What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: What have you been up to lately?

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The crazy half and I went for a hike to the village of Štôla after supper.
About 5 kms each way. We had a pint on the terrace and enjoyed the views of the valley and high tatras.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

I'm up to 192 species identifications in the iNaturalist app. Fifty one observations were logged around the house. The image is color coded for broad taxonomic groups, e.g., plants, vertebrates, etc.
Picture1.png
DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

I have no photometry data so I thought I’d have a look at our hourly power use over the last 6 months, just to practice. The dominant period was 12 hours—nice! A secondary was 24 hours—probable harmonic? There are some tools to tease this apart in Grant Foster’s Analyzing Light Curves: A Practical Guide.

If we weren’t retired we might pick up the weekday/weekend difference too. I’m sure there’ll be some seasonal differences as more data are added.

BTW, the author’s tools are available at the AAVSO website as R scripts, or as a package in the VStar app.
Picture1.jpg
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

I got a repeater to connect with my tin can observatory. It allowed me to connect via WiFi but dang now the ethernet cable is no longer working. I like that cable for fast copying from the Pi4b to my laptop. Of course, I blamed the Pi first and started troubleshooting in Raspbian Linux. This took me a long time until I decided to check if my Galaxy could connect to the Pi with an ethernet to micro-USB. It worked! That means that the Pi is fine and that my laptop's ethernet is broken. The laptop is not even 13 years old, should I return it? I troubleshooted what I could but could not get it to show up under network adapters. In the device manager it was a hidden device and said that it was not connected to the laptop. Rebooting, updating, nothing worked. Eventually I started disassembling the laptop but gave up - maybe it's time to upgrade. Put everything back together, battery back in, boot... and my ethernet adapter shows up! I can connect to the Pi fine. Success for no reason whatsoever but I'll take it!
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:34 am The laptop is not even 13 years old, should I return it?

🤣
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Graeme1858 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:12 am
SkyHiker wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:34 am The laptop is not even 13 years old, should I return it?

🤣
If it was a Mac it would be a "Vintage ++++++"...
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I may be scarce in the next couple of weeks. FINALLY! Woo Hoo! :occasion-balloons: The equipment for our new heat pump systems has arrived, and the contractor begins work on Monday. I hope the skies are cloudy for the next three weeks.... well they've been cloudy for the last month, so I guess I need not worry what with Canada going down in flames and all. But I have to get my "new" office (I took down a wall between two small bedrooms to make one larger room) ready before the inspectors come to look at the heat pump installation. Apparently, to get my refund, I have to get another Certificate Of Occupancy. Red Tape. <sigh> But getting RELIABLE heat will be very much appreciated. Hopefully no more frozen pipes just because it got down to 2 degrees Fahrenheit. Or the system just shutting because it didn't feel like igniting the gas. Cheers! :beer:
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

CO2 Emission Accounting

@DEnc post https://theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.p ... 87#p247687 reminded me that I recently downloaded and analysed the past 2 years of power consumption data for my house between 9 July 2021 and 9July 2023. I also know how much gas and firewood I've used.

I wanted to see how I was faring against OECD benchmarks:-
OECD average 11.5 ton per capita per annum
Australian Population average 22.4 ton per capita per annum

When I take all energy forms into account, electricity, gas and wood. This is what I get:-
Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 10.26.12 am.png
I export more electricity to the grid than I use.

Burning wood for heating bumps that up a bit but overall, living comfortably in my house results in average emissions of about 950kg of CO2 per annum
Important to note that this total does not include running my car which adds another 6.8 tons of CO2. My consumption this past two years has been boosted by a trip to Queensland Astrofest July 2022 and the eclipse trip to WA this year cumulatively adding 17000km out of the 28000km travelled in this period. Even so, this brings my total to 7.75 tons less than 3/4 of the OECD average and way below the 22.4 ton average of other Australians. WTH are they doing? Perhaps they're heating their backyards?

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

I'm out capturing M71, M56 and NGC 6760 for Alan's Bi-Monthly Challenge and the outside light came on, I forgot to switch off the sensor. I thought, bloody cats! But it wasn't a cat that triggered the light, it was a hedgehog! So that's nice, haven't seen one for years.

Graeme

OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Left work early on Friday to drive up to my dark sky property. Did a quick food shop, packed, hit the road. I had travelled 110km along the 160km journey when I realised I'd left the house keys back in Canberra. Road was a narrow winding section, so I had to drive another 5km before I could turn around. Got back to Canberra after 2+ hrs driving. Friday night was the only clear night so I gave up and stayed in Canberra for the weekend.

:oops:
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

OzEclipse wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:10 am Left work early on Friday to drive up to my dark sky property. Did a quick food shop, packed, hit the road. I had travelled 110km along the 160km journey when I realised I'd left the house keys back in Canberra. Road was a narrow winding section, so I had to drive another 5km before I could turn around. Got back to Canberra after 2+ hrs driving. Friday night was the only clear night so I gave up and stayed in Canberra for the weekend.

