Something I have noticed after COVID-19

Reserved for discussion of the COVID-19 Virus. (PLEASE READ THE STICKIE)
Forum rules
With the current situation and discussions taking place on TSS in regards to COVID-19, the team has made a decision to create a new sub forum dedicated to the subject. While this is still an ‘open’ forum we will be monitoring it heavily in an attempt to make sure that the discussions remain civil.

It is our recommendation that everyone use the resources that are specifically provided for information. These include your countries government websites along with your official local agency websites.

With the amount of questionable information being posted on many websites, we as a dedicated Astronomy forum do not want to become one of those.

Thanks to everyone for your assistance.
UlteriorModem
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Something I have noticed after COVID-19

Post by UlteriorModem »

It is a lot quieter out!

Less trucks, less aircraft, less cars.

Just an observation :)
Tom

Current Equipment:
Scope: 130mm APO triplet atop a CGX-L mount
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Ylem
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ylem »

Around here most everything is still open and most folks including myself are still commuting to work.

Restaurants and department stores that don't sell food are closed, along with the schools.

It's odd how it varies by state.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

A bunch of SCTs and MCTs scattered around the house and an Orion ST80.
A big box of Plossls :D
bobharmony
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

My wife and I have been walking around the neighborhood the past couple of days to keep from going stir crazy. It is amazing how much of birdsong we can hear, and how the absence of traffic noise lets it come through. A silver lining for this cloud!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Arsene37
Mars Ambassador

Post by Arsene37 »

Hi !
A lot of stars in one month ! Pollution is decreasing …
Arsène
Petzval quadruplet 152/760 on iOptron CEM25P — XX12 Orion Skyquest — 5.5" Celestron Comet Catcher (40 years old) — Perl-Vixen 130 mm/720 mm EQ — 8 mmm, 17mm and 31 mm aspheric Hyperion — BST Explorer ED 5 mm — Baader MPCC II — Leica EP 20x-60x — 2x Barlow — TS Optics Binoculars 20x80 Triplet.
Buckethead 2.0
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

The streets are quiet here, both day and night - and I live on a busy street. I'm used to lots of people around, so this is a bit unnerving to me. The local college had students go home, only 100 remain on campus because they couldn't go home for various reasons.

I will just be glad when the world gets back to normal crazy, instead of this brand of cray cray!
~Eric
Ozypic
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Ozypic »

Will we get back to normal, I rekon those pesky cockroaches are rubbing their hands together at the thought of finally being able to get to the top of the ladder..
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
pakarinen
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

While car traffic is way down, I'm seeing people out walking. This is bizarre b/c in my suburb NOBODY walks anywhere; the only people you see are runners and dogwalkers and very few cyclists.

Also In a lot of the subdivisions here, people have large, elaborate decks in their backyards that rarely get used. Maybe that will change once the craptastic weather breaks.
Olen Suomalainen!

Orion ST120, Meade AdventureScope ST80, Skywatcher 90mm Mak
Twilight 1 / Astro Devices encoders / Nexus II / Manfrotto 475B tripod
Nikon Aculon 10x50 binos
bobharmony
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

As my wife and I were taking our walk around the neighborhood yesterday, we discussed the last time the area was this quiet was in the days following the 9/11 attacks. With all the planes grounded for a week and the general shock of the events, a lot of people just stayed inside. It was different as there was no enforced isolation, but a lot of folks around here withdrew in the immediate aftermath.

I remember seeing the first plane in the sky a week later and being somewhat saddened that our quiet time was ending. I guess we astronomy people are isolationists by nature :)

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Alvarez »

my morning commute has definitely gotten a lot less crowded.
Telescopes: 10" SkyLine Dobsonian, 6" Apertura F5 Newt, Celestron Nextar GT90, Meade Infinity 80
EP: 5.5mm, 8.8mm, 14mm, 20mm, 24mm Meade 5000 UWA's, 26mm, 32mm, 40mm Meade 4000 Plossls, Orion Expanse, 30mm, 20mm, 15mm GSO Superview, Various others.
Binocs: 15x70 Celestron Skymaster, 10x50 Levenhuk Karma Pro, 10x42 Bushnell, 8x42 Sans & Streiffe
Mounts: Meade LX70 with dual axis motors, Celestron GT, More miscellaneous tripods than a Martian invasion.

