What TV programs are you watching?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects.
Butterfly Maiden
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

What TV programs are you watching?

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Okay, I thought this would be an interesting off-topic subject to get going.

We have just started watching a Netflix series called Lucifer.

It is currently up to Season 5, and we have just watched Season 1 and are now watching Season 2.

Basically, it’s about a character called Lucifer Morningstar (a Brit actor called Tom Ellis) who is a fallen Angel condemned to Hell, from where he escapes.

He ends up in Los Angeles, opens up a nightclub, and eventually teams up with a female homicide detective where he helps her solve murders, but there is a twist.

He is immortal and has the ability to persuade people to divulge their deepest desires. This opens up interesting possibilities, but without giving too much away, things change when he is in close proximity to the female detective.

Worth a watch and we are enjoying it.
Vanessa
KingNothing13
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What TV programs are you watching?

Post by KingNothing13 »

Lucifer started on FOX TV Network, was cancelled after season 3, and Netflix picked it up.

It is based on the Lucifer Comics, which takes the Lucifer character from the Neil Gaiman Sandman comics.

Love that show.

My wife and I binged season 5A last weekend. :)

Other than that, we are plowing through the Babylon 5 universe (Babylon 5, Crusade, et. al). South Park is on the TV right now.
-- Brett

Scopes:
Primary: Apertura AD10 with ES 82* 18mm (69x), 11mm (114x), & 6.7mm (187x); Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
G-n-G: Orion GoScope II 70mm "Travel Scope" with Orion 25mm Kellner (16x), Orion 10mm Kellner (40x)
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 65; Herschel 400: 26; Caldwell: 6
Carbon Star Hunt Returns

notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I’m watching season 5 of Lucifer.

I’m a fan of nordic noir detective stories and currently watching the 3rd and sadly final season of Bordertown (it’s called Sorjonen after the detective’s surname in Finland).

I’m watching Dark. It’s a German sci-fi about time travel told in 3 or 4 different years with different actors so I’m a little tangled. ;) (Who’s your Momma/Daddy? Or are you her/him?)

For happier fare I just got up to date with The Marvelous Mrs Maisel.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

I like the thread Vanessa, but I have nothing to contribute. I hardly ever watch TV, and when I do, it's usually old movies or classic TV shows. I have a hard time finding shows that interest me, or don't make me roll my eyes. Such as Lost. It was good until it got so far-fetched I couldn't handle it any more. I haven't watched a series since.
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
515bonner
Mars Ambassador

Post by 515bonner »

I just finished up the 3rd season of the Netflix series "Dark".
Deals with time travel. Not what you think. It does get a little confusing at times.
14.5" Starmaster; 9.25" Celestron; 8" Starmaster; 6" Orion Mak; 4" Celestron Refractor (Vixen)
iOptron CEM40; iOptron Cube Pro
ZWOASI120MM-s; ZWOASI290MC
Multitude of TeleVue and UO Konig II eyepieces

Member of Astronomical Society of Kansas City \ Astronomical League
Member of the British Astronomical Association
V.P. of Occultations, International Occultation Timing Association
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

515bonner wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:55 pm
I just finished up the 3rd season of the Netflix series "Dark".
Deals with time travel. Not what you think. It does get a little confusing at times.
I only just finished season 1. Discouraging to hear that the confusion deepens? :lol:
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Voyageur »

I am big on binge TV. I just signed up for Acorn TV, a British add-on to Amazon Prime Video. Opens up lots of new shows to US audiences!

Recently enjoyed the Loch Ness series. Stunning scenery, an interesting mystery and characters, and not too gory. Just started watching The Brokenwood Mysteries, set in New Zealand. Like it so far. Typical detective stuff, but entertaining. For the Kiwi-challenged, subtitles are available, but whoever did them was clueless: they are virtually useless. I enjoy seeing the scenery of NZ as much as the stories themselves.
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.
Graeme1858

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Graeme1858 »

We have been working or way through the seasons of Shameless. I didn't watch it when it was on TV in the 90s (or 00s (I think)) because I didn't think it would be my cup of tea and didn't watch much TV then anyway. But, it turns out it's really funny, although a bit over the top at times.

Think I might have a look at "Dark". Cheers Bonner. Got to love a good temporal anomaly story!

Regards

Graeme
Miranda 10x50 Binoculars.
Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Shabadoo »

The Flash.
Jeff
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Graeme1858 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:51 pm
We have been working or way through he seasons of Shameless. I didn't watch it when it was on TV in the 90s (or 00s (I think)) because I didn't think it would be my cup of tea and didn't watch much TV then anyway. But, it turns out it's really funny, although a bit over the top at times.

Think I might have a look at "Dark". Cheers Bonner. Got to love a good temporal anomaly story!

Regards

Graeme
Is Shameless good? I generally like Wm H Macy's work as an actor but confess to being put off by the premise. Netflix thinks I'm going to love it though.

I need to find a way to review the 1st season of Dark, Unfortunately Netflix says access expires today? It's daunting to be beginning the 2nd season without an adequate grasp of the 1st.
Ylem
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Ylem »

I don't watch much TV, except for what my associate has on.

Unfortunately she likes all those darn real estate and home improvement shows.

