How Long Will The Coronavirus Shutdown Last?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects.
Refractordude
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

How Long Will The Coronavirus Shutdown Last?

Post by Refractordude »

Telescopes: Meade LX70 120mm f/8 Refractor, Vixen 70mm f/12.9 Refractor, Tasco 49N 50mm Red Refractor
Binoculars: Zhumell 20x80 Giant, Levenhuk Sherman 7x50
Mounts: Orion SkyView Pro Equatorial, Orion Versago II Altazimuth, Farpoint Universal Parrallogram Mount
Finders: GSO 8x50 Raci, Svbony Red Dot
Diagonals: GSO Dielectric 2", GSO Dielectric 1.25"
Eyepieces: GSO Plossls 32mm/25mm/20mm, GSO 20mm Superview, Svbony 20mm/15mm/9mm/6mm, Svbony Aspheric 23mm/10mm/4mm, Agena Super Wide Angle 15mm, Few No Name Brand Ebay Plossls
SkyHiker
Pluto Ambassador

Post by SkyHiker »

Once America understands who gets to foot the bill for keeping the elderly alive instead of the economy, opinions on shutdown may change.

BTW Your link seems to require a subscription - and I will not foot the bill! lol.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: 6" Mak-Newt (Comet Hunter), ES ED127CF, ES ED80, Zhumell Z12, Coulter Odyssey 10, AT6RC, Venture RX-7, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S, AVX, LXD55, Tiltall, Cameras: Fuji X-a1, Canon SX40, Xt, XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: Dob and camera barndoor trackers, afocal adapter, Dob with foldable base and Az/Alt setting circles, Accessories: SSAG, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: DSS, ImageMagick, PHD, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK
helicon
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I was able to read it - the paywall thing didn't pop up. Thanks for sharing the article. It provides a bit of good news by suggesting that the sheltering phase may be over by the end of April or early May.
-Michael
Various scopes, 10" Zhumell Dob, ES AR152, AWB 5.1" Onesky newt, Oberwerk 25x100 binos, two eyeballs
Refractordude
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Refractordude »

Curious of what preparations forum members have made. I have can goods to last about three months. I need to get some more water and sardines. However, every time I go to the market their all out. I was at the Save-A-Lot this morning, and was told I could only purchase three items. That is called rationing which is kinda scary.
Telescopes: Meade LX70 120mm f/8 Refractor, Vixen 70mm f/12.9 Refractor, Tasco 49N 50mm Red Refractor
Mounts: Orion SkyView Pro Equatorial, Orion Versago II Altazimuth, Farpoint Universal Parrallogram Mount
Eyepieces: GSO Plossls 32mm/25mm/20mm, GSO 20mm Superview, Svbony 20mm/15mm/9mm/6mm, Svbony Aspheric 23mm/10mm/4mm, Agena Super Wide Angle 15mm, Few No Name Brand Ebay Plossls
SkyHiker
Pluto Ambassador

Post by SkyHiker »

Refractordude wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:20 pm
Curious of what preparations forum members have made. I have can goods to last about three months. I need to get some more water and sardines. However, every time I go to the market their all out. I was at the Save-A-Lot this morning, and was told I could only purchase three items. That is called rationing which is kinda scary.
The whole thing is just about as bad as 10 flu seasons all at once. Bad but not more than that. We can't save everyone, nor should we have to. The panic that is setting in now makes it look like the cure is worse than the disease. Let's take care of not infecting the elderly and keep America going. That way we won't have shortages.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: 6" Mak-Newt (Comet Hunter), ES ED127CF, ES ED80, Zhumell Z12, Coulter Odyssey 10, AT6RC, Venture RX-7, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S, AVX, LXD55, Tiltall, Cameras: Fuji X-a1, Canon SX40, Xt, XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: Dob and camera barndoor trackers, afocal adapter, Dob with foldable base and Az/Alt setting circles, Accessories: SSAG, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: DSS, ImageMagick, PHD, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK
yobbo89
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

I feel ya guys/girls, our Country says it is not going to have a shut down, and that we should not be silly with bulk buying, but looking at other countries and looking at the infection rate makes me want to question twice. I'm totally ignoring what any politician has to say, expect the worst but don't go overboard, 3-6 weeks is an reasonable time frame to bulk goods for.
Last edited by yobbo89 on Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"trust tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/ (upcoming : mesu 200 v2)
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, Thousand Oaks Solar Filter.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

SkyHiker wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:00 pm
Once America understands who gets to foot the bill for keeping the elderly alive instead of the economy, opinions on shutdown may change.

