What Do You Do To Get A Good Nights Sleep?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects.
Refractordude
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

What Do You Do To Get A Good Nights Sleep?

Post by Refractordude »

I was searching the WWW for foods that help with sleep. I came across a strange and interesting post. Was just wondering what some of you do to get a good nights sleep. I like to listen to a YouTube sound of rain video, but with the screen turned off. Not eating anything after 6:00pm. Keeping the room a little cool helps also. Thanks to you all. Right click the image.
Attachments
a good nights sleep.PNG
Telescopes: Celestron 150mm f/8 Refractor, Meade LX70 120mm f/8 Refractor, Vixen 70mm f/12.9 Refractor, Tasco 49N 50mm Red Refractor
Binoculars: Zhumell 20x80 Giant, Oberwerk LW 11x70, Levenhuk Sherman 7x50
Mounts: Orion SkyView Pro Equatorial, Orion Versago II Altazimuth, Farpoint Universal Parrallogram Mount, Orion Tritech II Fluid Head Tripod
Finders: GSO 8x50 Raci, Svbony Red Dot
Diagonals: GSO Dielectric 2", GSO Dielectric 1.25"
Eyepieces: GSO Superview 30mm, Astromania-Olivon 22mm, GSO Plossls 32mm/25mm/20mm, GSO 20mm Superview, Svbony 20mm/15mm/9mm/6mm, Svbony Aspheric 23mm/10mm/4mm, Agena Super Wide Angle 15mm, Few No Name Brand Ebay Plossls
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What Do You Do To Get A Good Nights Sleep?

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I don't get a good night's sleep or at least almost never. There are medical issues that need attention.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
Ylem
Local Group Ambassador

Post by Ylem »

Sadly, I alternate, every other night is twist and turn. Then the next night I sleep like a baby.

I can't figure out why :(
I think I am turning into a night person, I can easily stay up till 3AM even if I am not observing.
I can fall asleep at anytime during the middle of the day.

Maybe I should don some white make-up and dark eyeshadow and become a "Goth" 😂
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Orion 127 Mak, ST80
Celestron Celestar
8SE, C6, C90 Mak
A big box of Plossls :D
GCoyote
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

1. Stop watching TV/video about two hours before bedtime unless they have a 'night' mode that changes the color palette from the usual blue scheme to a softer reddish. Blue interferes with the production of melatonin.
(Lately I have to remember to stop arguing with dipsticks on the Internet at late hours. Just not healthy.)
2. If I eat late, it's a complex carb or other mild item.
3. Only one, maybe two drinks at most. Or just hot herbal tea if it's cold.
4. A 10mg melatonin along with my daily aspirin at least an hour before bed.
5. Soft instrumental background music. Lyrics tend to make me want to sing/hum which will not only keep me awake but annoy humans and small animals in a considerable radius.
6. Unless I'm already sleepy I'll take a generic diphenhydramine (Benadryl) about half an hour prior to bed. That also helps during pollen season.
7. Read. No thrillers, adventures, or wild sci fi. History, economics, science. Put it down when I start yawning.

My success in getting a decent night's sleep is usually proportional to how many of these steps I can tick off correctly.

Hope that helps.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
AntennaGuy
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by AntennaGuy »

Um, astronomy and "a good night's sleep" don't really go together. Observe less, sleep more (or vice versa).
Example: https://blogs.iu.edu/sciu/2018/05/22/as ... -schedule/
"Did you wake up grumpy this morning?" he asked. "No," replied the woman, "I just let him sleep."
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
* Losmandy GM8G mount.
* Vixen VMC260L on order.
Refractordude
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Refractordude »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:41 am I don't get a good night's sleep or at least almost never. There are medical issues that need attention.
I hope you are feeling well soon.
Telescopes: Celestron 150mm f/8 Refractor, Meade LX70 120mm f/8 Refractor, Vixen 70mm f/12.9 Refractor, Tasco 49N 50mm Red Refractor
Binoculars: Zhumell 20x80 Giant, Oberwerk LW 11x70, Levenhuk Sherman 7x50
Mounts: Orion SkyView Pro Equatorial, Orion Versago II Altazimuth, Farpoint Universal Parrallogram Mount, Orion Tritech II Fluid Head Tripod
Finders: GSO 8x50 Raci, Svbony Red Dot
Diagonals: GSO Dielectric 2", GSO Dielectric 1.25"
Eyepieces: GSO Superview 30mm, Astromania-Olivon 22mm, GSO Plossls 32mm/25mm/20mm, GSO 20mm Superview, Svbony 20mm/15mm/9mm/6mm, Svbony Aspheric 23mm/10mm/4mm, Agena Super Wide Angle 15mm, Few No Name Brand Ebay Plossls
DEnc
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

Xanax, or if you're concerned about chemical dependance, Trazodone!

I'm reminded of a neighbor who was an anesthesiologist: "Better living through chemistry." When he saw my wife and I heading out for a night on the town, and the baby sitter rolling in, he offered his help. He'd put every one involved to sleep if he saw any trouble.

Well, maybe that wouldn't have worked out well. It was a mixed neighborhood near a university with lots of medical fellows, fireman, and policemen. Two owners ago our place was owned by a fellow who had a seizure. The neighborhood consensus was that he would have made it if the ambulance crew got to him before all the neighborhood MD fellows did....
pakarinen
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

Take a good sauna a couple hours before bed. Lays me out flat every time. Unfortunately it's not possible for me to hit the sauna at Lifetime with COVID now.
On dead branches
birds remain perched
at autumn's end.

