Looking At The Situation In Texas, Should Everyone Be A Prepper?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects.
Refractordude
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

Looking At The Situation In Texas, Should Everyone Be A Prepper?

Post by Refractordude »

I have three months food/can goods supply. Thinking about subzero sleeping bags also. Some say preppers are crazy. I say it is wise to have a little food stored away for an emergency. Why do people have home and medical insurance? Why do people save money? What say you?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... power.html

Telescopes: Celestron 150mm f/8 Refractor, Meade LX70 120mm f/8 Refractor, Vixen 70mm f/12.9 Refractor, Tasco 49N 50mm Red Refractor
Binoculars: Zhumell 20x80 Giant, Oberwerk LW 11x70, Levenhuk Sherman 7x50
Mounts: Orion SkyView Pro Equatorial, Orion Versago II Altazimuth, Farpoint Universal Parrallogram Mount, Orion Tritech II Fluid Head Tripod
Finders: GSO 8x50 Raci, Svbony Red Dot
Diagonals: GSO Dielectric 2", GSO Dielectric 1.25"
Eyepieces: AgenaAstro 8mm-24mm Zoom, Meade 56mm Plossl, GSO Superview 30mm, Astromania-Olivon 22mm, GSO Plossls 32mm/25mm/20mm, GSO 20mm Superview, Svbony 20mm/15mm/9mm/6mm, Svbony Aspheric 23mm/10mm/4mm, Agena Super Wide Angle 15mm, GSO 2" 2x ED Barlow Lens, Few No Name Brand Ebay Plossls
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Looking At The Situation In Texas, Should Everyone Be A Prepper?

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I say that this is a question with political implications. The disaster in Texas is a result of bad decisions by authorities who rejected the "insurance" of being tied into the national power grid because of an ideological distaste for federal regulations. Natural gas lines froze, coal and gas power plants failed, wind turbines seized because of the profit driven decision to not winterize facilities.

Wherever (as in Text) and for as long as the powers that be refuse to act in a fact based and civilized manner being prepared is wise. Unfortunately, that is only a short term solution. Most folks can't afford to lay by months of food and an arsenal. So if you have stockpiles you can expect the desperate to come after you and you will be outnumbered.

The best prepping is to restore civilized values.

PS I keep a deep pantry and a shotgun. But that's no guarantee. I prefer civilization and competency.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
KathyNS
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

I am not a "prepper" in the sense in which the word is typically used.

However, I do believe in being prepared for relatively common natural disasters. We lived for eight years on an island with very expensive ferry service. To save on transportation costs, we saved up our errands, making a long shopping list, and took the ferry into town once every three weeks. So we typically had 2-5 weeks' worth of supplies on hand at any time.

After one memorable eight-day power failure, we bought a generator. We installed a whole-site transfer switch that allowed us to run any device in the house or outbuildings off the generator (though not all at the same time, obviously). Of special note for a rural property, the well pump would run off the generator, so we had running water. We also installed solar hot water, though most power failures happened in winter when there wasn't much sunlight. Our primary heat source was wood, with a stove in the basement that did a good job of heating the whole house.

Droughts were a common feature of the climate in summertime. Since we wanted to grow our own veggies, and the well produced a limited quantity of water, we set up rainwater collection. We could collect enough rainwater in two days of winter rain to water the garden from May to October.