"The heavens themselves, the planets, and this center observe degree, priority, and place,
Insisture, course, proportion, season, form, office, and custom, in all line of order.”
Lady Fraktor
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Don Alvarez wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:34 pm
Right now anything besides the occasional lorry or highway patrol the roads are almost empty.
🇸🇰
Proper Telescopes: Antares 105 f/15, Celestron 150 f/8, Stellarvue NHNGDX 80 f/6.9, TAL 100RS f/10, TS 102 f/11, UR 70 f/10, Vixen ED115s f/7.7
Mounts: Celestron AS-GT, Celestron CG-5 w/ Argo Navis & tracking motor, SLT w/ pier & tripod mods, Manfrotto 028b w/ SV M2C, Mantrotto 055Pro w/ 128RC, TAL MT1C, Vixen SXP w/ HAL-130 & half pier
Diagonal: 2" A-P Maxbright, 2" Baader Herschel Wedge (P), 2" Zeiss/ Baader Amici Prism (DX2), 2" Orion Amici Prism, 2" Stellarvue DX, 2" TeleVue EverBrite
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
Buckethead 2.0
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Everybody must be using up their toilet paper.
~Eric
SkyHiker
Pluto Ambassador

Post by SkyHiker »

Quieter roads but you should see the hiking trails! Ten times busier than usual. I stepped 6 feet aside to let others pass but nobody else did so mostly everyone was within 1 foot of each other when passing.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: 6" Mak-Newt (Comet Hunter), ES ED127CF, ES ED80, Zhumell Z12, Coulter Odyssey 10, AT6RC, Venture RX-7, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S, AVX, LXD55, Tiltall, Cameras: Fuji X-a1, Canon SX40, Xt, XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: Dob and camera barndoor trackers, afocal adapter, Dob with foldable base and Az/Alt setting circles, Accessories: SSAG, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: DSS, ImageMagick, PHD, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK
pakarinen
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

Buckethead 2.0 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:52 pm
3 squares per day per person. Gubmint order. :D

Seriously, eating meals at home has made me realize how sh*tty fast food really is.
Olen Suomalainen!

Orion ST120, Meade AdventureScope ST80, Skywatcher 90mm Mak
Twilight 1 / Astro Devices encoders / Nexus II / Manfrotto 475B tripod
Nikon Aculon 10x50 binos
GCoyote
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Don Alvarez wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:34 pm
I've had to adjust my meal planning times. My wife is getting home 20-30 minutes earlier and noticeably less homicidal. I could get used to this! ;)
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Kingofthehill
Mars Ambassador

Post by Kingofthehill »

Has anyone noticed the skies any darker around major metropolitan areas? We've had nothing but rain and snow for the last couple weeks so I cannot tell.
Paul
Main telescope used is Obsession 18UC
Cut my teeth on Orion 10" Dob
AR152 and Orion ST80 sit mostly unused
Lots of binoculars
yobbo89
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

I haven't heard a single plane in the sky for some time now, I live near the airport landing/take off approach route
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"trust tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/ (upcoming : mesu 200 v2)
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, Thousand Oaks Solar Filter.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel
UlteriorModem
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Yea that's the first thing I noticed. A small private aircraft flew over and it caught my attention. I thought, Hrm I don't hear a lot of aircraft. It's actually what started me down realizing how much more quiet it was.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Buckethead 2.0
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

pakarinen wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:43 pm
Buckethead 2.0 wrote:

Seriously, eating meals at home has made me realize how sh*tty fast food really is.
I stopped getting fast food roughly 6 months ago, now it's on a much rarer occasion. Two reasons for this - to lose weight (went down to 249 lbs from 285 lbs), and to learn to get better at cooking. I use my slow cooker a lot.

And I also make things on the electric stove, as well as baking a few things. Not much baking though. I'm drinking more water and lots of Gatorade. So far, so good.

And yes, it all tastes better. But I will cheat on occasion and hit a KFC or something. No Chick-Fil-A's within 100 miles from here, seriously. :lol:
~Eric
GCoyote
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Buckethead 2.0 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:08 pm
pakarinen wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:43 pm
Buckethead 2.0 wrote:

I stopped getting fast food roughly 6 months ago, now it's on a much rarer occasion. Two reasons for this - to lose weight (went down to 249 lbs from 285 lbs), and to learn to get better at cooking. I use my slow cooker a lot.

And I also make things on the electric stove, as well as baking a few things. Not much baking though. I'm drinking more water and lots of Gatorade. So far, so good.

And yes, it all tastes better. But I will cheat on occasion and hit a KFC or something. No Chick-Fil-A's within 100 miles from here, seriously. :lol:
Get one of those multi-function cookers like the Ninja. Possibly the most versatile kitchen appliance I've ever used. That and an air fryer and you almost don't need a standard stove.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
UlteriorModem
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Bah.... get a BBQ grill! :D
Tom

Current Equipment:

Return to “COVID-19”