The Great Photography Thread - REVIVED!

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: The Great Photography Thread - REVIVED!

Post by bobharmony »

OhNo wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:14 am Oh oh. When these guys show up it isn't long until the snow flies!!!!!

_MG_0446.JPG
The geese flyovers and stopovers have been increasing around here lately too. Time to get the warm gear ready!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Here's one for you old mainframe buffs... Old as in mainframe, not you...:lol:

I was going through a box of "old stuff" a while ago, and came across my recorder book from grade 3. At that time (1974/75), I was living in Lachine, Montreal, going to Meadowbrook grade school. I remember the music teacher quite liked me as I was a decent student, and one day he gave me a printout from the schools mainframe computer which I taped to the front of my recorder book. As to why the first "R" in recorder is missing, I could not tell you :lol:
psbgm-snoopy.jpg
PSBGM stands for Protestant School Board of Greater Montreal, which no longer exists.
As for the computer, the H/P 2000F, I believe it's the same as this (the time frame is right); 2000 Timeshare System, though I have been known to be wrong ;)

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

While I'm at it, these are a few pictures from when I was living in Montreal in '05. Excuse the small pictures; digital cameras weren't what they are now :D

This is Montreal from the south shore; I'm coming from Chateauguay over the Mercier bridge into Montreal. That's the St. Lawrence flowing below. This bridge was built in the '30's and is often under construction, as you can see.

P1010014.jpg

Just after you get off the bridge, you are in the city of LaSalle. I'm driving through what's referred to as the Whiskey Trench, though you won't find it named on a map that way. Seagrams had a huge distillery that was on both sides of this road until 1996. The buildings are still there, and supposedly whiskey was stored there for years after. I can vouch for the fact you could still smell it in 2005! Not a good stretch to drive with a hangover...

P1010020.jpg

Like most cities, Montreal will not take away your old toilet; you have to bring it to the dump. So what do you do if you don't want to go to the dump with your nasty old toilet??
Why, plant flowers in in, and place it in your front yard for all to see :lol:

Toilet1.jpg

Montreal is an island surrounded by water. As such, when it pours rain for two straight days, the river surrounding the island rises, and the sewers start backing up. And depending on the pressure at certain points in the sewer system, this is a common thing; water shooting out of a sewer. Gotta be careful where you park! :doh:

July05-2005.jpg

Fun from 14 years ago :D
Have a good night!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

We Canucks have to be a crazy bunch.... The people effected weren't quite ready for what good ole Momma Nature dealt us this weekend. Neither were the trees. The Ash and Maples had lost their leaves and began the hardening off process, not so much with the Poplar and Caragana.

Harvest in the area is about 50% done, a little further away they are less than 1/3 complete. My understanding is that some places in Montana had just about 5' of this out-of-season white stuff, we have about 5". So if you see a farmer that looks grumpy you should either stay away from 'em or give 'em a big hug!!!!

It supposed to clear off tomorrow evening, but the transparency is predicted to be less than average with average seeing. The humidity and snow has cleaned the combine dust out of the air but the reminder that we're not even close to understand why the weather does what it does has just been proven AGAIN!!!!
_MG_0481.JPG
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

I have been thinking about Space and Time lately.
I wanted to share a moment of my time with you here. :|
Attachments
TIME 3.jpg
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Borgeau Lake ca. 2005 - using a little point and shoot camera

My son and I make a habit of going hiking in Western Alberta every spring. This is an oldie but a Goldie, taken when Keith was a tyke, while we were hiking up to Borgeau lake, in Banff National Park. The camera's date function is out of whack... and I guess I didn't bother to fix it. :)

Thanks for looking,

Ian
Attachments
Mount Borgeau.jpg
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
Hobbit1066
Earth Ambassador

