What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: What have you been up to lately?

Post by DEnc »

On the topic of moving, we just purchased a property in Humboldt County, in northern California. We've been looking for a year and a half: the county shut down a little over a year ago during the early months of COVID, and once it reopened the real estate inventory was a fraction of the usual. Our long game has payed off, though, we're really happy with the new place. Except....

The prospects for the night sky aren't as good as our prior home in southern CA. A plot of a year and a half's night time cloud cover is below. Also our slice of heaven has a half acre of second growth redwoods obscuring all but a slice of ~30* of the southern sky. They are beautiful, but holy smokes they're tall! But there are some fine sites for remote set up in the mountains to the east.

We will close at the end of March, have some work done, then recover our belongings from the mover's warehouses in LA.

Speaking of that "long game" and warehouses, I haven't had the 'scope out for 8 months!

Picture1.png
Picture1.jpg
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

DEnc wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:19 am On the topic of moving, we just purchased a property in Humboldt County, in northern California. We've been looking for a year and a half: the county shut down a little over a year ago during the early months of COVID, and once it reopened the real estate inventory was a fraction of the usual. Our long game has payed off, though, we're really happy with the new place. Except....

The prospects for the night sky aren't as good as our prior home in southern CA. A plot of a year and a half's night time cloud cover is below. Also our slice of heaven has a half acre of second growth redwoods obscuring all but a slice of ~30* of the southern sky. They are beautiful, but holy smokes they're tall! But there are some fine sites for remote set up in the mountains to the east.

We will close at the end of March, have some work done, then recover our belongings from the mover's warehouses in LA.

Speaking of that "long game" and warehouses, I haven't had the 'scope out for 8 months!

I hope your move is more than satisfactory!
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

Thank you! It's been such a long slog that any progress at all is welcome.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

DEnc wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:19 am
I know what you are talking about!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

The health club I joined not long ago (owned by a local hospital) has two locations. One is about 10 minutes from home and the other about 20. I hadn't gone to the farther one, but decided to try it yesterday. Boo-yah! Two lap pools versus one, a hotter sauna (180*F), and a 9-foot deep exercise (?) pool.

I much prefer swimming in deep water - keeps me honest - but deep-water pools are rare around here. I guess places are too worried about liability if somebody drowns.

Anyway, a happy discovery. And the benches in the sauna feel more comfortable. Bonus!
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:41 pm The health club I joined not long ago (owned by a local hospital) has two locations. One is about 10 minutes from home and the other about 20. I hadn't gone to the farther one, but decided to try it yesterday. Boo-yah! Two lap pools versus one, a hotter sauna (180*F), and a 9-foot deep exercise (?) pool.

I much prefer swimming in deep water - keeps me honest - but deep-water pools are rare around here. I guess places are too worried about liability if somebody drowns.

Anyway, a happy discovery. And the benches in the sauna feel more comfortable. Bonus!
Nice! The most popular sauna temperature here in Finland.
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

The weather gods seem to be getting desperate. :lol:
I needed to go to a shop, and no new snow to shovel first. And I even got to peek at M42 last weekend. They must be outraged. Now one of the tyres was buried 10 cm (4") in ice. Had to jack that corner of my car up and stuff a piece of 2 by 4 in the hole in the ice.
- Juha

Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Doin' the taxes. One of the on-line fillable forms (1040) has a blank spot. If you put in a number it doesn't show up in the printable copy. None of the fields in the forms line up with the wording of the form. Nice job IRS - if those fillable fields didn't have popup explanations (when you hover the mouse over them) it would be impossible to fill out the form. I guess they got rid of all the various 1040 forms - except the SR (senior/retired) and it's only claim to fame is a larger font size. No more 1040A or EZ. I guess our government is making sure that H&R Block, TaxCut, etc stay in business. I just don't understand why the government doesn't BILL us. They know how much we owe... they should send a bill and then if you have corrections then you make them and send them back. But nooooo.... I had to enter 5 different 1099R forms (pension/annuity types of forms) by hand that they already have. Very efficient! Please note that I'm drooling sarcasm here. Almost done... just have to have the wifey double check that I didn't get a digit in the wrong place or a wrong digit.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Star Dad wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:56 pm Doin' the taxes. One of the on-line fillable forms (1040) has a blank spot. If you put in a number it doesn't show up in the printable copy. None of the fields in the forms line up with the wording of the form. Nice job IRS - if those fillable fields didn't have popup explanations (when you hover the mouse over them) it would be impossible to fill out the form. I guess they got rid of all the various 1040 forms - except the SR (senior/retired) and it's only claim to fame is a larger font size. No more 1040A or EZ. I guess our government is making sure that H&R Block, TaxCut, etc stay in business. I just don't understand why the government doesn't BILL us. They know how much we owe... they should send a bill and then if you have corrections then you make them and send them back. But nooooo.... I had to enter 5 different 1099R forms (pension/annuity types of forms) by hand that they already have. Very efficient! Please note that I'm drooling sarcasm here. Almost done... just have to have the wifey double check that I didn't get a digit in the wrong place or a wrong digit.
In here, the government sends us tax suggestions based on previous year and what they've got to know since. If it looks right, you don't do anything. If there are errors, or needed changes, you only add those on a web form. You have about one month to check and make corrections. So it's doable, we do it here.
- Juha