We no longer live on an island, but covid-19 has us back to thinking in the mode of avoiding travel into town as much as possible. If we were to catch covid, we would have to quarantine for two weeks. And of course, we still get snowstorms, ice-storms, and even hurricanes. Impassable roads and power cuts are to be expected. We are ready.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Hall's Harbour Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
John Fitzgerald
Moon Ambassador

Post by John Fitzgerald »

Yes. I can easily go three weeks or more. Enough said.
Bigzmey
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Keeping supply of food, water and essentials at home is common sense. I hope people learn from the experience.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102 ED F7; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD F10, 8" SCT F10, 6" SCT F10, Omni XLT 150R Achro F5, Onyx 80ED F6.3; Meade: 80ST Achro F5.
Mounts: ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: Orion: Little Giant II 15x70, WorldView 10x50, Nikon: Action EX 16x50 & 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68s; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV; Russell Optics: SuperPlossls.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS silver mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: Positive lock prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S; Astronomik: UHC, Orion: UltraBlock, SkyGlow.
Observing: DSOs: 2106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 1635, S110: 77). Doubles: 1441, Comets: 18, Asteroids: 95
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Hmm.... what can be learned from the experience? There are many choices. My top two are...

1. The poor who can no longer afford what "common sense" costs can eat cake when there is no bread and drink wine instead of water.

2. Regulation of utilities to winterize is a good idea.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
Elkhornsun
Earth Ambassador

Post by Elkhornsun »

Texas is a special case as the state is run by people who are the servants of the oil and gas companies and allow them to operate with no regulations. And when the goign gets tough they leave the state and head for Cancun.

When there is no electricity there is no gas/diesel at the filling stations and even with home heating oil or natural gas there still needs to be power for the furnace blower and controls. I have a 16Kw standby generator at my house that runs off natural gas and I choose to live where it does not snow and so I no worries about frozen pipes or a frozen well pump motor. I do keep eight 5-gallon water containers just in case, and a supply of food that would last us for a couple months worst case.

There are frequently articles about best places to live or to retire and they ignore the weather completely or how well public services are maintained by the local governments.
Graeme1858
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Hello Elkhornsun

Welcome to the forum.

Our Off Topic Forum allows non Astronomy conversations including member's experiences of life. However, politics is not allowed. Other than that feel free to join in. Have a look in the Welcome Forum and tell us a little about yourself.

Regards

Graeme
ZWO ASI294MC Pro, Canon 600D, Altair GPCAM2 290C.
Celestron 80mm Guidescope, QHY5-II Mono.
Miranda 10x50 Binoculars.
Ylem
Local Group Ambassador

Post by Ylem »

I think one needs to look at their dwelling and personal situation, one size does not fit all.

We have a wood stove, that's priceless for where we live.

The power grid here in Charlotte, NC is extremely stable, the city is known as the energy capital of the east. In 24 years, we only lost power once that lasted more than 8 hours.
Hence, I have resisted a generator. I could cook on the outside grill or the wood stove.
We have city water, but always keep water on hand.

Food, 😆 my wife is a shopaholic, we could go for a month, not counting my body fat 😂
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Orion 127 Mak, ST80
Celestron Celestar
8SE, C6, C90 Mak
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters :D
Ylem
Local Group Ambassador

Post by Ylem »

Welcome to TSS Elkhornsun, thanks for joining us 🐱

That's nice, a generator that runs off natural gas, I like that.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Orion 127 Mak, ST80
Celestron Celestar
8SE, C6, C90 Mak
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters :D
John Donne
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

I was once a Scout Master.
Part of the BoyScout motto is to "Be prepared".
Always a good idea.😊
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43 DCF SP, Oberwerk 25X100.
EP: LOTS AND MORE...

“Culturally there are different norms that each country and their leaders are expected to follow,”
President Biden
"Oportet quaedam nescire"
Ruhnken's Rule
AstroBee

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

It really is a sad situation what is happening in Texas right now. But at the same time, we can't expect people living in apartments to have wood-burning furnaces or natural gas generators. This is a touchy subject because it is so easy to turn political, which we will not do here, but decisions were made by a few people that are causing these hardships for the many. Folks down there also need to realize that just because they call this a 100-year storm, doesn't mean it's going to be another 100 years before it happens again. Changes need to be made.
Meade 12" GPS SCT, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Explore Scientific 127mm ED, StellarVue SV70T, Explore Scientific 152mm, Edmund Astroscan, CGX Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount, Lunt 80mm Ha single-stack solar scope.
turboscrew
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by turboscrew »

KathyNS wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:33 pm I am not a "prepper" in the sense in which the word is typically used.