I am watching Lovecraft Country as I mentioned in another thread 😸
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Orion 127 Mak, ST80
Celestron Celestar
8SE,C6, C90 Mak
A big box of Plossls :D
pakarinen
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

Binge watching "Nurse Jackie", "Ripper Street", and "Longmire", all on Netflix.

Since I've worked at a couple of major medical centers here, "Jackie" is interesting. I was in finance but some of the conversations I overheard were interesting.

My favorite is "Longmire" because of the scenery - set in Wyoming but filmed in New Mexico. Gorgeous country and big horizons!

My SIL has 400 channels of sat TV and it's 98% crap. Don't quite understand that one.
Orion ST120, Meade AdventureScope ST80, Skywatcher 90mm Mak
Twilight 1 / Astro Devices encoders / Nexus II / Manfrotto 475B tripod / Stellarvue M1V / Skywatcher AZ5
Nikon Aculon 10x50 binos / US Navy 1944 Mark 30 7x50 binos
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

pakarinen wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:40 pm
Binge watching "Nurse Jackie", "Ripper Street", and "Longmire", all on Netflix.

Since I've worked at a couple of major medical centers here, "Jackie" is interesting. I was in finance but some of the conversations I overheard were interesting.

My favorite is "Longmire" because of the scenery - set in Wyoming but filmed in New Mexico. Gorgeous country and big horizons!

My SIL has 400 channels of sat TV and it's 98% crap. Don't quite understand that one.
I've traversed the Longmire series twice. Enjoyed Ripper Street too.
pakarinen
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

63 episodes or so of "Longmire" according to imdb.com. Joy!
Orion ST120, Meade AdventureScope ST80, Skywatcher 90mm Mak
Twilight 1 / Astro Devices encoders / Nexus II / Manfrotto 475B tripod / Stellarvue M1V / Skywatcher AZ5
Nikon Aculon 10x50 binos / US Navy 1944 Mark 30 7x50 binos
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

pakarinen wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:46 pm
63 episodes or so of "Longmire" according to imdb.com. Joy!
Except for the fact that it is set in WY it could qualify as nordic noir. :)
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Ylem wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:55 pm
I don't watch much TV, except for what my associate has on.

Unfortunately she likes all those darn real estate and home improvement shows.

I am watching Lovecraft Country as I mentioned in another thread 😸

I bet she has a long "honey-do" list that she reloads for you quite often, right Jeff? :lol:

Jeff's Associate: "Now that you have retiled the kitchen floor, I think we need the walls repainted!"

Jeff: "If you need me, I will be watching Lovecraft Country. Wait until there's a commercial, if you don't mind?" :lol:

Just teasin' my friend. ;)
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
Graeme1858

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Graeme1858 »

notFritzArgelander wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:04 pm
Is Shameless good? I generally like Wm H Macy's work as an actor but confess to being put off by the premise. Netflix thinks I'm going to love it though.

It's good at portraying the extremes of how dysfunctional, post Thatcher, unemployed, no hope, no future people behave on a city council estate. It's sometimes dark, grotesque and lewd but always really funny! Frank Gallagher is an alcoholic father of 9. Patrick Maguire is a drug dealer and the local hard man. There are a lot of characters that intermingle and develop as the kids age as the episodes progress.

I like it. Don't know anything about Macy's version though. If it's anything like the UK version and you're easily offended, best avoided.

Regards

Graeme
Miranda 10x50 Binoculars.
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Graeme1858 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:53 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:04 pm

It's good at portraying the extremes of how dysfunctional, post Thatcher, unemployed, no hope, no future people behave on a city council estate. It's sometimes dark, grotesque and lewd but always really funny! Frank Gallagher is an alcoholic father of 9. Patrick Maguire is a drug dealer and the local hard man. There are a lot of characters that intermingle and develop as the kids age as the episodes progress.

I like it. Don't know anything about Macy's version though. If it's anything like the UK version and you're easily offended, best avoided.

Regards

Graeme
Netflix isn't carrying the UK version but I've just watched a snippet of the pilot of the US incarnation and it looks promising. Thanks!
Refractordude
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Refractordude »

I don't watch TV anymore. I enjoy movies that I find on the internet. The only TV show I watched every week is In Living Color. Really fun show during my college days. You can find all the episodes on YouTube.

Telescopes: Celestron 150mm f/8 Refractor, Meade LX70 120mm f/8 Refractor, Vixen 70mm f/12.9 Refractor, Tasco 49N 50mm Red Refractor
Binoculars: Zhumell 20x80 Giant, Oberwerk LW 11x70, Levenhuk Sherman 7x50
Mounts: Orion SkyView Pro Equatorial, Orion Versago II Altazimuth, Farpoint Universal Parrallogram Mount, Orion Tritech II Fluid Head Tripod
Finders: GSO 8x50 Raci, Svbony Red Dot
Diagonals: GSO Dielectric 2", GSO Dielectric 1.25"
Eyepieces: GSO Superview 30mm, Astromania-Olivon 22mm, GSO Plossls 32mm/25mm/20mm, GSO 20mm Superview, Svbony 20mm/15mm/9mm/6mm, Svbony Aspheric 23mm/10mm/4mm, Agena Super Wide Angle 15mm, Few No Name Brand Ebay Plossls
KingClinton
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

Bit old fashioned I'm afraid.
Enjoying two detective shows, Agatha Raisin and The Murdoch mysteries.
Waiting for the new season of The Orville to get going.
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

Return to “Off-Topic”