Vehicles with stop & start system

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects.
Lady Fraktor
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

Vehicles with stop & start system

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Does anyone use this feature?
I am getting a new vehicle that has this and Fiat says 62 mpg without using but can get 14% better economy if using it. (73 mpg)
What are your thoughts on driving with this?
Proper Telescopes: Antares 105 f/15, Bresser 102 f/13.2, Celestron 150 f/8, Stellarvue NHNGDX 80 f/6.9, TAL 100RS f/10, TS 102 f/11, UR 70 f/10, Vixen ED115s f/7.7
Mounts: Berlebach Planet w/ 410mm pier, Celestron AS-GT, Celestron CG-5 w/ Argo Navis & tracking motor, SLT w/ 250mm pier & tripod mods, Manfrotto 028b w/ SV M2C, Mantrotto 055Pro w/ 128RC, Skywatcher EQ-5 w/ dual drives, TAL MT1C w/ wood tripod, Vixen SXP w/ HAL-130 & 200mm half pier
Diagonal: 2" A-P Maxbright, 2" Baader Herschel Wedge (P), 2" Zeiss/ Baader Amici Prism (DX2), 2" Long Perng Amici Prism, 2" Stellarvue DX, 2" TeleVue EverBrite
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Vehicles with stop & start system

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I have several thoughts......

1) You are babying us "Amerkins" by discussing mpg figures. Does Fiat really quote mpg to Slovakia which being a civilized country on the metric system I'd suspect is using kilometers per liter? ;)

2) My only concern would be reliablity. 14% fuel economy improvement is nothing to sneeze at. I'd teach this old dog the new trick as long as the additional complexity of the starting system has negligible effects on mean time between failure. Is there data on that?
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
Peter802
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Peter802 »

Takes a bit of getting use to NFA.
I have a Honda with it fitted and it causes me no problem after 2 weeks of running with it.
You have to keep the electrical side well maintained and ensure the battery is up to the job.
Clear Skies.
Regards,

Peter
Peter802
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Peter802 »

Sorry my last should have been pointed at Gabby. Sorry for my error.
Clear Skies.
Regards,

Peter
Greenman
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Hi Gabby,

My old Kia Sportage had this feature, I had that for 4 years. It only happens when you go into neutral. Thing to watch out for is doing this just as the traffic lights go green. :)

Easy once you get used to it. I think the savings on fuel are a bit massaged 14% seems a lot.

Now driving a Kia Niro hybrid, I like hybrid technology & the automatic gear box is excellent.
Cheers,

Tony.

AP SCT: Celestron NexStar 6SE; Orion RACI 9x500 illuminated finder; Antares 0.63 reducer; Antares 2" Dielectic diagonal.

AP Refractor: Altair Starwave 80ED F7; 1x PlanoStar Flattener; Antares Versascope 60mm finder.

Celestron AVX Mount; Celestron SE6 Mount; Sky portal 2 WiFi; ZWO ASI224MC; SvBony 305; Canon EOS 100 (Unmoded).
X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, Celestron 8-24mm Zoom.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Baader Semi Apo; Baader Fringe Killer.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Gabby, I've Jeep Wranglers for several decades... Owned five of them over the years. My 2019 Wrangler came equipped with the feature and I use it all the time when driving in the city... Works great!

Wranglers are pretty much known for lousy gas mileage... I've experienced a 24% increase in MPG with this one.

Using the function is a no-brainer. It simply turns off the engine when the vehicle is stopped and brake is engaged... No need to put the transmission in neutral. A small green light in the dashboard illuminates when it has turned the engine off. If the driver wishes to disengage the system a simple button on the dash is all that is required... The switch illuminates when engaged.

I obviously don't engage the system when four-wheeling in the desert.
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
pakarinen
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

When they first came out, I would hear them at stoplights and wonder what was wrong with the cars / trucks. LOL.

My only concern would be how well the starters hold up.
On dead branches
birds remain perched
at autumn's end.

Orion ST120, Meade AdventureScope ST80, Skywatcher 90mm Mak
Twilight 1 / Astro Devices encoders / Nexus II / Manfrotto 475B tripod / Stellarvue M1V / Skywatcher AZ5
Nikon Aculon 10x50 binos / US Navy 1944 Mark 30 7x50 binos
Lady Fraktor
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:00 am I have several thoughts......

