What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What have you been up to lately?

Post by Bigzmey »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:12 pm Got a hockey puck (adapter) to use on top of my Twilight-1 tripod. Couldn't mount my SW AZ5 on the pod since the pod has one of those post-thingies on top. Puck has a notch that fits around the post, AZ5 screws onto a 3/8 bolt on the top of the puck, and Bazinga!

Now if it would clear up, I could test my 102ED on it. The AZ5 combined with my Manfrotto 475B is a bit too shaky when focusing the 102. OTOH, the TW-1 combo is transforming from a grab-n-go to a grab-n-lug. We shall see...

If this doesn't work, I'll have to order a SkyTee or something.
Skytee 2 is a great mount, for it's 60lb payload it is relatively lightweight, rock steady and you can load up to 3 scopes on it, but I would not call it grab and go. :lol: I have tried a few lighter mounts for my SV102ED and my favorite is SW AZGti, and you are half way there since you already got the puck to adapt it to T1 tripod!
SV102-AZGti.jpg
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Wow. Aside from the logo (and extra dew shield), my 102 looks like a twin of yours on the outside, down to the color of the fine focus knob.

Anyway, good to know the AZ-Gti is a possibility. What's the approx. weight of your SV?
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

turboscrew wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:00 pm My CEM120 just returned home from its long trip to Germany. Image
Too bad, the new snowfall is starting, and after that the snow shoveling, before it's even possible to set it up.
Another question is if its worth it due to the clouds...

Hmm, by the weather forecasts, not this month. Hopefully early next month.
Chances to take a peek at Orion are gone for this year (too). (Sigh.)
Congratulations with the reunion, at the same time your season must be almost over! I wonder if something easily serviceable like a Losmandy G11 would have been a better choice given the brutal conditions. That's water under the bridge now, I hope it works for you and that you get some time under the stars with it in good working order.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

As I've posted before, my wifey and I are armorers for our local high school fencing team. We had a novice tournament 2 weekends ago. She got a stomach bug - and apparently I fought it off but have finally succumbed to it too. I lost all taste two days ago, but got a negative result from a COVID test plus there's no respiratory symptoms. I am ready for a colonoscopy... too bad I don't need one for a couple more years - now would be a perfect time. This has been an unusual month of clear skies - 4 so far - and I've missed two of them thanks to the bug. There's still a lot of rumbling around the middle area - if you get what I mean. First time I've been sick since COVID first hit. But being with a bunch of teenagers all day in a hot, sweaty, closed environment was bound to cause some problems - even with masks. You can't have a mask on while eating/drinking - so c'est la vie. Anyway, I got a new toy. A couple of years ago I bought a f8 500mm fl lens for a Minolta Camera - film type. I found on line a T adapter so I can mount it to my Cannon 70D. According to an online lens analyzing site it's supposed to give about a 2 degree field of view. Can't wait to try it out as an imaging camera. Maybe that's why I'm sick? Do the medical gods conspire with the cloud gods? :)
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Star Dad wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:02 pm Can't wait to try it out as an imaging camera. Maybe that's why I'm sick? Do the medical gods conspire with the cloud gods? :)
I've been suspecting that there's something going on between the gods, although I think I experienced a joint attack by cloud gods, gear gods and logistics gods.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

SkyHiker wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:15 pm
turboscrew wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:00 pm My CEM120 just returned home from its long trip to Germany. Image
Too bad, the new snowfall is starting, and after that the snow shoveling, before it's even possible to set it up.

Congratulations with the reunion, at the same time your season must be almost over! I wonder if something easily serviceable like a Losmandy G11 would have been a better choice given the brutal conditions. That's water under the bridge now, I hope it works for you and that you get some time under the stars with it in good working order.
Juha,

Perhaps you can just do much of your observing/photography during your summer when conditions are not so brutal. This Icarus filter might be the solution to your summer observing problems.

Cheers

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

pakarinen wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:35 pm Wow. Aside from the logo (and extra dew shield), my 102 looks like a twin of yours on the outside, down to the color of the fine focus knob.

Anyway, good to know the AZ-Gti is a possibility. What's the approx. weight of your SV?
Listed weight is 9.2 lb which feels right. Yes, the hardware looks identical (sourced from the same factory?). Which is a good thing since it is of top quality. Does your scope also need extension tube to reach focus with EPs? I had to get 50mm and 25mm extensions to use with 1.25" and 2" diagonals, respectively.

And extra dew shield I made myself :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:58 am Listed weight is 9.2 lb which feels right. Yes, the hardware looks identical (sourced from the same factory?). Which is a good thing since it is of top quality. Does your scope also need extension tube to reach focus with EPs? I had to get 50mm and 25mm extensions to use with 1.25" and 2" diagonals, respectively.
Hmmm, my 102 weighs in at a hair under 10 pounds. I suppose my scale could be off (and could explain why I seem to be 15 pounds overweight :whistle: ).