Post by Hobbit1066 »

there is always one - well 2 of us really but hey ho, whilst on holiday down on the Jurassic Coast line me a friend decided we ould go for a cloud break and try and photography the Milky way over "Durdle Door" a spot that is photographed loads of times, having realised the walk is a lot further than the sign suggested (it wasn't it we followed it) , so having made our way there the sea fog was clearing nicely as well as the clouds.
within 30mins its was all back with a vengeance !!!!!
this is what i got - Sigma 10-20, unmodified D5300
one is of Durdle Door, the other is the Path down form the caravan park.
Durdle Door.jpg
Durdle Door MW.jpg
Sanity in an insane world is insane
SCOPE - Sky watcher ST80mm
MOUNT Celestron CG-4 with motordrive
OTHER KIT Nikon D5300, Sigma 10-20mm F3.5, Sigma 150-600mm Contemporay, Nikkor 35mm F1.8, Nikkor 70-300 AF-P, rednsapper tripod and head, Kenro Carbon Gimbal, 3LT Trent Monopod and Docz foot
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

The garden spiders are busy this time of year!

Hand held camera phone.

Must get round to picking those apples!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

I have a long video of this little fellow working but it is much too large to upload.

I think our spiders are related Graeme. 😊
Attachments
20191018_092154.jpg
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

One more, out my window just now, for the fun of it...😊
Attachments
Resized_20191018_163035(1).jpeg
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Speaking of spiders... Came in this afternoon from my "Sunny Sunday", and saw this just above the table at the back door... So glad I'm not a fly.... :lol:
spider.png
Mark

Solar:
3052 Member of the RASC
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Thefatkitty wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:18 am Here's one for you old mainframe buffs... Old as in mainframe, not you...:lol:
I was going through a box of "old stuff" a while ago, and came across my recorder book from grade 3. At that time (1974/75), I was living in Lachine, Montreal, going to Meadowbrook grade school. I remember the music teacher quite liked me as I was a decent student, and one day he gave me a printout from the schools mainframe computer which I taped to the front of my recorder book. As to why the first "R" in recorder is missing, I could not tell you :lol:
psbgm-snoopy.jpg
Hi Mark. Here is another one from the old days of DOS and dot matrix printers. :lol:
Astro.jpg
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

I was working in London this weekend and stopped off at the Royal Observatory at Greenwich on the way home where I studied astronomy. This is the dome of the 28inch Great Equatorial Refractor which sits on the Prime Meridian. It is a thing of beauty!

The picture is a couple of years old.

Regards

Graeme

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Graeme1858 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:16 pm I was working in London this weekend and stopped off at the Royal Observatory at Greenwich on the way home where I studied astronomy. This is the dome of the 28inch Great Equatorial Refractor which sits on the Prime Meridian. It is a thing of beauty!

The picture is a couple of years old.

Regards

Graeme
Of the few places in the history of astronomy that I would enjoy visiting this is on the top of my list. Thank you Graeme for this photo.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

You're welcome! I'll dig a couple more out.

It's my favourite place in the world! I've completed a few astronomy courses there including a two year foundation astro physics course.

Regards

Graeme

Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

From yesterday's stroll at the lake
Attachments
JU9_5708-Edit.jpg
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Yellow.jpg
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

I know it is a little goofy, but hey, this is October. It's the month for goofy pictures. I taught a night/low light photography class last night. The students wanted to practice on some indoor low light shots, so I took this selfie to show them how. Then I surprised them with a volunteer model and let them practice weird shots.
Attachments
night photography class.jpg
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

jrkirkham wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:31 pm I know it is a little goofy, but hey, this is October. It's the month for goofy pictures. I taught a night/low light photography class last night. The students wanted to practice on some indoor low light shots, so I took this selfie to show them how. Then I surprised them with a volunteer model and let them practice weird shots.
Love it ! 👍
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A couple of pictures from the hiking vacation in Banff and Jasper National parks, on our left we had a small family of Mountain Goats and a few minutes later a few young Bighorn Sheep walked through on our right :)
214 Mountain Goats.png
218 Young Bighorn Sheep.png
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt