Any NASA/JPL Ambassadors here?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects.
OBXgirl
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Any NASA/JPL Ambassadors here?

Post by OBXgirl » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:39 pm

Just an idea. If we have any other Solar System Ambassadors here, perhaps we can join together and ask Admins if we can have a section to post Events and Topics.
I think it would boil down to how many of us are here and whether the information would apply to a large base geographically to make it a resource for the Group.

Lisa
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. Sarah Williams

Star Dad
Mars Ambassador

Re: Any NASA/JPL Ambassadors here?

Post by Star Dad » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:40 pm

I am. Eastern CT. The * only * one* ;D
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC
OBXgirl
Mars Ambassador

Post by OBXgirl » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:49 pm

Star Dad wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:40 pm
I am. Eastern CT. The * only * one* ;D
Eastern NC here, was the only one, but we have finally gotten a second one in a nearby area. Let's hope we have more here. What do you think of the idea of a section for posting Events, if we get a few more SSAs?

Lisa

Star Dad
Mars Ambassador

Post by Star Dad » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:16 pm

Well, that's OK by me. I do a *lot* of outreach. This summer in particular with JPL promoting SSA for libraries "Universe of Stories" I've been booked nearly every day. The season is finally ending for me tomorrow night. YAY! I *love* doing outreach but this was a bit overwhelming. Funny thing though, my own local library did not promote it. :( Usually I do more for the Girl Scouts and, of course, those are closed to the public at large.

Last night at the Canterbury Library we had a fellow show up from Stamford - about a 2 hour drive... and the sky was pretty clouded over. Eventually the audience got to see the Moon up close, Jupiter and Saturn, though the views of all of them were pretty bad because of the clouds. But we can't do much about the weather - yet. ;*D

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC
OBXgirl
Mars Ambassador

Post by OBXgirl » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:00 pm

Star Dad,
I can relate...just barely survived July. I work mainly with State and National Parks. It was a shocker dealing with Libraries...had to walk one through ways to publicize the Event. You'd think they'd have that part down pat.

I know there were a number on the AF site, here's hoping they migrate over.

Unitron48
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Unitron48 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:26 pm

I'm aware of the program, but what are your responsibilities?

By the way, I run an astronomy program through the local Culpeper County library. Consists of monthly astronomy/space related presentations with an observing session if sky conditions permit...and a monthly observing session at a privately owned observatory (that hosts a 30 inch Obsession).

Dave
Unitron Refractors (60mm, 75mm, 102mm, 125mm), Brandon 94, Zeiss T-1, Stellarvue SV110ED
OBXgirl
Mars Ambassador

Post by OBXgirl » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:25 pm

Unitron48 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:26 pm
I'm aware of the program, but what are your responsibilities?

By the way, I run an astronomy program through the local Culpeper County library. Consists of monthly astronomy/space related presentations with an observing session if sky conditions permit...and a monthly observing session at a privately owned observatory (that hosts a 30 inch Obsession).

Dave
Hey Dave,
It's a great Volunteer Program with NASA/JPL. We basically do what you're already doing, but with the backing of NASA and its different programs. Tons of resources. The application process is next month. You should check it out. The application will go live in September.
https://solarsystem1.jpl.nasa.gov/ssa/home.cfm

Lisa

Unitron48
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Unitron48 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:38 pm

OBXgirl wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:25 pm
Hey Dave,
It's a great Volunteer Program with NASA/JPL. We basically do what you're already doing, but with the backing of NASA and its different programs. Tons of resources. The application process is next month. You should check it out. The application will go live in September.
https://solarsystem1.jpl.nasa.gov/ssa/home.cfm

Lisa
Hate to be a bother with more questions, but are the events set up for you, what's the frequency? Right now in addition to the Culpeper program, I'm involved in supporting outreach at a number of schools including the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD. I really like the opportunity to get additional resources, but may be tapped out in number of events.

Dave
Unitron Refractors (60mm, 75mm, 102mm, 125mm), Brandon 94, Zeiss T-1, Stellarvue SV110ED
OBXgirl
Mars Ambassador

Post by OBXgirl » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:13 am

Dave, they only require 4 Events per year. It sounds like what you're doing already would qualify..but you'd have lots of cool swag to hand out and tons of resources and information to draw from. They give you opportunities for lots of additional training and my favorite part is you're talking with the experts. Was on a phone conference last week with Dr. Illingworth and was "fangirling" so hard I couldn't speak.
I can't say enough good things about the Program.
Lisa

OhNo
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by OhNo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:48 am

Interesting program, will read more about it... See there is only one SSA up here is frozen Canada, he is on the West Coast. Thanks for the link.

