What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: What have you been up to lately?

Post by John Donne »

pakarinen wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:58 am
John Donne wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:38 am At the Tractor pull in Shipshewana. 🙂
Wait, what? I was in Shipshe a few weeks ago and honestly, I don't think I saw one tractor, just a crapton of draft horses and horsedrawn buggies. Couldn't figure out why the sideroads had long, narrow patches in the asphalt. Then I realized that's where the horses trot and their shoes must abrade the pavement. :lol:
There are also acres and acres of travel trailers here. We came over to a Gunshow...stayed in a B&B next to the expo center where they have all sorts of events. It was tractor pull time. First night was crazy with the noise. Second night we joined the throng.
It was quit fun really. We had never been to such an event.
Men and women, fathers and sons and daughters driving tons of power, dragging a progressively weighted sled down a packed earth runway. The roar of the engines, really it was like rolling thunder.

It was great fun...
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

@John Donne Your tractor pull Mark sounds a little bit too noisy and frenetic for my taste :lol:

We don't have anything like that here, but the New Forest Show usually has a display of 'old-fashioned' tractors. Great big heavy metal wheels and steam driven.

They have a couple of them attached to a threshing machine, which is quite a spectacle and interesting to see how the process used to be done before modern technology took over.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

@Butterfly Maiden
The Tractor pull was very very noise...I would compare to a rock concert. It is the first time for us.
We have another place near us where there are steam tractor operations and antique farm equipment.
The drive a saw mill from one of the PTO on a steem tractor.
The steem engine farm machines are amazing !
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

@John Donne The steam-driven displays are much more my scene Mark. Quieter and more relaxed, and gives an insight to what it was like in the olden days.

I often think about what life must have been like back then. Much harder obviously but maybe more satisfying.

Anyway, that is digressing slightly. Maybe a subject for a specific Topic discussion from anyone with a historical interest of such times.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

To cap off our day we took a carriage ride around the town. Me, Bonnie, and the Percheron "Thunder"
signal-2022-08-28-08-48-23-055-3.jpg

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I (finally) have a few minutes to write. Got some sort of crazy bug. All the joints are very stiff - had a fever last night, but Yukon Jack (a semi-sweet liquor) killed that. Kind of a weird illness - at first I thought I had pulled some muscles, but I couldn't recall doing anything strenuous. Now on my third day of whatever it is and getting better. Yukon Jack is amazing stuff and I highly recommend 2 shots. Let it linger in the mouth and throat - it seems to kill bad things. :)

For those that haven't been tracking my exploits - I've recently gotten a Raspberry Pi4B to replace my getting ever more wonky laptop for astrophotography. And yes, the weather gods are in collusion with the shy star gods. This past week every day's prediction says tomorrow will be clear and then tomorrow comes and it's cloudy. Naturally it's new moon time and the weather gods now say it'll be three more nights till clear skies - and I don't believe them. I *really* need to get my laptop windows partition replaced. But I need to make sure the Pi will work. There is so much new stuff to learn.

Progress on the Harriet Lane model (in another thread) is stalled. I'm now getting running rigging started on the main mast and it's taking me a full 30 minutes to get one block attached. At this rate I'll be long dead before I get the kit finished. There are probably 70 blocks in-toto . But maybe I've come up with a quicker method of getting the blocks rigged/tied using needle nose pliers and a weird knot and finally a dab of glue.

My garden is doing well. Got one tiny cucumber, one yellow squash is about 4 inches long and since I put up the chicken wire fencing no deer have eaten my plants. Fending off squash bugs is a daily task. Roma tomatoes are coming in in droves. I tried a purple pepper, but I certainly didn't get a pint of purple peppers... just little slightly larger than golf balls sized ones. I'm not going to use that variety again.

Fall is on it's way and my calendar looks like it has jaundice with the next couple of months getting booked with fun things to do. Best wishes everyone!
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Star Dad wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:00 pm I (finally) have a few minutes to write. Got some sort of crazy bug. All the joints are very stiff - had a fever last night, but Yukon Jack (a semi-sweet liquor) killed that. Kind of a weird illness - at first I thought I had pulled some muscles, but I couldn't recall doing anything strenuous. Now on my third day of whatever it is and getting better. Yukon Jack is amazing stuff and I highly recommend 2 shots. Let it linger in the mouth and throat - it seems to kill bad things. :)
Sounds similar to whatever I've had except mine has lasted about 6 weeks and mostly affecting joints and muscles in the legs and causing swelling, but only legs not the upper body. No other symptoms of illness though and I didn't feel like I was sick. More like an outbreak of arthritic pain in the joints + muscles. My knee felt like I'd torn a meniscus cartilage. I also wondered if it was Ross River Fever.

Just over the past few days, it's finally seems to be coming good. Yesterday I walked 500m in mild pain and that's the longest I've been able to walk in weeks. Today it was wild rain or I would have walked further. For reference, I usually do a 4-5km brisk walk most days without any trouble at all.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

It is *possible* I've gotten Lyme Disease. I find it doubtful as I haven't seen any ticks and it's usually associated with joints, not muscles... I've taken AAATT (3 Advil and 2 Tylenol) today as there was a lot of pain and I have to say that I am more mobile than I have been recently. BTW AAATT was recommended to me by a Navy physician as an alternative to opioids to control pain. It's been 9 years since I used it last, but it does seem to work quite well. It is weird losing the strength that I know I have. Hope you get better soon!

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

John Donne wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:59 pm To cap off our day we took a carriage ride around the town. Me, Bonnie, and the Percheron "Thunder"
I might have seen Thunder if he hangs out at the carriage ride stall in town. But there are probably more than one carriage rides there.

Anyway, back from two nights camping in Bortle 4 southern Wisconsin. First night was 100% clouds, but it cleared up last night. Had my 80mm with me, but too many tall pines at my campsite to see much except to the east. Fabulous Milky Way cruising though (gobs of stars compared to my B7-8 home) and M39 was impressive. Maybe I'll take my 15x70s there next time for a little more portability if I go roaming for more open sky.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

My wife had a sliding patella for 30+ years thanks to a torn tendon. She had, what turned out to be a fairly simple surgery 2 weeks ago to repair it, but she has been down and out as it heals since then. She is getting more mobile - but she does have to be in a brace for at least 6 weeks (4 more weeks) so as not to put too much weight on it, so I have been taking care of her and everything else around the house.

It's exhausting, but worth it.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

OzEclipse wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:13 am
Star Dad wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:00 pm I (finally) have a few minutes to write. Got some sort of crazy bug. All the joints are very stiff - had a fever last night, but Yukon Jack (a semi-sweet liquor) killed that. Kind of a weird illness - at first I thought I had pulled some muscles, but I couldn't recall doing anything strenuous. Now on my third day of whatever it is and getting better. Yukon Jack is amazing stuff and I highly recommend 2 shots. Let it linger in the mouth and throat - it seems to kill bad things. :)
Sounds similar to whatever I've had except mine has lasted about 6 weeks and mostly affecting joints and muscles in the legs and causing swelling, but only legs not the upper body. No other symptoms of illness though and I didn't feel like I was sick. More like an outbreak of arthritic pain in the joints + muscles. My knee felt like I'd torn a meniscus cartilage. I also wondered if it was Ross River Fever.

Just over the past few days, it's finally seems to be coming good. Yesterday I walked 500m in mild pain and that's the longest I've been able to walk in weeks. Today it was wild rain or I would have walked further. For reference, I usually do a 4-5km brisk walk most days without any trouble at all.