Orion ST120, Meade AdventureScope ST80, Skywatcher 90mm Mak
Twilight 1 / Astro Devices encoders / Nexus II / Manfrotto 475B tripod / Stellarvue M1V / Skywatcher AZ5
Nikon Aculon 10x50 binos / US Navy 1944 Mark 30 7x50 binos
Butterfly Maiden
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

I think age and physical well-being plays important parts in how well you sleep.

Sophia and I are quite young and active. Living in the New Forest we walk, cycle and jog quite often in beautiful fresh air.

Luckily, we are physically fit so neither of us have trouble sleeping.

I suppose as you get older and medical conditions become apparent, then things change. I'm sorry I can't offer any definitive answers to help from my standpoint.

The advice I've read from other members though are worth trying.
Vanessa
Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
KathyNS
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

(1) I have my main meal at midday; I don't eat after 6:00.
(2) I keep the bedroom coolish.
(3) I automated my observatory.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Hall's Harbour Observatory (H2O)
bobharmony

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

I find that laying down and closing my eyes works well most nights. Hope that keeps up. I throw in the occasional AP all-nighter just to keep me honest.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

UlteriorModem
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Recently got an app on my Android phone called "Sleep sounds" it has dozens of 'white noise' sounds which are further customizable.

I like the "Above the skies" sound (kinda like airliner sound) but it's just white noise. Set it to run for 8 hours and close the screen and place the phone on a window sill above my bed. Just got to remember to turn off wifi and bluetooth for the batteries sake.

I was skeptical but it does seem to help.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 8" f3.9 "Astrograph"
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
SkyHiker
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I always sleep well when I ride my bicycle to work. About 20-25 minutes racing each way it is a stress l reliever aside from the physical exercise. On weekends I go for a good exhausting hike. Oh and I found that becoming a teetotaler, which I have become since March or so, helps significantly too.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: 6" Mak-Newt (Comet Hunter), ES ED127CF, ES ED80, Zhumell Z12, AT6RC, Venture RX-7, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with DIY OnStep, AVX, LXD55, Tiltall, Cameras: Fuji X-a1, Canon SX40, Xt, XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Barndoor trackers for 10" Dob and camera, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK
pakarinen
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

Here's an all nighter is you want nature sounds. Plus you get to see Orion rising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKmRkS1os7k
On dead branches
birds remain perched
at autumn's end.

Twilight 1 / Astro Devices encoders / Nexus II / Manfrotto 475B tripod / Stellarvue M1V / Skywatcher AZ5
GCoyote
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

KathyNS wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:55 pm (1) I have my main meal at midday; I don't eat after 6:00.
(2) I keep the bedroom coolish.
(3) I automated my observatory.

Yeah, I can definitely see the upside of #3. Added to my To-Do list. :Astronomer1:
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
UlteriorModem
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

For sure, Sequence Generator pro for automation. I probably could not actually do without it.

Get things up and running shortly after dark and @ 12 hours later park and warm. All I got to do is get up and put the covers on. I am free to go to bed whenever it suits me :)

But... there is some time investment doing the programming and scheduling. But with some practice I can usually do 4 or 5 targets, even with mosaics, in less than an hour.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 8" f3.9 "Astrograph"
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Tim456
Moon Ambassador

Post by Tim456 »

I send the baby to his grandparent’s house. Works like a charm! Guaranteed 8+ hours of sleep.
Telescopes: Nexstar 8i, Astromaster 90AZ
Eye Pieces: TeleVue 7 mm Nagler, Celestron 12.5 mm Ultima, Plossl 25mm, 20mm Celestron, 10 mm Celestron, ES 62° 14 mm, Meade Illuminated Reticle 12 mm, ES 62° 9 mm.
Chich
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Chich »

I have been an insomniac for years. I usually get *maybe* 6hrs a night. On the other hand I am able to nap at the drop of a hat and when I do decide to go to sleep I am out within minutes of laying down. I rarely have a toss and turn night and if I do I just get up and read or putter about.
I did read somewhere that before we got into this modern life of alarm clocks and electric lights we had very different sleep patterns. It was common to sleep a few hours, get up for a few and then sleep a few more. Now that I am older and retired this is a pattern that I seem to naturally be falling into.
Makes me wonder if the "8 hours uninterrupted" is a myth along with carrots for good vision and 8 glasses of water a day?
turboscrew
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by turboscrew »

My problem is having the time for a good long sleep. Typically, when I go to bed, I fall asleep just before my head hits the pillow.
Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, dobsonian, all manual.
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

pakarinen
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

Chich wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:45 pm I did read somewhere that before we got into this modern life of alarm clocks and electric lights we had very different sleep patterns. It was common to sleep a few hours, get up for a few and then sleep a few more.
I read that also. It was in a book titled "Night" or "In Praise of Night" or something like that. I think they called them the First Sleep and the Second Sleep with eating, drinking, socializing in between.

I usually stay up after pre-dawn observing, but I sometimes go back to bed for an hour or so. More likely that I'll take an afternoon nap.
On dead branches
birds remain perched
at autumn's end.

Return to “Off-Topic”