Stay home order for California

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects.
Buckethead 2.0
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

gregl wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:55 pm
Some positive things: My daughter, who homeschools five adopted kids with special needs and cooks most everything from scratch including baked goods, and who still finds time to do an hour workout daily, is going to pick up some donated fabric from a local fabric store and make masks.

And a local news story told of a woman with kids who was limited to two jugs of milk when she needed four. The clerk set two of the four aside to return to the cooler. A scruffy guy back in line said he'd buy them, and then he gave them to the woman and wouldn't let her pay him for them.

So while the news can seem negative, there are good people out there who try to do the right thing.
First, I'd like to say you raised a great daughter! Second, that's the kind of news I can get more used to seeing!
~Eric
DEnc
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

A few days ago a story was published about some people who’ll make difference with COVID-19. They’ve developed an antibody test for the virus, which would support much wider testing than the RT-PCR tests. They’re rolling out their testing in their home town of Telluride, CO, offering free tests to any who volunteer.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... ty/608590/

I’m reminded of two people who worked in the vaccine business of AHP/Wyeth. Both were fact-based experts who knew their business well and who made a difference in difficult times in the past.

The first was involved in formulating the injectable polio virus vaccine. He got around with a cane because of partial paralysis from a childhood polio infection. It was personal for him, and the vaccine worked very well. I like to think that the success of the vaccine was especially satisfying for him.

The second was a lead statistician working on clinical trials. His hobby was betting on the ponies, and he had to be careful to moderate his habit so that his winnings didn’t impact his taxes. That’s the kind of statistician you want working on your trials!

Good things are happening at so many levels, but they're easy to overlook in our information-overloaded culture.
pakarinen
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

I think that one has to consider the media's love of gloom and doom. Not to minimize this but, "If it bleeds, it leads". Or, as some forgotten psychologist called it, "Ain't it awful?"

I go to CDC and a couple of hopefully reputable health statistics sites if I want to get something beyond the Titanic mentality. It's grim, but maybe not quite as bad as portrayed in the mainstream media.

And I'm considering painting lamb's blood around my doors. :think:
Olen Suomalainen!

Orion ST120, Meade AdventureScope ST80, Skywatcher 90mm Mak
Twilight 1 / Astro Devices encoders / Nexus II / Manfrotto 475B tripod
Nikon Aculon 10x50 binos
Buckethead 2.0
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

pakarinen wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:49 pm
I think that one has to consider the media's love of gloom and doom. Not to minimize this but, "If it bleeds, it leads". Or, as some forgotten psychologist called it, "Ain't it awful?"

I go to CDC and a couple of hopefully reputable health statistics sites if I want to get something beyond the Titanic mentality. It's grim, but maybe not quite as bad as portrayed in the mainstream media.

Now THAT'S an idea! :lol:
~Eric
helicon
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Just received word that my Instacart order from the local supermarket - everything is out of stock. I will be receiving 4 onions, though! :lol:
-Michael
Various scopes, 10" Zhumell Dob, ES AR152, AWB 5.1" Onesky newt, Oberwerk 25x100 binos, two eyeballs
pakarinen
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

Onions are good. You can saute them, fry 'em, add them to chicken stock, or eat 'em raw like an apple. (Well, ok, the only person I've ever seen eat them raw was an old guy from Poland - I think they might have been a staple in his village with potatoes.)
Olen Suomalainen!

Nikon Aculon 10x50 binos
Buckethead 2.0
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

helicon wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:50 pm
Just received word that my Instacart order from the local supermarket - everything is out of stock. I will be receiving 4 onions, though! :lol:
If you have a way to fry them....tons of onion rings!!! Yeeeaaaahhhhh!!
~Eric
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

pakarinen wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:25 pm
Onions are good. You can saute them, fry 'em, add them to chicken stock, or eat 'em raw like an apple. (Well, ok, the only person I've ever seen eat them raw was an old guy from Poland - I think they might have been a staple in his village with potatoes.)
My grandfather used to eat a sandwich consisting of ordinary white (or rye) bread thickly spread with butter and sliced raw onions. I think he did it for two reasons. He actually liked it and it really annoyed my grandmother. ;)
Scopes: Refractors: Orion ST80, SV ED80 A f7; Newtonians: Z12 f5; Catadioptrics: VMC110L, Intes MK66. EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
Bigzmey
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

pakarinen wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:49 pm

Agree, the media drives peoples' anxiety through the roof, and to relieve it they do mad runs on stores or beaches.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102 ED F7; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD F10, 8" SCT F10, 6" SCT F10, Omni XLT 150R Achro F5, Onyx 80ED F6.3; Meade: 80ST Achro F5.
Mounts: ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: Orion: Little Giant II 15x70, WorldView 10x50, Nikon: Action EX 16x50 & 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68s; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV; Russell Optics: SuperPlossls.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS silver mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S; Astronomik: UHC, Orion: UltraBlock, SkyGlow.
Observing: DSOs: 1694 (Completed: M110, H1, H2. In progress: H3: 195, H2,500: 1272, S110: 77). Doubles: 1207, Comets: 15, Asteroids: 73
Buckethead 2.0
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

notFritzArgelander wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:02 pm
pakarinen wrote:
My grandfather used to eat a sandwich consisting of ordinary white (or rye) bread thickly spread with butter and sliced raw onions. I think he did it for two reasons. He actually liked it and it really annoyed my grandmother. ;)
I see a genetic connection, my friend. :lol:
~Eric
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Buckethead 2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:12 pm
pakarinen wrote:
The degree to which I am annoying is more from my Mother. She introduced me to Plato's Socratic dialogues at too early an age. If I thought the unexamined life was worth living I would make an Apology. :lol: So far no hemlock so it's good. ;)
Scopes: Refractors: Orion ST80, SV ED80 A f7; Newtonians: Z12 f5; Catadioptrics: VMC110L, Intes MK66. EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
Buckethead 2.0
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

:sprefac:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:26 pm
Buckethead 2.0 wrote:

The degree to which I am annoying is more from my Mother. She introduced me to Plato's Socratic dialogues at too early an age. If I thought the unexamined life was worth living I would make an Apology. :lol: So far no hemlock so it's good. ;)
This explains so much! No wonder you have an approach such as you do on any one subject. I discovered philosophy and mythology from reading about Jim Morrison of the Doors, and his sources of inspiration. Kerouac, Blake, etc.

So, I would say you too, by you being you have inspired me to examine my life. .....well that took all of 2 seconds! :lol:
~Eric
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Buckethead 2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:46 pm
Buckethead 2.0 wrote:

This explains so much! No wonder you have an approach such as you do on any one subject. I discovered philosophy and mythology from reading about Jim Morrison of the Doors, and his sources of inspiration. Kerouac, Blake, etc.

So, I would say you too, by you being you have inspired me to examine my life. .....well that took all of 2 seconds! :lol:
I'm sure you are kidding, unless you have a 2 second time limit! :)

My Mother's Father had the onion sandwiches and he had converted to being Lutheran from Mennonite at my grandmother's insistence. So Mom always was flexible about religious matters: religion was always a matter of individual exploration. This was also the musical side of the family.

My father was the techie and his father is responsible for my early experiments in chemistry and optics and my first scope at 5 years age. This side of the family was Catholic and more dogmatic in approach to religion.

So we had to navigate the Scylla of Reformation and the Charibdis of Inquisition daily! A fun ride. :)
Buckethead 2.0
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:03 pm
Buckethead 2.0 wrote:

My Mother's Father had the onion sandwiches and he had converted to being Lutheran from Mennonite at my grandmother's insistence. So Mom always was flexible about religious matters: religion was always a matter of individual exploration. This was also the musical side of the family.

My father was the techie and his father is responsible for my early experiments in chemistry and optics and my first scope at 5 years age. This side of the family was Catholic and more dogmatic in approach to religion.

So we had to navigate the Scylla of Reformation and the Charibdis of Inquisition daily! A fun ride. :)
My 2 second reference was in terms of an egg timer. I base everything in my life on the scale of an egg timer.
:lol:

My mom was Protestant, my dad was agnostic. I gas I'm prognostic.
~Eric
Buckethead 2.0
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Lol typos, I meant guess hahaha
~Eric
notFritzArgelander
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Buckethead 2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:19 pm
Buckethead 2.0 wrote:

My 2 second reference was in terms of an egg timer. I base everything in my life on the scale of an egg timer.

Hmm.... a 2 second egg is VERY runny... Did you mean 2 minute? :)

If you are prognostic are you pro Gnostic? Or do you just do prognostications? ;)
Buckethead 2.0
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:29 pm
Buckethead 2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:19 pm

Hmm.... a 2 second egg is VERY runny... Did you mean 2 minute? :)

If you are prognostic are you pro Gnostic? Or do you just do prognostications? ;)
You know math, Fritz. But I will equate it like this: 2 seconds of a 2 minute egg timer setting, is how I feel that my life has significance in the universal egg timer mind.

Regarding the rest. I'm neither pro- or anti- pro gnos. I'd say I'm pro gyros.
~Eric
pakarinen
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

Buckethead 2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:33 pm
Regarding the rest. I'm neither pro- or anti- pro gnos. I'd say I'm pro gyros.

I lean more toward souvlaki, but nothing like a good gyro with plenty of tzatziki.
Olen Suomalainen!

Nikon Aculon 10x50 binos
Buckethead 2.0
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Baklava! I love trying to say it. :lol: I once ordered some Baklava "squares" from a Greek restaurant. The cashier said abruptly! "They're TRIANGLEs!" Lol

Jeeezz Louise! Lets just get uptight, shall we?!? :lol:
~Eric
Refractordude
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Refractordude »

Prince Charles is staying home. He has the coronavirus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5-PftiIDd4
Telescopes: Meade LX70 120mm f/8 Refractor, Vixen 70mm f/12.9 Refractor, Tasco 49N 50mm Red Refractor
Binoculars: Zhumell 20x80 Giant, Levenhuk Sherman 7x50
Mounts: Orion SkyView Pro Equatorial, Orion Versago II Altazimuth, Farpoint Universal Parrallogram Mount
Finders: GSO 8x50 Raci, Svbony Red Dot
Diagonals: GSO Dielectric 2", GSO Dielectric 1.25"
Eyepieces: GSO Plossls 32mm/25mm/20mm, GSO 20mm Superview, Svbony 20mm/15mm/9mm/6mm, Svbony Aspheric 23mm/10mm/4mm, Agena Super Wide Angle 15mm, Few No Name Brand Ebay Plossls

Return to “Off-Topic”