What are you currently reading?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

What are you currently reading?

Post by GCoyote »

Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by KingNothing13 »

Just finished the 'Broken Earth" trilogy by NK Jemison - all 3 won Hugo Awards for the years they were released, pretty good stories.

I have one more short story left in the Amazon "Forward" series (One was written by Jemison, and won a Hugo award as well) which is how I discovered them. There are 6 total.

Not sure what's going to be next.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

I've been relying on the software "Libby" on an Android tablet for digital media, and it's really smothered my reading due to limited coverage. History, biographies, science, fiction/SciFi--90% of the time I come up with bupkis when I search for something of interest. I need to find another provider, at least until the library opens again!
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Geez - I managed to misspell her name twice in the post - it is NK Jemisin, not Jemison. Duh. :lol:
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Should be required reading for all of us. The tale of the quest for accurate navigational measurements, how time factored into solving the problem and how the Greenwich Observatory became "ground zero." Also Galileo's Daughter by the same author. It's more about Galileo than his daughter but she is an important element.

In a different vein, I recently read Fire in the Lake: The Vietnamese and the Americans in Vietnam by Frances FitzGerald. To me the most important lesson to take from this is the importance of understanding other cultures.

I can also recommend On Desperate Ground: The Marines at The Reservoir, the Korean War's Greatest Battle, and Ghost Soldiers, about the rescue of Bataan Death March survivors during WWII, both by Hampton Sides.

I got Fire In The Lake and On Desperate Ground both as ebooks from my local library. I'd think they'd be available from most any decent library.
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

DEnc wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:21 am I've been relying on the software "Libby" on an Android tablet for digital media, and it's really smothered my reading due to limited coverage. History, biographies, science, fiction/SciFi--90% of the time I come up with bupkis when I search for something of interest. I need to find another provider, at least until the library opens again!
Have you tried this?

http://www.gutenberg.org
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

"The Heartbeat of Wounded Knee" by David Treuer. It is a different view on the history of the American Indian related from an Indian point of view.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Well, I don't think my current reading material will be of any interest to the guys here (or maybe they are :think: )

Anyway, I'm reading lesbian romance novels on my Kindle. One of my favourite authors being Monica McCallan, so I'm currently re-reading six of her books I particularly like in that genre.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:49 am Well, I don't think my current reading material will be of any interest to the guys here (or maybe they are :think: )

Anyway, I'm reading lesbian romance novels on my Kindle. One of my favourite authors being Monica McCallan, so I'm currently re-reading six of her books I particularly like in that genre.

Don't sell yourself short. We are more open-minded than you might think Vanessa.

I am revisiting my Edgar Allen Poe section of my library. Dickens will be next.
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
Steve
Earth Ambassador

Post by Steve »

I'm reading Forces of Nature by professor Brian Cox,it might have been on the tele,not certain.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Sounds like a good book Steve.

Brian Cox is awesome.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Steve
Earth Ambassador

Post by Steve »

Hi Juno16 yes very good,but have to go back over certain chapters to understand,just whats going on.Howver a great reference book al the same,something to go back to time again.
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:49 am Well, I don't think my current reading material will be of any interest to the guys here (or maybe they are :think: )

I trust you've read all of Tom Robbins' novels. "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues" is a classic.
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Lowjiber wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:24 pm

I trust you've read all of Tom Robbins' novels. "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues" is a classic.
Definitely not. Not the style or author I'm into, especially after reading some of the reviews of that particular book. I found his attitude towards lesbians to be quite offensive.

I hope you don't support that attitude as well, otherwise we won't be exchanging any more comments.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:46 pm

Definitely not. Not the style or author I'm into, especially after reading some of the reviews of that particular book. I found his attitude towards lesbians to be quite offensive.

I hope you don't support that attitude as well, otherwise we won't be exchanging any more comments.

Whoa! John is not like that Vanessa! I know we feel passionate about certain things, but he isn't judging people.
~Eric
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:10 pm

Whoa! John is not like that Vanessa! I know we feel passionate about certain things, but he isn't judging people.
Just my assessment Eric. When someone makes a comment about a book being a classic, you tend to think they agree with the storyline.

Suggesting I should have read it implies I would agree with his treatment of lesbians.

I think you should read some of the reviews of that book Eric to see what I mean.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:16 pm
Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:10 pm

Just my assessment Eric. When someone makes a comment about a book being a classic, you tend to think they agree with the storyline.

Suggesting I should have read it implies I would agree with his treatment of lesbians.

I think you should read some of the reviews of that book Eric to see what I mean.

Did you read the book? What is your thought after reading it?
~Eric
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

I'm not commenting further about it.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Sorry you felt attacked, but I do not think that is the case. I am done as well.
~Eric
Arsene37
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Arsene37 »

Hi !
Reading one more translation of Iliad and Odyssey by Homer, a lot of information and customs in the ancient Greece.
Arsène
Petzval quadruplet 152/760 on iOptron CEM25P — XX12 Orion Skyquest — 5.5" Celestron Comet Catcher (40 years old) — Perl-Vixen 130 mm/720 mm EQ — 8 mmm, 17mm and 31 mm aspheric Hyperion — BST Explorer ED 5 mm — Baader MPCC II — Leica EP 20x-60x — 2x Barlow — TS Optics Binoculars 20x80 Triplet.