What a pain!
Sounds like a good argument for a nice hiding place for a spare key...
I think I would have been tempted to try my house-breaking skills.

Wishing you better luck for your next trip! :)
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

DeanD wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:49 am
OzEclipse wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:10 am Left work early on Friday to drive up to my dark sky property. Did a quick food shop, packed, hit the road. I had travelled 110km along the 160km journey when I realised I'd left the house keys back in Canberra. Road was a narrow winding section, so I had to drive another 5km before I could turn around. Got back to Canberra after 2+ hrs driving. Friday night was the only clear night so I gave up and stayed in Canberra for the weekend.

What a pain!
Sounds like a good argument for a nice hiding place for a spare key...
I think I would have been tempted to try my house-breaking skills.

Wishing you better luck for your next trip! :)
Hi Dean,
I can only get in by smashing a window. House is otherwise quite securely locked. And then, I would have had to leave the house unsecured. I only have one of each key at present.

I have already removed and repaired one deadlock lock and have trouble where I have to fiddle with a couple of others. When I am back living there in August after this job, I'm going to get the whole house re-locked by a locksmith. Then I'll have spare keys.

Joe
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

With my wrist finally getting significantly better I am getting back in the game. Last night I decided to swap the Mak-Newt with OAG/filter wheel/ASI2600MM for the 12" GSO astrograph Newt with OAG/CC/ASI2600MC. This may not sound like a big deal but the more equipment you pile on the harder it is to swap the optics. I have a box full of adapters that come from who knows where. Today I am sitting down to figure out - and document - how to put it all together. It is a mess. One painful thing is that I had to use a huge plumbers wrench to loosen an adapter ring on my ASI2600MM. Why? Because my OAG only fits in 6 positions and its prism has to be placed precisely at one of the long ends of the sensor. So, when I put it together, I torqued it too much to make up the difference. Otherwise, I have to mess with shims made from sardine can lids. Hopefully today I can put an end to the madness and make a box for my adapters with documentation where they come from and what to use them for.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

DEnc wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:49 pm
Frankskywatcher wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:10 am SHINGLE’S :::
I have been dealing with a bout of shingles!....I’m very curious, as to who else here has had to deal with that affliction and their experience’s dealing with it?

I hear that shingles can be excruciating. Thankfully the Shingrix vaccine is “spectacularly effective”. Perhaps once symptoms subside it’s “worth a shot”?

I’m buried in the author line of this first-in-humans test of one of the components of the vaccine, the adjuvant MPL. (I spearheaded the development and execution of the lab testing of the T cell responses in the trial.) Funny, from internal R&D I knew I was a high responder to MPL, and sure enough, decades later when I got the Shingrix vaccination, I felt the worst I’ve been in decades—flu-like symptoms for two days. But that’s what it takes to get the robust response to the vaccine antigen, and apparently it’s far milder than the symptoms of shingles.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12399193/

Interesting. Since nearly everyone in my family past the age of 60 has gotten shingles at some point I went ahead and got vaccinated a few years ago. About two months ago I developed a rash on my left side. Wasn't sure what it was, just a mild itch but it kept spreading so got checked out. Turned out to be a rare break-through case of shingles. They gave me the standard meds for for it but after a couple of days the symptoms negligible with the dermatologist said was normal in break-through cases.

Really glad I'd gotten vaccinated at that point.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

What I've been up to mostly is gardening, heat and humidity permitting:

Front of the house -
Front Beds 20230604 sm.jpg
The seating area of the patio -
Patio 20230717 sm.jpg
The wildlife feeding area -
pool 20230717_sm.jpg
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I've been sitting inside, trying to limit my exposure to wildfire smoke. Heavy rain last night, so maybe some of the schmutz has been washed away or moved on. We're right on the line between good and moderate air quality right now.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

UPDATE :: MAKUSER

I’m not sure how many of you may have noticed that Marshall a.k.a. MAKUSER has been conspicuous by his absence.
While going for a routine doctors visit he was immediately referred to the emergency room i.e. hospital for a few things that his doctor had noticed.
He asked me to let you all know that is why he has been absent and to please think of him while he is in hospital.
He hopes to be released mid week of next week and that he will keep me updated and I will do the same to the forum.
All The Best Frank
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Thanks for the Update Frank.

Let's hope he's feeling better and home soon.

Regards

Graeme

Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:58 pm Thanks for the Update Frank.

Let's hope he's feeling better and home soon.

Regards

Graeme
Thanks and I con cur.
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Woke up at 0230, so I decided to take out the 102. It was 50-60% cloudy, but experience has taught me a sky like last night often clears by dawn, so although I could only see an area around Jupiter, I decided to stick it out. And bazinga! Clouds cleared and I had a good couple of hours of observing before dawn. :D

Also switched to a spiral-bound journal to take notes instead of using a voice recorder and transcribing them later. One advantage to old school paper is I can do quick sketches when I'm taking notes.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s