1) You are babying us "Amerkins" by discussing mpg figures. Does Fiat really quote mpg to Slovakia which being a civilized country on the metric system I'd suspect is using kilometers per liter? ;)
I thought I would be nice as 4.5L/ 100 km, 3.8L/ 100km may not mean much to the Amerikans :lol:
That is Imperial gallons, in US gallons it would be 3.79L/ 100km, 3.2L/ 100km

Thank you for the input guys, it should be interesting to see how well it actually works.
The Fiat has a 1.3L diesel engine with 5 speed manual gearbox and with fuel at 0.987/L at the moment making it last a bit longer would be nice. :)
Proper Telescopes: Antares 105 f/15, Bresser 102 f/13.2, Celestron 150 f/8, Stellarvue NHNGDX 80 f/6.9, TAL 100RS f/10, TS 102 f/11, UR 70 f/10, Vixen ED115s f/7.7
Mounts: Berlebach Planet w/ 410mm pier, Celestron AS-GT, Celestron CG-5 w/ Argo Navis & tracking motor, SLT w/ 250mm pier & tripod mods, Manfrotto 028b w/ SV M2C, Mantrotto 055Pro w/ 128RC, Skywatcher EQ-5 w/ dual drives, TAL MT1C w/ wood tripod, Vixen SXP w/ HAL-130 & 200mm half pier
Diagonal: 2" A-P Maxbright, 2" Baader Herschel Wedge (P), 2" Zeiss/ Baader Amici Prism (DX2), 2" Long Perng Amici Prism, 2" Stellarvue DX, 2" TeleVue EverBrite
Lady Fraktor
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:00 am My only concern would be reliablity. 14% fuel economy improvement is nothing to sneeze at. I'd teach this old dog the new trick as long as the additional complexity of the starting system has negligible effects on mean time between failure. Is there data on that?
I am not sure about all of the parts involved but I see in the information about the system the starter, alternator and battery are changed out for larger capacity units.
Lady Fraktor
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Lowjiber wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:57 am Gabby, I've Jeep Wranglers for several decades... Owned five of them over the years. My 2019 Wrangler came equipped with the feature and I use it all the time when driving in the city... Works great!

Wranglers are pretty much known for lousy gas mileage... I've experienced a 24% increase in MPG with this one.
Wow John! A 24% increase with a Jeep would be amazing, my 2004 Grand Cherokee had to be going down a really steep hill with a strong wind behind to get 16 mpg! :lol:
Star Dad
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Star Dad »

Our older civic is a hybrid - we gave it to our daughter. I really miss the start/stop engine in the city. It was quite disconcerting at first but you get used to it. That car is a 2005 model and still running well. My wife really regrets giving to the daughter. I know it's not a Fiat, but I presume the technology is similar. BTW my favorite car of all time was a Fiat Spyder. Fiat = Fix it again, Tony. I learned a heck of a lot about cars with it. But it was a really fun car to drive.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC
seigell
Mars Ambassador

Post by seigell »

My previous 2016 Jeep Cherokee had the Stop-Start System, and it was Great. 12% Economy Gain on average.
My Ram 1500 has the beefier version, and between Stop-Start in the City and Cylinder-Deactivation on the Highway, I can see 23-25 MPG in a 5L HEMI Pickup.

Every Manufacturer adds different "Quirks" to their Stop-Start Implementation.
The Jeep would Restart once Parked as you finally put the Transmission into Park (the Stop-Start Criteria was no longer Satisfied), which DID serve to remind the Driver to actually Turn-Off the Ignition. But when at an Intersection, the Engine was Running at-speed in the instant that it took to shift your Right Foot from the Brake to the Gas. No Complaint there...
The Pickup will actually Chirp the Rears if I didn't add an extra 1/2 Sec delay in putting my Foot back to the Accelerator.
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
Gordon
Site Admin
Articles: 362

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Gordon »

My new Kia Soul has that feature, but you can turn it off. So far I'm leaving it on just because.....

Only down side I can see is wear and tear on the starter.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 254N, Orion ST80, Orion Atlas EQ-g mount, Orion SSAG guider. Baader MPCC MkIII coma corrector, Vixen 70mm refractor. Lunt LS35THa solar scope. Skywatcher EQ5pro mount. Imagers: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm Eyepieces: a few, Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, EQMOD, SGP, Nebulosity, Photoshop, StarTools V1.4
Blog: http://ghswen.blogspot.com/
Ozypic
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ozypic »

Yea they must be a great starter motor, still if the warranty is good who cares. I would imagine the extra fuel saving would just be tied into the time spent in bumper to bumper traffic... My Kia Cerato doesn't do it... Phill
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
smeyer8015
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by smeyer8015 »

Never driven a stop/start system car.