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

One last night to get out under the night sky until probably late March or early April.
I'm hoping the winds hold off. Planning on starting an M51 project with the new scope/camera/filters/mount.
Basically the entire rig is new since I last shot this with the 1600mm and ED127.
Tonight, will be the beginning of this target with the 2600mm and ED152.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Star Dad wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:56 pm Doin' the taxes. One of the on-line fillable forms (1040) has a blank spot. If you put in a number it doesn't show up in the printable copy. None of the fields in the forms line up with the wording of the form. Nice job IRS - if those fillable fields didn't have popup explanations (when you hover the mouse over them) it would be impossible to fill out the form. I guess they got rid of all the various 1040 forms - except the SR (senior/retired) and it's only claim to fame is a larger font size. No more 1040A or EZ. I guess our government is making sure that H&R Block, TaxCut, etc stay in business. I just don't understand why the government doesn't BILL us. They know how much we owe... they should send a bill and then if you have corrections then you make them and send them back. But nooooo.... I had to enter 5 different 1099R forms (pension/annuity types of forms) by hand that they already have. Very efficient! Please note that I'm drooling sarcasm here. Almost done... just have to have the wifey double check that I didn't get a digit in the wrong place or a wrong digit.
One of the things I do is my 83-year old mom's taxes. The state of California taxed her social security benefit in 2020 which I finally resolved last week after 3 phone calls, 2 letters, an email to her state representative, an email to the controller Betty Yee, etc. After much wrangling she finally received a check paying her back for the FTB's erroneous calculation, $1680 - plus she qualified for the $600 stimulus so that came the next day.
Nice. I am just getting ready to fill out her 2021 taxes.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

turboscrew wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:14 pm In here, the government sends us tax suggestions based on previous year and what they've got to know since. If it looks right, you don't do anything. If there are errors, or needed changes, you only add those on a web form. You have about one month to check and make corrections. So it's doable, we do it here.
Thing is that the US tax law can be so arcane and convoluted that tax accountants will probably always have business.

(I worked for H&R Block as a side job several years ago. I like tax accounting, but it's not always for the faint of heart. And those are among the reasons why I pay an IRS enrolled agent to do my taxes. YMMV.)

Addendum - here's a link to 151 IRS publications for individuals. Obviously, not all would apply in all cases. Enjoy!

https://www.irs.gov/site-index-search?s ... nce%3A6566
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

pakarinen wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:56 am (I worked for H&R Block as a side job several years ago. I like tax accounting, but it's not always for the faint of heart.
Finns are known to be a bit masochistic, but not THAT masochistic.
- Juha

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

turboscrew wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:17 am
pakarinen wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:56 am (I worked for H&R Block as a side job several years ago. I like tax accounting, but it's not always for the faint of heart.
Finns are known to be a bit masochistic [...]
And thus sauna endurance contests. :D
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Some frustration is, again, creeping in.

This evening, when it was - and still is - cold enough, I tried to do some tests to the newly fixed CEM120.
Didn't go well. When I started, around 11 PM (23:00 for Europeans :wink:), it was -9°C (16°F).
Of course I didn't remember to check the coordinates and time first.
Then polar alignment.
Then one star alignment... well no. It wasn't even in the "hood". Tried to use Pollux, but the tube pointed somewhere in Cancer. I tried to wrestle, but the problem won - I didn't get it aligned - not even to the right constellation.
Nice way to spend some hours out in the night, right?
At around 2 AM (-11°C, 12°F) I decided to haul everything back in. Have to look into it later.
Even if there was a sound, like grains of sand somewhere in the mount gears, I think the problem is in the settings.
When I tried to star-align using Pollux, the RA actually run PAST it!? Weird.
- Juha

GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

pakarinen wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:56 am
turboscrew wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:14 pm In here, the government sends us tax suggestions based on previous year and what they've got to know since. If it looks right, you don't do anything. If there are errors, or needed changes, you only add those on a web form. You have about one month to check and make corrections. So it's doable, we do it here.
Thing is that the US tax law can be so arcane and convoluted that tax accountants will probably always have business.

(I worked for H&R Block as a side job several years ago. I like tax accounting, but it's not always for the faint of heart. And those are among the reasons why I pay an IRS enrolled agent to do my taxes. YMMV.)

Addendum - here's a link to 151 IRS publications for individuals. Obviously, not all would apply in all cases. Enjoy!

https://www.irs.gov/site-index-search?s ... nce%3A6566
I worked for them back in the `90s. It was interesting while it lasted.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Taxes are finally done. Woo Hoo! It only took 4 federal submission until they accepted it - why? Because the TIN (business id) on the forms were placed in different locations and I hadn't caught the fact, so I was putting the wrong 9 digit code in a couple of the stupid forms - which they already had an electronic copy of. Why can't they link it automatically? The lack of automation at the IRS is stunning. Ancient computer systems. And mostly it's actually Congress' fault. Why not just a simple form - 2 lines.
1. How much did you make (income)
2. Multiply by 10% - tax owed
send it in.

simple - and EVERYONE pays their fair share - even the rich folk. Everyone should have a stake in their government.

State taxes are much easier - but still there some idiotic nuances. In CT you have to declare real estate taxes... but you can only get $200 max knocked off your bill.... that means cars, campers, house, boat, etc have to be declared (only three max though). And then if you make too much income you get nothing knocked off - so why put the stupid form in. <sigh> And each year it seems there are more and more esoteric deductions and additions... none of which apply to 99% of the people. CT used to be really easy - how much federal income? Deduct all state/local taxes paid. Calculate taxes. Done - took all of about 15 minutes. This year was 90 minutes - start to finish. All the while praying the computer wouldn't crash in mid session and I'd have to start over. Well, I'm celebrating tonight... another year around the Sun and taxes are done!
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

In Finland, the government collects the government's tax, the community tax (city tax), the church tax and the so called YLE-tax (public TV and radio broadcasting organization), and forwards their shares to the appropriate organizations. That happened even when we still needed to fill paper forms.
- Juha

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Star Dad wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:15 pm Taxes are finally done. Woo Hoo! It only took 4 federal submission until they accepted it - why? Because the TIN (business id) on the forms were placed in different locations and I hadn't caught the fact, so I was putting the wrong 9 digit code in a couple of the stupid forms - which they already had an electronic copy of. Why can't they link it automatically? The lack of automation at the IRS is stunning. Ancient computer systems. And mostly it's actually Congress' fault. Why not just a simple form - 2 lines.
send it in.

simple - and EVERYONE pays their fair share - even the rich folk. Everyone should have a stake in their government.

State taxes are much easier - but still there some idiotic nuances. In CT you have to declare real estate taxes... but you can only get $200 max knocked off your bill.... that means cars, campers, house, boat, etc have to be declared (only three max though). And then if you make too much income you get nothing knocked off - so why put the stupid form in. <sigh> And each year it seems there are more and more esoteric deductions and additions... none of which apply to 99% of the people. CT used to be really easy - how much federal income? Deduct all state/local taxes paid. Calculate taxes. Done - took all of about 15 minutes. This year was 90 minutes - start to finish. All the while praying the computer wouldn't crash in mid session and I'd have to start over. Well, I'm celebrating tonight... another year around the Sun and taxes are done!
Here in California the tax administration (franchise tax board) issues form 540 and variants and you have to print it out (or fill in) on their website. The form is 5 pages long with jillions of options. Why not reduce it to one page? (And I am not including deductions and itemizations, those schedules have to be attached to form 540), so your submission ends up being 7-9 pages.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

helicon wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:51 pm
Star Dad wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:15 pm Taxes are finally done. Woo Hoo! It only took 4 federal submission until they accepted it - why? Because the TIN (business id) on the forms were placed in different locations and I hadn't caught the fact, so I was putting the wrong 9 digit code in a couple of the stupid forms - which they already had an electronic copy of. Why can't they link it automatically? The lack of automation at the IRS is stunning. Ancient computer systems. And mostly it's actually Congress' fault. Why not just a simple form - 2 lines.
send it in.

Here in California the tax administration (franchise tax board) issues form 540 and variants and you have to print it out (or fill in) on their website. The form is 5 pages long with jillions of options. Why not reduce it to one page? (And I am not including deductions and itemizations, those schedules have to be attached to form 540), so your submission ends up being 7-9 pages.
I used to do taxes years ago, taxes are complicated because life can be complicated.

Kids, no kids, owner, renter, owning 2 houses, rent one out or vacation, divorced, boat owner, telescope owner, RV owner etc.

Wait a minute, telescope owner? 😆 We only wish LOL
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D