Earth's Mag Field Could Flip

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects.
AntennaGuy
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

Earth's Mag Field Could Flip

Post by AntennaGuy »

So, according to this article, the Earth's magnetic field flipped relatively recently (on a geological time-scale, that is) and it might be headed that way again: https://www.space.com/earth-magnetic-fl ... -years-ago . This is supposed to be bad (but not dinosaur-level bad).

So... I did a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation of how much current (and how much copper, and how much power) we would need to drive a wire loop wrapped around the whole planet, to force the Earth's magnetic field back to ~normal. Dude! You don't want to see those kind of numbers. And... let's just put it this way: we probably won't be ready to do that this century. But in 2 or 3 hundred more years (assuming technology advancements comparable to the last 200-300 years)!, then... maybe! But it might be cheaper to simply retire to our vast underground cities instead.
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
* Losmandy GM8G mount.
* Vixen VMC260L on order.
Ylem
Local Group Ambassador

Re: Earth's Mag Field Could Flip

Post by Ylem »

AntennaGuy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:22 am So, according to this article, the Earth's magnetic field flipped relatively recently (on a geological time-scale, that is) and it might be headed that way again: https://www.space.com/earth-magnetic-fl ... -years-ago . This is supposed to be bad (but not dinosaur-level bad).

So... I did a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation of how much current (and how much copper, and how much power) we would need to drive a wire loop wrapped around the whole planet, to force the Earth's magnetic field back to ~normal. Dude! You don't want to see those kind of numbers. And... let's just put it this way: we probably won't be ready to do that this century. But in 2 or 3 hundred more years (assuming technology advancements comparable to the last 200-300 years)!, then... maybe! But it might be cheaper to simply retire to our vast underground cities instead.
😆
I can see this big 'ole copper loop now 😆

I have enough problems trying to receive longwave signals now 😆
Thanks for the laugh 🤣
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Orion 127 Mak, ST80
Celestron Celestar
8SE, C6, C90 Mak
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters :D
Chich
Jupiter Ambassador

Re: Earth's Mag Field Could Flip

Post by Chich »

Does not look like it would be a good thing for people who enjoy cat videos on their phones. :)

Return to “Off-Topic”