However, I do believe in being prepared for relatively common natural disasters. We lived for eight years on an island with very expensive ferry service. To save on transportation costs, we saved up our errands, making a long shopping list, and took the ferry into town once every three weeks. So we typically had 2-5 weeks' worth of supplies on hand at any time.

After one memorable eight-day power failure, we bought a generator. We installed a whole-site transfer switch that allowed us to run any device in the house or outbuildings off the generator (though not all at the same time, obviously). Of special note for a rural property, the well pump would run off the generator, so we had running water. We also installed solar hot water, though most power failures happened in winter when there wasn't much sunlight. Our primary heat source was wood, with a stove in the basement that did a good job of heating the whole house.

Droughts were a common feature of the climate in summertime. Since we wanted to grow our own veggies, and the well produced a limited quantity of water, we set up rainwater collection. We could collect enough rainwater in two days of winter rain to water the garden from May to October.

We no longer live on an island, but covid-19 has us back to thinking in the mode of avoiding travel into town as much as possible. If we were to catch covid, we would have to quarantine for two weeks. And of course, we still get snowstorms, ice-storms, and even hurricanes. Impassable roads and power cuts are to be expected. We are ready.
Yes. Living on an island makes you a prepper - otherwise you don't survive.
I know some people here in Finland that live on an island. There are two periods in a year, that the ice is too thin to walk on, but too thick for a boat to get through. It means about 1 - 2 months of isolation twice a year.
I respect people that live/have lived on island.
Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, dobsonian, all manual.
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

turboscrew
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by turboscrew »

AstroBee wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:01 am It really is a sad situation what is happening in Texas right now. But at the same time, we can't expect people living in apartments to have wood-burning furnaces or natural gas generators. This is a touchy subject because it is so easy to turn political, which we will not do here, but decisions were made by a few people that are causing these hardships for the many. Folks down there also need to realize that just because they call this a 100-year storm, doesn't mean it's going to be another 100 years before it happens again. Changes need to be made.
And BTW, there are furnaces that can burn both oil and wood. My folks used to have one some decades ago.
Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, dobsonian, all manual.
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

pakarinen
Local Group Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

We have food and basic medical supplies, but that was prompted by COVID lockdown. I probably should restock the bottled water.

Only heat back-up is a propane grill outside. I mentioned elsewhere my fireplace has electronic ignition and control, which I could replace with a manual valve. This place is 30 years old, so it’s probably due to be replaced anyway.
Whoomp! There it is.

Orion ST120, Meade ST80, Skywatcher 90mm Mak
Twilight 1 / Astro Devices encoders / Nexus II / Manfrotto 475B / Skywatcher AZ5
Nikon Aculon 10x50 / Orion Giant VIew 15x70 / US Navy 1944 Mark 30 7x50 binos

Charter Member - Zeta Eta Theta Pi Fracternity
OzEclipse
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

We're seeing lots of reports of water pipes frozen.
If people have a liquid fuel stove and some liquid fuel - shellite stoves( AKA Coleman fuel) like MSR Whisperlites work at low temps, they could melt snow for water if they don't have electricity or gas and be used for cooking.

Also hearing reports of people getting CO poisoning because they use the heater in their car inside a closed garage. I'm mean come on.....really??

Warm clothes might be the easy solution. A freezer suit costs about USD 120 and doesn't take up much space. I've spent 6 hrs outside at night at -16C in one observing aurorae and didn't feel cold.

So freezer suit, stove and fuel only takes up a small space, costs <$300 total. I realise that there are some people too poor to even afford this but the vast majority of people could probably afford that.

Joe
"34 South: The Hilltops Observatory"
Central West NSW
AUSTRALIA

Bortle 1-2 skies, 148 E, 34 S

Amateur astronomer since 1978
Astronomical interests : astrophotography, visual observing, nightscape photography, solar eclipse chasing
asteroidal occultations, nightscape astrophotography workshops

web site : http://joe-cali.com/
SCOPES - ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, ED80, M70
MOUNTS- EM-200, iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, Various homemade EQ's
CAMERAS : Pentax K1, K5, K01 / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec
pakarinen
Local Group Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

My oven / range is gas, but we're warned not to use ovens for heat in an emergency. OTOH, I do have 3 battery back-up powered CO detectors, so little likelihood of CO poisoning.

Re: running cars. You could run your car outside for warmth, but the pumps at gas stations are electric, so that won't last for long.
Whoomp! There it is.

Orion ST120, Meade ST80, Skywatcher 90mm Mak
Twilight 1 / Astro Devices encoders / Nexus II / Manfrotto 475B / Skywatcher AZ5
Nikon Aculon 10x50 / Orion Giant VIew 15x70 / US Navy 1944 Mark 30 7x50 binos

Charter Member - Zeta Eta Theta Pi Fracternity
Star Dad
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Star Dad »

I'm with @turboscrew on this. I was a Boy Scout (and I am a Girl Scout now - <chuckle>). I have two freezers and canned goods that could last us a long time. We live near a nuclear power plant - and if things should go awry I can load up the van attach the camper and be gone inside of 30 minutes. We're just outside the 10 mile radius so we would have some time to abandon ship as it were. In 1985 Hurricane Gloria hit this area and I lived (alone) out in the boonies... no power for a week. But even back then I kept enough food and water in stock to comfortably wait for power restoration. Now we live in a "major" city and power outages for more than 1 hour are extremely rare. I think we've lost power maybe twice in the last ten years. Being prepared and having a plan, I think, are essential. This is another thing that schools do not teach children. Kind of like not knowing where the North Star is or how to navigate using it or the Sun. Basics. Oh, don't get me started on this topic. :D
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC
helicon
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

It's a very tough situation. While I am not a prepper, the last three years have encouraged most folks to prepare for firestorms in addition to earthquakes. Therefore, I have around three weeks food, plenty of potable water, various charging devices to keep the phones charged so I can communicate, and a portable propane stove I keep in the garage. After the power being shut off by PG&E to cut fire risk during the autumn months, I purchased a top loading freezer I keep in the garage which will keep stuff cold for two to three days even if the power is off. I also have several bags of ice stored in the freezer so that I can keep the upstairs fridge cold in the event of these occurrences. Last time around there was no ice to be found at convenience stores and supermarkets for many days. Kind of frustrating to be doing this living in California where the weather is supposed to be mild but it is what it is.
-Michael
Various scopes, 10" Zhumell Dob f/4.9, ES AR152 f/6.5, AWB 5.1" Onesky newt, Oberwerk 25x100 binos, two eyeballs. Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Arctic
Mars Ambassador

Post by Arctic »

I do a lot of heating with wood and keep enough split wood in my woodshed to last more than one of our long winters. Propane is expensive. I live on a trout stream so the water is decent, but I would boil it just in case. Can also melt snow during the 5 months we typically have it on the ground.
Food in deep freeze can go outside in winter if we lose power. And I like to hunt and fish...
Gordon
Scopes: Meade LX10 8" SCT, Explore Scientific AR102 Refractor on ES Twilight 1 Mount, Oberwerks 15X70 Binos, Nikon Action Extreme 10X50 Binos.
Eyepieces: ES 68* 24mm, ES 68* 20mm, ES 82* 11mm, ES 82* 8.8mm
Observing: Messier Objects--110/110, H1 Objects-- 400/400. Hundreds of additional NGC Objects. Significant Comets: Kohoutek, West, Halley, Hyakatake, Hale-Bopp, McNair, Neowise. Transits of Mercury and Venus.
2017 Total Solar Eclipse

Return to “Off-Topic”