What would you ask an astronomer?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects.
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

What would you ask an astronomer?

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Vanessa (Butterfly Maiden for those who do not know her yet) encouraged me to pose that question, in case anyone here at TSS might like to ask Chris Impey an astronomy question, to which I would ask him. And if I got a response, I would surely post it here.

Or you could watch the chat and ask him yourself. You would need the proper email address, or a You Tube account, so a heads up there.

Chris has a weekly live You Tube chat, and he answered my question and I didn't feel like he had any bit of arrogance, or anything like that. Someone asked him what space smells like. I was like :shock: :lol: He took the question seriously and respectfully.

You guys and girls here are brilliant, and I would love to hear if you have any questions. It would be fun I think.

I plan to watch him every time for the next few weeks, because I do learn things, as well as solidify what I already know.

Is anyone interested in asking Chris a question? I think he does a fine job explaining things to the audience imo.
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
Butterfly Maiden
Saturn Ambassador

Re: What would you ask an astronomer?

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Okay Eric, I'll start one off, but I don't know whether this would fall within his expertise though.

"If we found another habitable planet, that could be so far away it would take years to reach it, would some form of cryogenics be feasible to keep the bodies in stasis until arrival?"

Probably a bit far-fetched at the moment Eric, but just curious.
Vanessa
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Butterfly Maiden wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:08 am
Okay Eric, I'll start one off, but I don't know whether this would fall within his expertise though.

"If we found another habitable planet, that could be so far away it would take years to reach it, would some form of cryogenics be feasible to keep the bodies in stasis until arrival?"

Thanks Vanessa! I will certainly forward all questions by everyone who joins in. And I have watched him twice now, and he gets questions ranging from quasars, neutron stars, stars that might wipe us out (he very succinctly felt we are not in imminent danger, because any "nearby" candidates are not anywhere near the end of their life in the cosmos) nebulae, planets, the Moon, and questions like yours.

I am going to create a text file, so all I have to do is copy and paste. Then I will respond here with answers and time stamp so you can go right to it in the video if not watching the chat from the beginning.

About astronauts, the kitchen sink really. And he never rolls his eyes, or even jokes too much.

So no question is off limits from what I have seen.
~Eric
pakarinen
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

What's his opinion of cyclic ekpyrotic cosmology and why?
The lamp once out
Cool stars enter
The window frame.

~Soseki

Orion ST120, Meade AdventureScope ST80, Skywatcher 90mm Mak
Twilight 1 / Astro Devices encoders / Nexus II / Manfrotto 475B tripod / Stellarvue M1V / Skywatcher AZ5
Nikon Aculon 10x50 binos / US Navy 1944 Mark 30 7x50 binos
yobbo89
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

what happend to that darn star last weak :lol: , it just can't disapear out of thin air :eusa-whistle:

it's like the kgb pulling up in a mini van during the middle of the night .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"trust tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow ,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel

Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

pakarinen wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:45 am
I have not a clue what that is, but I will post it. :lol: Thanks, pakarinen.
~Eric
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

yobbo89 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:55 am
what happend to that darn star last weak :lol: , it just can't disapear out of thin air :eusa-whistle:

Yobbo, which star?
~Eric
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Butterfly Maiden wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:08 am

That doesn't seem far-fetched to me actually. But hey, what do I know? :lol:
~Eric
yobbo89
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Buckethead 2.0 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:19 pm
yobbo89 wrote:

Yobbo, which star?
PHL 293B
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"trust tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow ,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel

goldstar
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by goldstar »

When was the last time you looked through a telescope and what did you see?
Scopes: 200mm f6 DOB:CR 6 150 mm f 7.5 refractor, SW ED 80 mm f 7.5. 2 X 80 mm f7.5 guides.
Mount: AVX.
NexGuide auto guider. Cameras 3 Ti and XS modded. I optron Skytracker.
Motley EP collection.
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

yobbo89 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:23 pm
Buckethead 2.0 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:19 pm
yobbo89 wrote:

Yobbo, which star?
PHL 293B
Gotcha, I have added the question to the list.
~Eric
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Everyone, a little heads up is warranted...there are a lot of questions in each chat, so I will keep posting your questions, and if I don't get a response, I will try until I do. He usually averages about 30 or so in the one hour that it runs. I will try again the following week if he doesn't get to your question.
~Eric
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

goldstar wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:15 pm
When was the last time you looked through a telescope and what did you see?
A reasonable question, added! Thank you. :D
~Eric
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Mine is going to be, "among the many innovative technologies aboard the James-Webb Space Telescope, which will be the most groundbreaking in our understanding of the furthest reaches of the universe?"

And "do you like Oreos?" :lol: just kidding !
~Eric
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

pakarinen wrote:
chasmanian has been asking repeatedly about Einstein-Cartan gravity and has received crickets in response. ;)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
GCoyote
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

I just ask you folks. You haven't let me down yet.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

notFritzArgelander wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:55 pm
pakarinen wrote:
chasmanian has been asking repeatedly about Einstein-Cartan gravity and has received crickets in response. ;)

Kind of sounds like some questions were to be ignored if raised. Maybe he does not want to address it for some reason.
~Eric
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Buckethead 2.0 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:26 am
pakarinen wrote:

Kind of sounds like some questions were to be ignored if raised. Maybe he does not want to address it for some reason.
Einstein-Cartan gravity is highly specialized and mathematically difficult. It is out of fashion in the US and only pursued by folks in central and eastern Europe.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:33 am
Buckethead 2.0 wrote:

Einstein-Cartan gravity is highly specialized and mathematically difficult. It is out of fashion in the US and only pursued by folks in central and eastern Europe.

Ah! He is a western European (British). Fritz, regarding pakarinen's phrase that you quoted, is the Einstein-Cartan gravity thing related in any way with cyclic ekpyrotic cosmology ?
~Eric
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Buckethead 2.0 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:26 am
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:33 am
Buckethead 2.0 wrote:

Ah! He is a western European (British). Fritz, regarding pakarinen's phrase that you quoted, is the Einstein-Cartan gravity thing related in any way with cyclic ekpyrotic cosmology ?
Cyclic ekpyriotic cosmology and Einstein Cartan cosmology are similar only in the cyclic aspect. Both have no Big Bang but rather a series of Big Bounces. So both have no need for inflation or an inflaton particle.

Apart from that superficial similarity they are fundamentally different conceptually,

Cyclic ekpyriotic cosmology is based on ideas from string theory and M theory and thus needs supersymmetry (SUSY) to be valid. The absence of SUSY particles at the LHC is an embarrassment for its fans.

Einstein Cartan is compatible with all previous experiments in General Relativity and can work with the Standard Model of particle physics as well as string theory.

Return to “Off-Topic”