I've only tried a couple of EPs (clouds), but no problem reaching focus.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

OzEclipse wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:30 am
SkyHiker wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:15 pm

Juha,

Perhaps you can just do much of your observing/photography during your summer when conditions are not so brutal. This Icarus filter might be the solution to your summer observing problems.

Cheers

Joe
I've seen that before. (Premiered Apr 1, 2021)
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Keeping busy with my wife still on an extended business trip.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Work and shoveling snow. Not much time for anything else.
Yesterday
IMG_20220222_165629_small.jpg
Today finished. Even Vili gets out again if he wants to.
IMG_20220223_181332_small.jpg
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:21 am The failure of the Orion SSIII mount has really cut down on short grab'n go sessions. So I've ordered an SSIV that is wireless controllable and so not subject to the same failure mode. ;) Maybe ther'll be another one? :lol:

Also jiggering with the ship date since I am invited to another voyage to SLC. It seems grandad is needed to stimulate interest in calculus. :) The science inclined one needs no motivational lecture. The business inclined one will have the usefulness of higher maths in optimization, finance and (most importantly) video games as carrots. :)

Here come the quaternions! :lol:
The Orion folks were very cooperative about rescheduling delivery of the SSIV until I returned from SLC. It arrived today.

It ALSO looks like there was a massive communications failure with my daughter. My grandson's situation is completely different from my understanding. He wants to start taking calculus yesterday and doesn't understand the necessity of prerequisites like algebra, geometry and trigonometry. So the motivational talk was centered on how one needs to understand these things before you can set up a calculus problem properly. We did have a discussion about rotations and quaternions though.....
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

turboscrew wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:42 pm Work and shoveling snow. Not much time for anything else.
Yesterday

Today finished. Even Vili gets out again if he wants to.
Yucky!
:o
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

After my 3 day trip turned into an almost 3 week visit with my dad, I am finally getting back to Charlotte tomorrow.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Well, it's time to plan for moving yet again. Between family considerations and being too close to western wildfires (which severely inhibit useful observing time) there is a less than 10% chance that my current location is tenable.

I've been looking online for archival smoke distribution maps/imagery without adequate success. Even a mean prevailing wind flow map for the US would be helpful. Of course I could simply hunker in place until all that can burn is burnt..... might take a while though.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 220009.htm
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:00 pm Well, it's time to plan for moving yet again. Between family considerations and being too close to western wildfires (which severely inhibit useful observing time) there is a less than 10% chance that my current location is tenable.
You would want to stay west of the Rockies for the darkest skies and unfortunately, no place is clear of the smoke from the west. Even down here in southern Nevada, northern Arizona, we are constantly dealing with the California forest fire smoke.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I'm headed out to a dark site tonight for the first time in 2022. At the beginning of the year, I did a bit of backyard Ha imaging but tonight will be my first opportunity to get some broadband data on the Horsehead. This might be my last chance before it is too low in the west. It's already on the west side of the meridian at astronomical dark so I'm only getting about 3 hours on it.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

AstroBee wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:02 pm I'm headed out to a dark site tonight for the first time in 2022. At the beginning of the year, I did a bit of backyard Ha imaging but tonight will be my first opportunity to get some broadband data on the Horsehead. This might be my last chance before it is too low in the west. It's already on the west side of the meridian at astronomical dark so I'm only getting about 3 hours on it.
Good luck! May the gods of bad weather not notice what you are up to.
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

AstroBee wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:59 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:00 pm Well, it's time to plan for moving yet again. Between family considerations and being too close to western wildfires (which severely inhibit useful observing time) there is a less than 10% chance that my current location is tenable.
You would want to stay west of the Rockies for the darkest skies and unfortunately, no place is clear of the smoke from the west. Even down here in southern Nevada, northern Arizona, we are constantly dealing with the California forest fire smoke.
I might be willing to sacrifice some sky darkness for being occasionally smoke free. Some regions in Appalachia get pretty dark and are occasionally smoke free. Also some rural midwest locations might be all right. I think I have maybe only one move left in me before my "final resting place". ;) So I need to be careful get this optimized.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I've been looking online for archival smoke distribution maps/imagery without adequate success. Even a mean prevailing wind flow map for the US would be helpful. Of course I could simply hunker in place until all that can burn is burnt..... might take a while though.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 220009.htm
I don't know if you are fan of desert living, but some of South West locations offer dark skies with dry weather most of the year. We do get wild fires, but since there is much less vegetations here than in the North they don't last as long and don't produce as much smoke.