BTW Your link seems to require a subscription - and I will not foot the bill! lol.
Yep! Put them in camps! Do the soylent green thing! Protein for everyone! :lol: :x :roll:
Scopes: Refractors: Orion ST80, SV ED80 A f7; Newtonians: Z12 f5; Catadioptrics: VMC110L, Intes MK66. EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Refractordude wrote:
I have increased my supplies from 1 week to 2 weeks. One of the few things that the US does well is manage the supply chain. Panic is unjustified and depletion of the stocks (of toilet paper of all things) is simply absurd. If people insist on acting like silly ninnies then there will have to be rationing. Panic and fright can only be controlled by rationing.

So my plan is, rather than buy multiple months all at once, I'm slowly and incrementally increasing my backup supplies. Folks greed and fear will make this worse than it is and I refuse to contribute to that.

If everyone did that there would be no shortages and no need for rationing.
Scopes: Refractors: Orion ST80, SV ED80 A f7; Newtonians: Z12 f5; Catadioptrics: VMC110L, Intes MK66. EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
Refractordude
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Refractordude »

I also have 112 ounces of raw unsalted walnuts. Right click the image.
Attachments
image 1.PNG
helicon
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I am buying 4-5 days of food when I go to the store. Also, I have a two-week supply of canned foods as a back-up. After being out of vegetables entirely on Friday, yesterday it was well-stocked. Actually the supermarkets are hiring right now. Economic contraction is one of the real concerns now. As folks are furloughed and laid off (perhaps 25-35% of workers) one wonders how many will be recalled at the end of this thing. Probably there will be permanent adjustments in the workplace - e.g., more folks working at home than ever before. Cash stimuli will help in the near term but trillions cannot be spent without threatening the country with a massive deficit, which could cause long term pain and damage to the economy.
-Michael
Various scopes, 10" Zhumell Dob, ES AR152, AWB 5.1" Onesky newt, Oberwerk 25x100 binos, two eyeballs
Refractordude
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Refractordude »

notFritzArgelander wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:02 pm
Refractordude wrote:
I have increased my supplies from 1 week to 2 weeks. One of the few things that the US does well is manage the supply chain. Panic is unjustified and depletion of the stocks (of toilet paper of all things) is simply absurd. If people insist on acting like silly ninnies then there will have to be rationing. Panic and fright can only be controlled by rationing.

So my plan is, rather than buy multiple months all at once, I'm slowly and incrementally increasing my backup supplies. Folks greed and fear will make this worse than it is and I refuse to contribute to that.

The problem is everyone is not going to do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM65xPJKvXg
SkyHiker
Pluto Ambassador

Post by SkyHiker »

The advantage of buying in bulk is fewer people in the stores so fewer infections.
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Unsalted nuts are a great idea.

I forgot that I have deep backup or brown rice and dried beans. It's something I always have JIC.

I'm finding that fresh produce is in plentiful supply so I can limit my shopping to once a week and still make salads for myself. It's another indicator that the shortages are caused by folks panicking and overreacting.

I think I mentioned that the last time I was shopping the nice 20 something checker mentioned that it was the young folks who were doing the panic thing. Older folks were more calm about it all.

So this morning I had 4 oz of Nova Lox a half cup of fresh blackberries and yogurt with oatmeal along with my loose green tea.
Last edited by notFritzArgelander on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SonnyE
Moon Ambassador

Post by SonnyE »

The article opened for me.
Didn't read it, don't care.
But... it opened.

We figure we are OK. And I have MRE's if things get really ridiculous. Which I expect they will.
When they are saying there is no problem with the supply chain, and showing distribution centers slowly loading semi trailers, you can bet there are problems.
Empty shelves are a problem.
Last edited by SonnyE on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SonnyE
Sleepy Dog Observatory
Saugus, California, USA

"I'm just lookin for another victim to suck the light out of..."
Lotsa stuff. But not too much stuff.
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Refractordude wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:21 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:02 pm
Refractordude wrote:

The problem is everyone is not going to do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM65xPJKvXg
Not my problem, not my responsibility. As a guiding principle I like Kant's Categorical Imperative.

