The Great Photography Thread - REVIVED!

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: The Great Photography Thread - REVIVED!

Post by jrkirkham »

I'm enjoying all these photos. I especially like the bright colors in the day lilies.

Here is the second of the three pictures I submitted to the art show. I'm really not expecting any of them to get selected for the show, but I am having fun playing with them.

I call this "Raven" because it is a raven. That is a very very closeup of a raven. I was at the rim of the Grand Canyon when I took this of one of the ravens that are always flying around looking for scraps dropped by the tourists. It is matted in black and hung in an 11x14 frame. It is just a black and white abstract shot of the bird.[image][/image]
Attachments
Raven low res.jpg
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Northern Ontario :D
MightyMouse.png
All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

A couple from the backyard this weekend. Sunny days and cloudy nights, so I had to take the camera out - didn't want it feeling neglected.

An local snacker
IMG_0809 small.jpg
and the butterfly bushes are starting to bloom
IMG_0815 small.jpg
Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

The three month service for my truck today, so a day off, paid :D

Got to spend some time with my daughter, Sarah, who's 14. She's wanted to "build stuff like you do", so for the past few weeks, I've been teaching her everything from a how to use a measuring tape, figuring angles, and finally running a weld. Man, this kid is adamant! Several pieces of steel later, she's very comfortable with "sewing with fire", but Dad, how about a project? OK Kiddo, you find something you want to make, and we'll make it happen :D

She found something like this on Pinterest. I let her figure the "shape" of it (with a few recommendations), clamped most of the parts down as she doesn't have the strength (yet), and taught her more about weld angles and settings. She made all the welds on this; Dad just watched through his welding helmet. I also let her use my DeWalt drill with a wire brush on the end to clean her welds. After it was made, she ran the drill with the wire brush over the whole thing; cleaned it up nicely. Daddy & Daughter, happy fun times :D

01.jpg
My wife came home, we had dinner, then the cat decided she wanted some attention, too.
One male (me), three females (two human, one feline), so I'm kinda outgunned here... :lol:

02.jpg
03.jpg

It could be worse. I'm actually grateful for it all! Nice beginning and end to a cloudy day. Hopefully you're faring better weather-wise!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Wow! Impressive work by Sarah!

Be careful buddy! You are liable to wake up one morning and find a whole Terminator standing there looking at you! :D
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

The robins in our backyard have been busy as usual. This year they chose one of the lilac bushes to build a nest. Here are a couple of the new arrivals with Mom, there may be a third who is more camera-shy.
IMG_0830 small - Copy.jpg
IMG_0828 small - Copy.jpg
Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Bob, that's a great picture! Hope everything progresses... :D

Was a nice day today, clear blue skies, a few butterflies....
Butterfly01.png
Butterfly02.png

All the best,
Mark

Solar:
3052 Member of the RASC
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

I just spent 9 days exploring high salt lakes and volcanic calderas in the Atacama desert. My hotel was in San Pedro de Atacama at 2400m altitude. I had a rental car and would drive up to volcanic terrain 4000-5000m altitude each day.

In addition to the images below, more of this work can be seen here-
http://joe-cali.com/eclipses/PAST/TSE2019/

Enjoy

Joe Cali

Salina Loyoques near Paso Jamo, Atacama Desert.

Salina Loyoques near Paso Jamo, Atacama Desert.

Caldera Pacana near Paso Jamo, Atacama Desert.

Caldera Pacana near Paso Jamo, Atacama Desert.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

This is my old dark site in Nebraska. My daughter lived here until June. It had a wonderful view at 4300 feet. Unfortunately they have sold the place, but we viewed the Solar eclipse from here in 2017 as well as many other sweet wonders during their tenure here.
Attachments
Nebraska.jpg
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Could we make this a sticky...or have I missed that also ? 😊
If it is already a sticky...well...heck...I'm just gettin old already. 😁
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Not a sticky yet, Mark - no need to worry. I had to go back about a gazillion pages to find it :)
Bob

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Done.....
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Gordon wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:29 pmDone.....
SWEET !
Thank you Gordon !
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Any time!

That's what we are here for.

:banana-angel: :banana-blonde: :banana-dance: :banana-dreads: :banana-explosion:
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Arsene37
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Arsene37 »

Hello !
Strange holes in the clouds !
Nuages.jpg
Enjoy !
Arsène
Petzval quadruplet 152/760 on iOptron CEM25P — XX12 Orion Skyquest — 5.5" Celestron Comet Catcher (40 years old) — Perl-Vixen 130 mm/720 mm EQ — 8 mmm, 17mm and 31 mm aspheric Hyperion — BST Explorer ED 5 mm — Baader MPCC II — Leica EP 20x-60x — 2x Barlow — TS Optics Binoculars 20x80 Triplet.
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Arsene37 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:27 pm Hello !

Nuages.jpg
Enjoy !
Arsène
Such a wonderful image.
It almost looks like an image of a bootprint in snow behind the image of the windmill ! :-)
Very cool looking.
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador

Post by mcolbert »

Don Quixote wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:09 pm Portrait of a friend
the first thing that comes to mind; not an imaginary friend, I hope. ;). But on the other hand, like many images, it does allow the viewer to perhaps start to consider and reflect upon what a friend is. How much do we know of them? What are the sides we don't see.... and so on.
Refractor - APQ 130 Reflector - Meade SCT Au coating. Mount - AYOMaster (on order)
Cameras - Blads, D70s, D3300, Lunar and Planetary Cameras (2)
DIY Glass - German military and opthalmic sourced items, AGFA AVIPHOT DIA C
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

OzEclipse wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:39 pm I just spent 9 days exploring high salt lakes and volcanic calderas in the Atacama desert. My hotel was in San Pedro de Atacama at 2400m altitude. I had a rental car and would drive up to volcanic terrain 4000-5000m altitude each day.

In addition to the images below, more of this work can be seen here-
http://joe-cali.com/eclipses/PAST/TSE2019/

Enjoy

Joe Cali
Absolutely beautiful photographs Joe!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:04 am Absolutely beautiful photographs Joe!

Thanks,
Jim
Thanks Jim.

:text-thankyoublue:
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Arsene37
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Arsene37 »

Don Quixote wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:45 pm
Arsene37 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:27 pm Hello !

Nuages.jpg
Enjoy !
Arsène
Such a wonderful image.
It almost looks like an image of a bootprint in snow behind the image of the windmill ! :-)
Very cool looking.
There were a dozen of such holes in a raw, but no Titan to be seen !
Petzval quadruplet 152/760 on iOptron CEM25P — XX12 Orion Skyquest — 5.5" Celestron Comet Catcher (40 years old) — Perl-Vixen 130 mm/720 mm EQ — 8 mmm, 17mm and 31 mm aspheric Hyperion — BST Explorer ED 5 mm — Baader MPCC II — Leica EP 20x-60x — 2x Barlow — TS Optics Binoculars 20x80 Triplet.