I have a true hybrid. Toyota Prius.
I'm averaging 58 MPG US. It does best in Spring and Fall. A little lower in the Summer when AC is needed. Winter is the worst since heat comes from the engine.
My best tank has been 62 MPG. Worst was a long two day trip on the interstate at 70 MPH. 53 MPG

The Prius won't win any races, but is has more than enough power to get moving if you need to.
Celestron Classic 8, Old Sears 60mm f/15 refractor, Old Edmund Scientific 6 inch F/8 newt, GSO 2" Diag, ES 30mm/70, ES 25mm/70, Orion 32 Super Plossl, Mead 24mm MA,
X-Cel LX 18mm, Luminos 15mm, F/6.3 reducer, Luminos 2.5x barlow, Telrad, Celestron 9x50 RACI, DIY Baader Solar Filter, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Bresser EXOS-2 Goto, Revolution Imager R1

No trees were killed in the sending of this post. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Lola Bruce
Moon Ambassador

Post by Lola Bruce »

If you lease it its great. If you own it not so much. Big wear on started and parts. If it is a diesel the savings are so small that the saving in money are upside down to maintenance . I was a licensed master mechanic long ago. Nice feature on a hybrid.
Gordon
Site Admin
Articles: 362

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Gordon »

Ozypic wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:22 pm Yea they must be a great starter motor, still if the warranty is good who cares. I would imagine the extra fuel saving would just be tied into the time spent in bumper to bumper traffic... My Kia Cerato doesn't do it... Phill
I lease my car so every 3 years I get a new one anyway.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 254N, Orion ST80, Orion Atlas EQ-g mount, Orion SSAG guider. Baader MPCC MkIII coma corrector, Vixen 70mm refractor. Lunt LS35THa solar scope. Skywatcher EQ5pro mount. Imagers: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm Eyepieces: a few, Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, EQMOD, SGP, Nebulosity, Photoshop, StarTools V1.4
Blog: http://ghswen.blogspot.com/
Richard
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Richard »

I have this on my Alfa Giulietta and honestly I am not a fan of this , REAL fuel consumption gain is virtually 0! unless you drive in stop start traffic every day. On the Alfa/Fiat manual models it is engaged with the clutch pedal so when you stop the gearbox must be in neutral and, clutch out , engaging the clutch start the engine.
The starter motor is designed for this purpose and should be fine , however the battery is a special stop/start one and costs 3x the price of a regular one here in RSA, mine lasted 2 years.
Their is a sensor that monitors the battery and if not 100% stop/start is deactivated , which happens a lot if you dont drive it everyday (like me)
The system can be deactivated manually after starting , but the default is always on ,so once its restarted you need to deactivate it again.
The consumption at idle is .5l/hr so unless you sit in a massive traffic jam I dont see how it can save much fuel.
Also if the AC is on then when the car stops it is also switched off , so not great in hot countries like here
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs , Sky-watcher 10 inch Dobs
Refractors Tasco 10TE-5
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Butterfly Maiden
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Gabrielle, we bought a new Hyundai i20 last year which has that feature. This was the first time we'd had a vehicle like that and it took some getting used to.

The salesman said it did save fuel, although I can't remember any figures that he may have quoted.

At first I thought I'd stalled the engine when we'd come to a stop in traffic, until I remembered the salesman's pitch about it, and I saw the green warning indicator on the instrument panel that it was currently active.

We have a choice though. There is a button that can be pressed to deactivate it.

However, even the small amount of fuel it saves, plus the benefit to the environment, can only be a good thing, so we leave it switched on.
Vanessa
Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Tim456
Moon Ambassador

Post by Tim456 »

I’ve driven rental cars with this feature and couldn’t disable it fast enough. With a rental car it is more just a matter of personal preference. I stay in gear ready to go on my bike at stop lights so maybe it is carryover from that.

As far as wear and tear is concerned there are really only two outcomes. The first is you are going to wear out a standard starter and battery faster. The second is you paid a premium for a more robust starter and battery. Of course this would be buried in the purchase price. You may be able to get a ballpark by comparing the cost of replacement parts with a model year that doesn’t have this feature. You will have to do some quick math based on the fuel savings and miles (err km) driven per year to see how much you are actually netting.

Also worth noting I have gotten somewhere around 90mpg on a ninjette by keeping the revs low for the entire tank. Always an option! :D
Telescopes: Nexstar 8i, Astromaster 90AZ
Eye Pieces: TeleVue 7 mm Nagler, Celestron 12.5 mm Ultima, Plossl 25mm, 20mm Celestron, 10 mm Celestron, ES 62° 14 mm, Meade Illuminated Reticle 12 mm, ES 62° 9 mm.

Return to “Off-Topic”