"Act only according to that maxim whereby you can, at the same time, will that it should become a universal law."

So panic buying cannot be wished into a universe law, therefore I will not yield to it.

I do confess to having a 2 months supply of toilet paper. For me this consists of a nearly full roll on the dispenser and 1 roll in the pantry. :lol: So I really, really cannot sympathize with the TP insanity.
AntennaGuy
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by AntennaGuy »

We've actually discussed other scenarios in the past, on this forum, regarding preparing for the worst. Maybe that seems less funny (but frankly, only a little) now. E.g., viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4800
Preparation is best done in advance of a crisis, needless to say. However, we are still actually in very good shape. Right now, you can still buy lots of stuff, just not some of your preferred stuff. But people in less fortunate societies are very much accustomed to not having endless varieties available, and they more-or-less get by (and would be jealous of what we have right now). Hand soap and water is a perfectly fine alternative to disinfectant lotion! One ordinary bar of soap goes a long way. Foods in the stores are packaged variously as fresh, canned, frozen, dried, etc. If your preferred form of a food is simply not available, consider purchasing one of the other forms. You might have to cook it longer or in a more complex manner. Follow your cookbooks (you do have multiple cookbooks, right?). The internet is also a giant cookbook. Also, consider eating different foods than you normally do. Even people on highly-restricted diets can generally eat at least a moderate variety of foods. If you do not have a highly-restricted diet, then neither starvation nor malnutrition would seem to be a realistic concern. If the absolute worst is to come (and it won't), buy for calorie content and basic vitamin/mineral needs. (In the story "The Martian," our hero lives on nothing but potatoes, water, and vitamin/mineral supplements for months!) Shop around, buy what you need, and buy those items (if you need them) that can be substituted for items that are not available. The convenient/popular stuff is what is selling out right now. Buy the less convenient and less popular items (that can still meet your objectives) and you'll find plenty of what you need! Relax and have some perspective; we still live in a place and time of unprecedented abundance that even our recent ancestors could only dream of.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
pakarinen
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

We have 2-3 weeks of stuff, but we're not on lockdown yet. My son-in-law is a VP for a logistics company and they're not slowing down; the supply chain is intact. Also, I noticed yesterday that stack trains are still running with upwards of 200 containers per train. Those containers could be empty, but I'm guessing not all are.

I think we're going to see a cultural / economic shift. Remote work will become much more the norm, online / at-home school and async college courses might as well. I mean, really, is it necessary to pack 300 kids into a giant lecture hall? Or have a 20-something teacher try to ride herd on 30 kids? For what?

I'm seeing small businesses that rely on face-to-face interaction here taking a big hit. I suspect many of those will fold if this distancing stays in force for anything more than a short time. No customers => no revenue => no payroll => no staff.

My parents lived through the Depression and World War II. Willensstärke!

(BTW, I found Spam with bacon! Hard to beat that!)
Olen Suomalainen!

Orion ST120, Meade AdventureScope ST80, Skywatcher 90mm Mak
Twilight 1 / Astro Devices encoders / Nexus II / Manfrotto 475B tripod
Nikon Aculon 10x50 binos
stewe
Moon Ambassador

Post by stewe »

Refractordude wrote:
There are shortages only because people pile up goods unnecessarily. In Germany, the supermarkets were stripped of canned food, bread, toilet paper, soap, and alike because a relatively few panicking people bought irrational quantities. A few days later --surprise-- things are back to normal in the supermarket. Now those people who "hamster bought" canned food should eat all the canned food before they buy food again!!
Clear skies!
Steve
----------
telescope: Celestron C9.25
mount: Celestron AVX
binoculars: Lacerta 8x42 ED
pakarinen
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

Yes! Hamsterkauf! I read about that.
Olen Suomalainen!

Orion ST120, Meade AdventureScope ST80, Skywatcher 90mm Mak
Twilight 1 / Astro Devices encoders / Nexus II / Manfrotto 475B tripod
Nikon Aculon 10x50 binos
j.gardavsky
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by j.gardavsky »

The only Hamsterkauf, have been the eyepieces.

I have also purchased on the eBay a pair of opera glasses, even if the opera theaters have been closed because of Corona.

Best,
JG

Return to “Off-Topic”