Joe
Did you see a doctor? A question for Star Dad too, who is on liquor and pain killers. This is not normal for anyone younger than 80 and in good health!
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Star Dad wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:00 pm I (finally) have a few minutes to write. Got some sort of crazy bug. All the joints are very stiff - had a fever last night, but Yukon Jack (a semi-sweet liquor) killed that. Kind of a weird illness - at first I thought I had pulled some muscles, but I couldn't recall doing anything strenuous.
I had something similar a few weeks ago - ran a bit of a fever (wouldn't qualify as an official fever, but my temp is usually low and my temp was rather elevated for me), knees were killing me, and then the... ummmm... sprints to the bathroom started. Took about 3 days to get over it.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

SkyHiker wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:40 pm
OzEclipse wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:13 am

Joe
Did you see a doctor? A question for Star Dad too, who is on liquor and pain killers. This is not normal for anyone younger than 80 and in good health!
Hi Henk,
The fact that it was in the legs suggested in was muscular skeletal rather than viral. I went for some physio treatment on Tuesday(the day after writing the post) and things are easing up and it now feels more definitely physical than viral. Physio found issues in the hip illiac muscles on both sides which may have pinched the sciatic nerves & referred pain down the legs causing the other problems. This was a much worse outbreak of a problem I have had for 20 years as a result of an old injury. Normally it doesn't cause such widespread and intense symptoms and passes in a couple of days with rest and mobilisation exercises. This time it was much worse and occurred while I was travelling.

I didn't need resort to liquor and pain killers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Joe
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I'm over whatever it was. No pain, just like normal. Very strange. Wifey apparently had it but to a milder degree before I got it. Her symptoms lasted 3 days - mine 5 days. Reminds one of how fragile the human body really is.

OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

My astronomy club, the Astronomical Association of Queensland held its annual astrophotography competition today. All these images have been posted in the TSS astrophotography images section before.

There were 63 entries in the comp. It’s judged by blind online voting by the membership. I entered five images in different sections of the competition. Two of my nightscape images tied with each other for first place in the nightscape section. One of my comet Leonard images got first place in the solar system objects section and my other Comet picture came second in that section. One of my pictures came second in the deep sky section.

Equal first place Nightscape Section
On-a-Dark-Deserted-Highway.
Joe-Cali_On-a-Dark-Deserted-Highway-Cool-Wind-in-my-Hair.jpg

Equal first place Nightscape Section
Janet-the-Nightscaper.
Joe-Cali_Janet-the-Nightscaper.jpg

First place Solar System Section
Comet-Leonard-28-Dec.
Joe-Cali__Comet-Leonard-28-Dec.jpg

Second place Solar System Section
Comet-Leonard-31-Dec.
Joe-Cali_Comet-Leonard-31-Dec.jpg

Second place Deep Sky Section
Rho-Ophiuchi.
Joe-Cali__rho-ophiuchi.jpg
Last edited by OzEclipse on Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Congratulations Joe, those are superb images.

You must be very proud of them.

Thank you for sharing them with us.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

A new TSS quiz has been released.

viewtopic.php?t=26776

Enjoy!

Joe Cali

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Sold my 90mm Mak. I wasn't really using it and I'm sort of leaning toward a 70mm ED frac. :grin:
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

KingNothing13 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:10 pm My wife had a sliding patella for 30+ years thanks to a torn tendon. She had, what turned out to be a fairly simple surgery 2 weeks ago to repair it, but she has been down and out as it heals since then. She is getting more mobile - but she does have to be in a brace for at least 6 weeks (4 more weeks) so as not to put too much weight on it, so I have been taking care of her and everything else around the house.

It's exhausting, but worth it.
Speedy recovery. Good that such a long standing problem was able to be dealt with.
My wife had a disc rupture a few years back and spent a few months bed/wheelchair bound. I went from half time chief cook and bottle washer to full time but that was OK. A bonus was she coudn't escape my telling her bad jokes so there was that :).
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

A quick status update.
Got imflammation, and had to get back to hospital.
The inflammation is getting cured well, and the cancer treatment continues as soos as the inflammation is cure and the patient is in good enugh shape.
I haven't had enough strengh to report earlier.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.