What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: What have you been up to lately?

Post by Ylem »

Well, you know you're an astronomer when...

Wifey and I went to an outdoor concert and tells me to put two folding canvas chairs in the car.

At the event I pull the first chair from its duffel bag, then I pull a Parrogon tripod from the other lol

Guess who spent the evening sitting on the grass?
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

GCoyote wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:28 pm Saw one of my 'Ologists today. I am now 30 months cancer free.
:dance:
That's great news!
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Popped out for a look at triple star Beta Mon this morning with my 72ED. Back to the office 3 days a week starting today as they have pronounced me clear of COVID. I'm still dragging, but getting a little more energy day by day.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Sorry I haven't been active lately. The night of the 3rd of Sept was my last good night. But it sucked anyway. Let me explain. It had been about 6 weeks since my last AP session. And of course I forgot to set the gain on the images. So out of 8 of images I managed to get only 2 because the flats/darks/lights didn't match even closely in gain. Didn't realize it until the last 5 minutes of imaging. ARRRRGH!

Well, the next day serious rumblings started in my mid section and by Saturday evening I was in full diarrhea mode. Flushing every hour all day and all night. Tuesday morning I went to the urgent care facility and was told unless I was bleeding or things didn't improve in 5 days to just suck it up. Trips to the bathroom slowed down to once every 2-3 hours by the next Saturday morning. By 5 AM I gave up and had wifey drive me to the Emergency Room. I was totally dehydrated and exhausted. Fortunately, it was a light morning for the ER until all the drunks started showing up. I was put on IV fluids - how many bags I dunno as I lost count. Doc asks - when was the last time you peed? I had to think hard about that - 36 hours? and then only a dribble. OK, we need a sample of what's coming out to see what's going on. Sunday Morning I am told I have some sort of flagellated bacteria. Was I around a farm? no. Pets- no. friends with pets? no. Well what you got is transmitted from domesticated animals to humans. The only thing I ate that wifey didn't was a store bought turkey wrap. The docs all scowled at that as improbable. I dunno. I've been home a week now and am slowly recovering. I lost 16 pounds in 5 days and have regained 6 of those. I'm hoping to keep it there. So forgive me if I haven't been active. Lesson learned - if I ever get this again I am not waiting 5 days. My kidneys (usually at toxic level <1) were at 10... and were in the process of shutting down. No fluids were going through them. I got really lucky in hindsight, but I should not have listened to the urgent care advice. Take this advice as a warning in case you get this - COVID ain't the only killer lurking.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hopefully you are back to normal very soon!
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

It sounds like you are on the 'mend'. Take care of yourself!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Celebrated my wife's birthday all weekend starting Friday with relatives and friends! On Friday we drove to the Tucson Catalina Mountain foothills to Vivace Italian restaurant and had a wonderful dinner on the patio with our two best friends.

On Saturday we drove to Scottsdale, AZ and celebrated with family, and on Sunday we drove to Mesa, AZ and celebrated again with family. My wife's older brother flew in from California and his daughter flew in from Alaska. We were pleasantly surprised to say the least! Our niece brought some fresh Alaskan Halibut that she caught herself and the meal was fantastic!

I tried to observe the comet in the western sky after sunset, but got clouded out again!
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Star Dad wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:26 pm Sorry I haven't been active lately. ... Take this advice as a warning in case you get this - COVID ain't the only killer lurking.
Wow. When in doubt, get a second opinion.

Glad you are feeling better!
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Pakarinen,
Good to hear you're doing better after Covid!
Take care.
Bruce

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Star Dad,
I'm thankful you caught it in time and didn't just try to weather through it! Take care.
Bruce

Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Quicky update - I saw my usual doc this morning. I'm now patient #4 in the area that has had this bug. So far, no correlation has been found - but something exceedingly strange is going on as this is highly unusual. Got to go get some blood work done to verify all has progressed well... I certainly feel well. Tonight I am planning an all nighter with NGC6992 and 896 being my two targets. AND it's a new moon. How rare it is to have a clear night and a new moon. Woo Hoo! Now if I can only remember all the settings and take my darks/flats, etc.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Good Luck!
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

The rheumatoid arthritis in my wrists is almost gone now. It makes everything so much easier. I don't know if the diet change that my doctor advised in June has anything to do with it, but it's the only treatment I had. Since that appointment I lost 25 lbs as of 3 weeks ago, and more since then. I am currently eating next to nothing in the daytime, that may help too, and I hike up a mountain every 3 or 2 days.

The anti inflammatory diet is interesting to figure out. Basically, eat whole foods, dump all the processed stuff. No alcohol, sugar, white flour based foods, chocolate chips, etecetera. Eat lots of veggies and fruit. If you want something sweet, eat a date instead of chocolate. When I must eat a snack, I try raw saurkraut, kim chi, walnuts or smoked mackerel (omega 3s). It's quite doable.

If you hike a mountain at the end of a day of not eating, you are burning fat. I need that to climb Mt Whitney with my son in October. Weighing 35 lbs less (about 5 lbs to go) makes a big difference for a 6500 ft elevation day hike. I am pretty stoked about the improvement of my RA and the weight loss.

Other than that I've been dealing with an undisclosed typical old man ailment. At one point I ended up in the ER but it turned out to be nothing major. It will get fixed next month. Did I mention I needed a dental implant? The crown will be put in in November. If it's not one thing, it's another, comes with age!

Today I added a tensioner to my Newt using metal strings and turnbuckles to stiffen the tube but it did not make a difference. When I move the scope around, the laser dot still moves around the donut. It must be something else, I'll get go the bottom of it.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

SkyHiker wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:09 am The rheumatoid arthritis in my wrists is almost gone now. It makes everything so much easier. I don't know if the diet change that my doctor advised in June has anything to do with it, but it's the only treatment I had. Since that appointment I lost 25 lbs as of 3 weeks ago, and more since then. I am currently eating next to nothing in the daytime, that may help too, and I hike up a mountain every 3 or 2 days.

Well done Henk.

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Broken clouds this morning, but I took out my 72ED for some double star observing in Orion through sucker holes. Got about an hour and a half in before twilight, so I'm pleased.

And now I get to clean the grates on the gas grill. Went without a grill all summer and I didn't realize how much I missed cooking on one until I bought a new small one recently. Kabobs, baby! And I'm going to hit up the local meat market for a mess of Italian sausage soon. :dance:
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Waiting out a tropical depression just like the rest of the US East Coast. No clear nights forecast for the next ten days so I'm spending Saturday cleaning things indoors that I've been putting off for "a rainy day".
(That did not go as planned.)
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

First, glad to hear StarDad and Henk are feeling better.

I am also riding out that Mid-Atlantic tropical depression here, it caused some minor roof damage and water is dripping through the ceiling, mostly in the laundry room and attached garage.

It's always something, but it certainly could be worse :)
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

I'm in Atlanta, Georgia participating in a sports car event with my brother...NSXPO 2023. Had a refreshing drive through the mountains North of Atlanta yesterday. Lots of fun!

Dave
20230929_092204.jpg
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

In a wedding today in California. I have to serve as toastmaster at the beginning the reception. My nephew (formerly of Tesla in Austin) has moved back to the Bay Area and is close to nailing down a position at a space start up.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

10 days of clouds and rain finally gone from that Mid-Atlantic storm, getting estimates for a new roof.

But it left us with gorgeous weather now :) maybe some Ha solar today :)
Clear Skies,

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters