The Great Photography Thread - REVIVED!

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: The Great Photography Thread - REVIVED!

Post by bobharmony »

He does seem to be enjoying the moment. Great image!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

Canon 5D mkII
Sigma 150-600C

I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Just the green bug (Cetonia aurata) on my rhododendron,
JG

PS: Click on the pic, please
Green bug on my rhododendron.jpg
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
Ozypic
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ozypic »

Great big ring around the moon last night, the pic doesn't do it credit. Looked quiet creepy. Phill..
DSC07031.JPG
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

A pair of Cetonia aurata during wedding on my rhododendron,
Beide dabei.jpg
Click on the pic to see details,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Voyageur »

j.gardavsky wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:04 pm A pair of Cetonia aurata during wedding on my rhododendron,

Beide dabei.jpg

Click on the pic to see details,
JG
The color and detail are simply stunning. So much beauty all around us that we so often are blind to. Thanks for this photo, JG.
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Another take of the bugs of today,
pair 2.jpg
and tomorrow is the season of my white rhododendron over.

Click twice on the pic, please,
JG
Leica 82mm APO Televid
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

We went out west last year for a few days and visited some parks in Utah and Arizona. We had a wonderful time and particularly enjoyed Zion and Arches National Parks. Here are a couple of shots from Arches:

The famous Double Arch:
DSCF0433.JPG
Several viewpoints within the park included a backdrop of the La Sal Mountains:
DSCF0337.JPG
Here is another famous feature, Balanced Rock:
DSCF0314.JPG
Then there is the Three Sisters or Three Gossips, depending on the source you read (a long shot and close up):
DSCF0363.JPG
DSCF0364.JPG
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Alan. These are fantastic photos from Arches. Ever since I saw the movie Mackenna's Gold (1969 with Gregory Peck and a huge all star cast) I have always wanted to take a trip out west to visit the great national parks and the amazing rock formations. Thanks for sharing these great photos with us on here Alan, and have a great weekend.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
astrowolf67 United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by astrowolf67 »

A couple of good shots of birds visiting our feeders. A Rose Breasted Grosbeak, and a Ruby Throated Hummingbird. This is the first year we've had the Grosbeaks visit us, and, at one point, there were a half dozen taking turns at the feeder. This is the only one that still comes by, while I guess the others have continued on with their Northern migration.

The Hummingbird pictured, has taken residence with us for at least the last three years. We've named it Rufus, lol!! It is VERY territorial. We've had to hang a second feeder, in a different part of the yard, so the others can have some nectar too. Rufus still tries to hoard both feeders though. He/she, will fly high up a tree in our back yard, to keep an eye on both feeders. It's quite comical to just sit on the patio, and watch them for hours at a time.
94591516_2956875197740695_6759706417080303616_o.jpg
18447687_10154715938337153_8605061182081054416_n.jpg
David
Celestron 8" Starhopper Dob, Meade Starfinder EQ 8", Apertura 6" F/5, Meade 114NT, Edmund Astroscan, ES AR102, Sky Watcher 102mm Mak, ETX 80, ETX 60, Orion ST80, Sears Discoverer 4 6333a, Meade LXD75, ES Twilight 1, Star Adventurer 2i
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

59635442_10218615118990264_5989013083144585216_o.jpg
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Full Moon spring tide and high pressure to the north of Ireland.

APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

From a couple of years ago... a Junebug :D

The empty exoskeleton the next morning... :lol:

Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Member of the RASC
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Ever go to take a sip of your coffee and find someone else or thing beat you to it?

It happens... :lol:

Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Member of the RASC
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

A frog with its favorite food on its eye...

I'll stop now... :lol:
Mark

Solar:

Member of the RASC
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

kt4hx wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:58 pm We went out west last year for a few days and visited some parks in Utah and Arizona. We had a wonderful time and particularly enjoyed Zion and Arches National Parks. Here are a couple of shots from Arches:

The famous Double Arch:

DSCF0433.JPG

DSCF0337.JPG

DSCF0314.JPG

Then there is the Three Sisters or Three Gossips, depending on the source you read (a long shot and close up):

DSCF0363.JPG

DSCF0364.JPG
Man, that is really cool Alan!

I was in the mist of planning a Zion trip when this “stuff”broke out. I’ve wanted to go there for the past few years.
My wife is a nurse and I don’t see us going anywhere soon. Maybe next year.

I’ll bet the skies were awesome at night. I went to Yosemite a few years back and stayed at a place called The Evergreen Lodge which was out in the middle of nowhere. The skies were completely filled with stars. Actually, very bright with stars. Amazing!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

One of my favorite spots at Morton Arboretum:
Arb.JPG
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Juno16 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:07 am
kt4hx wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:58 pm We went out west last year for a few days and visited some parks in Utah and Arizona. We had a wonderful time and particularly enjoyed Zion and Arches National Parks. Here are a couple of shots from Arches:

The famous Double Arch:

DSCF0433.JPG

DSCF0337.JPG

DSCF0314.JPG

DSCF0363.JPG

DSCF0364.JPG
Man, that is really cool Alan!

I was in the mist of planning a Zion trip when this “stuff”broke out. I’ve wanted to go there for the past few years.
My wife is a nurse and I don’t see us going anywhere soon. Maybe next year.

I’ll bet the skies were awesome at night. I went to Yosemite a few years back and stayed at a place called The Evergreen Lodge which was out in the middle of nowhere. The skies were completely filled with stars. Actually, very bright with stars. Amazing!
Thanks Jim. Those shots are in Arches NP over near Moab in eastern Utah. Zion is pretty cool, but a lot of the area we were in was at the bottom of the canyon where the lodging is, so a lot of steep cliffs around. My wife preferred Zion while I preferred Arches. In Arches there is a lot of wide open, and places where one could camp. We did not stay in the parks, rather in towns outside of them. But I am quite certain, Arches in particular would be spectacular at night. If we decide to ever drive out there at some point a I would likely take the 10 inch dob with me and we might sleep in the park so I could set it up there. :)

Another park that is less well know, and one we wish to visit on another trip is Capital Reef NP. In our limited time we also did not visit Bryce or Canyonlands. We did drive down into Arizona to see the southern rim of the Grand Canyon and visited the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert. For us, while we are glad we went to the places in Arizona, we felt one trip to each was all we needed, and there are other places we would rather go next time and others that we would like to revisit in time as well. There is just so much stuff out there it will take multiple trips to go everywhere we would like to, and then likely never get to see all we would like to.

We had planned to go to Yosemite, Sequoia and Lake Tahoe later this month and take the kids with us as a large family vacation. But Cali is not going to really open up in time frame we had picked so we cancelled it this time around. We are thinking next year. But my wife and I might try yet to get out into Utah or Colorado in June perhaps.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi all. While we can walk through our back yard and the White Ibis birdies don't care much, I have since tamed two of them and they now come right up to me when I bring out some bread.
Ibis Up Close.JPG
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Just a Centaurea montana in our garden,
Centaurea montana.jpg
I like the Alpine flowers,
JG

PS: Click on the pic, but don't step on the flower
Leica 82mm APO Televid