 am Behind my back my laptop DID upgrade to Windows 11. The good news is, that the programs seem to work, and after an hour or two, I managed to find out how to shut down the laptop and where to find the programs. Still a bit pissed, but not enough to kill anybody. And the upgrade is inevitable, eventually.
I work from home - connect to a work VPN, go about my day, etc.

Last spring, my laptop - at the time running Windows 7 - I log in to the VPN and my system starts an upgrade. Okay - fine, it does that - updates and such are controlled by the IT Security dept (I work in IT as well, but not security).

Then it starts to update to Windows 10. I was baffled. It never worked right after that. Less than a week later, I have a new laptop, with Win 10 native. I was livid when that update started, and I was never given a reasonable explanation as to what was going on.

*MY* laptop (as opposed to work laptop) is a 2017 Macbook - and it is starting to show it's age. My battery has been an issue for about a year now. I do not want to get a new one yet as I do not know how parallels is going to work with the M1+ chips and Win 11, and I have a few games that I play in Windows that I still want to be able to play.

First world problems.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

MacOS, I think, is based on BSD Unix, so there should be nice backup programs. In Linux I have a backup partition, and program called "TimeShift". It's set to do backups automatically once a month, while I'm sleeping. Just have to remember to leave the machine running. If it misses the set time, it retries at the next opportunity.
You can set the backup period quite freely. It's easy.
TimeShift1.png
TimeShift2.png
TimeShift3.png
Someone might say that it's bad idea to backup on the same disk, but this disk is rotating rust, not SSD, and ddrescue is quite good in getting the data from even partially broken disk, and every once in a while, I do backup onto external hard drive.
- Juha