Things your pet has done that amazed you?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects.
UlteriorModem
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Things your pet has done that amazed you?

Post by UlteriorModem » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:28 pm

My Cat "Flounder" amazes me at times. He can be so smart in some ways and not so sharp in others.

But the other day I saw something that really took me aback. It's not really a big deal but I found it interesting.

I came walking up to the deck, there was a small plane puttering by overhead, and Flounder was sitting there staring up at it watching it go by!!! Not the first time I have witnessed him watching a plane or helicopter fly over. Never seen any animal do this!

The other evening I gave Flounder a little dry food after his "Dinner". He likes his dessert :D Anyhow his "Dinner" was some canned food on a paper plate which he had finished. The empty paper plate was sort of in front of the bowl with the dry food in it. Flounder reached out with a paw and flicked the plate out of the way like "Get this out of my way!"

There are tons of other anecdotes but for now these two stand out.
Current Equipment:
Scope: 10 inch Ritchey Chrieten atop a CGX-L mount
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
helicon
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:09 pm

That's funny. Unfortunately my cat has gone missing as of about 6 months ago. I had spent a lot of money on vets and the veterinary hospital for his breathing problem, which was corrected and he became healthy again. However, one early morning he failed to come in. Usually he went outside at 4am and came in around 6, jumping through my open window and onto my bed. I posted flyers all around the neighborhood - got a few phone calls from people walking their dogs who claimed to have seen a cat that looked like him but none of them panned out. Either he ran away or more likely one of the wild critters around here got him. I'm looking for a replacement kitty now. He did a lot of funny things in the time I had him, so I know what you mean.
-Michael
Various scopes, 10" Zhumell Dob, ES AR152, AWB 5.1" Onesky newt, Oberwerk 25x100 binos, two eyeballs
Ylem
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ylem » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:19 pm

My great dane would count her morning biscuits!
I always gave her 5, one morning she just sat there and looked at me. There was only four there! So I gave her another, low and behold she started eating.
So at times I would just give her 4 to see if this behaviour continued. Yep, she would not eat until there was 5 in front of her!
A bunch of SCTs and MCTs scattered around the house and an Orion ST80.
A big box of Plossls :D

Clear Skies,
Jeff :mrgreen:
frazier
Moon Ambassador

Post by frazier » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:12 pm

So many things over the years...

The one that comes to mind right now: at one point in our history we had several cats, and a dog (Guinness). For the most part the dog regarded the cats as non-entities, which suited the cats just fine. But two of the cats had a habit, a few times a week, of getting into knock-down drag-out fights, full of snarling, yowling, screaming, and full-force quantum entanglement. Whenever Guinness heard this, he would come running, lower his head, and barrel into the cats, sending them flying. Before long, the cats had learned to conduct their hostilities in complete silence, which was the funniest thing to observe.

Cheers,
Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Shabadoo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:57 pm

When she's not sleeping she has a job. Specialized training.
A couple nights ago I left her in the house while I took the rolling trash cans down our ski slope of a driveway. I slipped and fell on the ice, flat on my back. I was stunned, I couldn't get up. I moved and was sliding, I'd go to stand and my feet would slip on that ice again. (could have been like an old comedy sketch).
The dog was in the window flipping out, barking like mad and looking like she's about to go right through the tall windows. She couldn't come to my aid. She knocked my 9 yr old over in the hallway, and jumped in my wife's lap (a Lab) on the couch and was barking loud as could be and ran back to that window and wouldn't stop.
Afterwords, the dog and I had to have a private talk. "I should have took you with me. Don't be so viscious. I love you too. Here's belly rubs and biscuits."
"good dog"

After thought, barking and getting attention, that's one of the trained jobs.
Jeff
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
bladekeeper
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:21 am

We do not have door knobs on our internal doors. We have handles. Same function, just a different style. Anyway, my cat Vincent is always up for a quiet nap. Whenever he gets the notion, he'll wander into the master bath, jump up and pull down the door handle on my wife's closet door and crawl to the back in a dark corner for his napping. He doesn't do this in my closet, only my wife's. :lol:
helicon wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:09 pm
I had him, so I know what you mean.
Dang, sorry to hear this Michael. I was just wondering about your cat a couple of days ago as you haven't mention him in a while. :(
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Lady Fraktor
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:44 am

I do not know if I would consider Mars amazing ;)
A bit of a practical joker like me, the best one was a nice warm summer day with half a dozen women sitting around talking and drinking wine
Mars brought a live squirrel inside and dropped it in the middle of the room. About 2 hours of chaos resulted, he just sat on his perch and watched...
Right now he is curled up on my lap having me feed him breakfast by hand. :)
Proper Telescopes: Antares 105 f/15, Celestron 150 f/8, Stellarvue NHNGDX 80 f/6.9, TAL 100RS f/10, TS 102 f/11, UR 70 f/10, Vixen ED115s f/7.7
Mounts: Celestron AS-GT, Celestron CG-5 w/ Argo Navis & tracking motor, SLT w/ pier & tripod mods, Manfrotto 028b w/ SV M2C, Mantrotto 055Pro w/ 128RC, TAL MT1C, Vixen SXP w/ HAL-130 & half pier
Diagonal: 2" A-P Maxbright, 2" Baader Herschel Wedge (P), 2" Zeiss/ Baader Amici Prism (DX2), 2" Orion Amici Prism, 2" Stellarvue DX, 2" TeleVue EverBrite
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
🇸🇰Image
bladekeeper
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:52 am

Lady Fraktor wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:44 am
I do not know if I would consider Mars amazing ;)
A bit of a practical joker like me, the best one was a nice warm summer day with half a dozen women sitting around talking and drinking wine
Mars brought a live squirrel inside and dropped it in the middle of the room. About 2 hours of chaos resulted, he just sat on his perch and watched...
Right now he is curled up on my lap having me feed him breakfast by hand. :)
Holy cow. That's what you call a Mississippi Squirrel Revival. :lol:
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

frazier
Moon Ambassador

Post by frazier » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:03 pm

Lady Fraktor wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:44 am
We have a similar story. We once adopted two kittens which were a rescue from a nearby farm. One night we awakened to a commotion coming from the bathroom. Apparently our large tom ("Baby") had gone into the basement and brought up a live mouse. He had released the mouse in the bathtub; then he lounged on the edge of the tub like a Roman emperor and watched while the kittens tried to catch it. We called him "Uncle Baby" after that.

Cheers!

Return to “Off-Topic”