Articles: 0

Frankenstein Meets His Bride

Post by Refractordude » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:55 am

Markmjm
Mars Ambassador

Re: Frankenstein Meets His Bride

Post by Markmjm » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:42 am

Some of those old time movies are great. Just goes to show, that you don't need a lot of cgi to make a good movie. 😊
Refractordude
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Refractordude » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:54 pm

Markmjm wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:42 am
Some of those old time movies are great. Just goes to show, that you don't need a lot of cgi to make a good movie. 😊
Human creativity is best with out CGI, like a good screen play. "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf"1966 is a perfect example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWgIOb_U2Hc
Attachments
virginia.PNG
virginia.PNG (135.98 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Makuser
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Makuser » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi Refractordude and all. As an old time movie fan, i love these classic movies. Here is something that you may not know. The role of "the monster" was later taken over by Glenn Strange for the remainder of the productions. And, he later played as the bartender "Sam" in the old Gunsmoke TV series.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Strange
Enjoy. I love the old movies and TV series.
- Marshall
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI120MC camera.
>)))))*>
515bonner
Earth Ambassador

Post by 515bonner » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:10 pm

Last week we attended a performance of Phantom of the Opera (the silent film version by Carl Laemmle Jr.) starring Lon Chaney Sr. The film was accompanied by world famous organist Dorothy Papadokus on the Helzberg Organ at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts (https://www.kauffmancenter.org/the-center/). I've seen the movie countless times but her organ accompaniment with it was outstanding. She did impromtu playing watching a small monitor on the organ, while the rest of us saw it on a enormous video screen. Next year is Dr. Jeckle & Mr Hyde...I intend to be there for that also, just to hear her play.
14.5" Starmaster; 9.25" Celestron; 8" Starmaster; 6" Orion Mak; 4" Celestron Refractor (Vixen)
iOptron CEM40; iOptron Cube Pro
ZWOASI120MM-s; ZWOASI290MC
Multitude of TeleVue and UO Konig II eyepieces
Makuser
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Makuser » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:12 am

Hi Refractordude and all. Here is an older post of mine that I pulled from the old forum for you old time movie fans about Dracula, although Halloween is now past.
This is vy ve like the refractor telescopes:
The Great Bela.jpg
Anything else is a reflection in the mirror on your part.
And, don't forget Bela Lagosi's lookalike, Oscar Homolka from Alfred Hitchcock's Sabotage Movie (1936):
Oscar Homolka.jpg
Oscar Homolka.jpg (8.89 KiB) Viewed 143 times
They were both from the Austro-Hungaria (or Austria-Hungary) Transleithania (or Transylvania) region, and had the same accent and mannerisms. Hollywood missed a great opportunity to make a "Dracula Brothers" movie at the time, but they worked for different studios.
I hope that you enjoy the old movies and trivia as much as I do, and the best of regards.
- Marshall
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Markmjm
Mars Ambassador

Post by Markmjm » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:38 am

Makuser wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:47 pm
Hi Refractordude and all. As an old time movie fan, i love these classic movies. Here is something that you may not know. The role of "the monster" was later taken over by Glenn Strange for the remainder of the productions. And, he later played as the bartender "Sam" in the old Gunsmoke TV series.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Strange
Enjoy. I love the old movies and TV series.
I did not know that. Thanks for posting. 😊
Markmjm
Mars Ambassador

Post by Markmjm » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:42 am

515bonner wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:10 pm
Last week we attended a performance of Phantom of the Opera (the silent film version by Carl Laemmle Jr.) starring Lon Chaney Sr. The film was accompanied by world famous organist Dorothy Papadokus on the Helzberg Organ at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts (https://www.kauffmancenter.org/the-center/). I've seen the movie countless times but her organ accompaniment with it was outstanding. She did impromtu playing watching a small monitor on the organ, while the rest of us saw it on a enormous video screen. Next year is Dr. Jeckle & Mr Hyde...I intend to be there for that also, just to hear her play.
Hmmm, I don't know that organist. I'm going to have to look her up. I love that silent version of the movie.
notFritzArgelander
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:46 am

Markmjm wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:42 am
515bonner wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:10 pm
Hmmm, I don't know that organist. I'm going to have to look her up. I love that silent version of the movie.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Papadakos
Scopes: Refractors: Orion ST80, SV ED80 A f7; Newtonians: Z12 f5; Catadioptrics: VMC110L, Intes MK66. EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
Refractordude
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Refractordude » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:47 am

Makuser wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:12 am
Hi Refractordude and all. Here is an older post of mine that I pulled from the old forum for you old time movie fans about Dracula, although Halloween is now past.
This is vy ve like the refractor telescopes:
The Great Bela.jpg
Anything else is a reflection in the mirror on your part.
And, don't forget Bela Lagosi's lookalike, Oscar Homolka from Alfred Hitchcock's Sabotage Movie (1936):
Oscar Homolka.jpg
They were both from the Austro-Hungaria (or Austria-Hungary) Transleithania (or Transylvania) region, and had the same accent and mannerisms. Hollywood missed a great opportunity to make a "Dracula Brothers" movie at the time, but they worked for different studios.
I hope that you enjoy the old movies and trivia as much as I do, and the best of regards.
Hollywood missed the opportunity to make a Dracula brothers movie, but not the first African American Dracula. The movie trailer is great. The movie is even better. The sequel "Scream Blacula Scream" was a dud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKgcLOOW-3Y
Attachments
dracula.PNG

Return to “Off-Topic”