Brent
8" SW Quattro/C8/ST80/ST120...
Canon 1100D/Atik Infinity/ZWO ASI120MM
CGEM on Pier
OBXgirl
Mars Ambassador

Post by OBXgirl » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:04 am

Brent..it's a great program...hope you apply next month.

Lisa

Unitron48
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Unitron48 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:17 am

OBXgirl wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:13 am
Dave, they only require 4 Events per year. It sounds like what you're doing already would qualify..but you'd have lots of cool swag to hand out and tons of resources and information to draw from. They give you opportunities for lots of additional training and my favorite part is you're talking with the experts. Was on a phone conference last week with Dr. Illingworth and was "fangirling" so hard I couldn't speak.
Lisa
Thanks for all the info, Lisa. There appear to be many already in Virginia, but I might have to give it a shot!

Dave
OBXgirl
Mars Ambassador

Post by OBXgirl » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:39 am

Unitron48 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:17 am
OBXgirl wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:13 am
Lisa
Thanks for all the info, Lisa. There appear to be many already in Virginia, but I might have to give it a shot!

Dave
Dave,
I'd go for it..

Lisa

Star Dad
Mars Ambassador

Post by Star Dad » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:44 pm

We have a couple of SSAs near where I do some programs and have asked them to help on occasion. None have helped me. Two of them flat out told me they don't do outreach or telescope observing. One had medical problems and couldn't help. So just because there are several in the area - don't let that stop you. Some of the SSAs only do very specific programs in very specific venues.

I'll echo Lisa - those telecons we get to be on are VERY informative and you can take the slide shows and extract what you want to make your own presentations. I've had to revise my programs several times with new information that "just came in". There is only the one month to apply. I learned my fate in December - so it wasn't too long a wait - but I know I drove the wife crazy during that waiting period. I'm now in my second year and do love the support we get. They are even creating an online store for us. I'd love it if they could get some of the Lego sets at a discount - Sorry, $141.00 for the Lunar Excursion module is asking too much, IMHO.

OBXgirl
Mars Ambassador

Post by OBXgirl » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:48 am

Star Dad,
Are you on the SSA FB page? Someone had a model of the new SLS, with cotton below it and LED lights with rocket booster sounds..it was awesome. If I was ever gonna do a model setup, that would be the one. The other SSA in my Club did the lego thing..looks cool, but for another 100 bucks you could get the set up I just described.

Lisa

Star Dad
Mars Ambassador

Post by Star Dad » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:28 pm

No - didn't know there was a FB page - but then I've only joined FB a couple of months ago. I recently built the Lego rover. At a girl scout bridging up ceremony I displayed it - and a high school girl asked me why the little man was standing on the rover. (I intentionally put HER there). I asked the girl why she assumed it was a man. That befuddled her. <chuckle> I also built a model of the Lego shuttle and a "real" model of the shuttle/launch vehicle. Neither is spectacular, but the Lego International Space Station is pretty good and not too bad to transport.

Ylem
Pluto Ambassador

Post by Ylem » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:08 am

My club in Charlotte has a few, sadly I haven't been to a meeting in awhile because of my wife's health.

Got to get up there and spread the word about this new forum ;)
A bunch of SCTs and MCTs scattered around the house and an Orion ST80.
A big box of Plossls :D

Clear Skies,
Jeff :mrgreen:
OBXgirl
Mars Ambassador

Post by OBXgirl » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:23 am

Star Dad wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:28 pm
No - didn't know there was a FB page - but then I've only joined FB a couple of months ago. I recently built the Lego rover. At a girl scout bridging up ceremony I displayed it - and a high school girl asked me why the little man was standing on the rover. (I intentionally put HER there). I asked the girl why she assumed it was a man. That befuddled her. <chuckle> I also built a model of the Lego shuttle and a "real" model of the shuttle/launch vehicle. Neither is spectacular, but the Lego International Space Station is pretty good and not too bad to transport.
Just email Heather or Kay and they will hook you up...nice place for resources and blowing off steam. I will see if I can find a picture of the model set up, you can probably scale it and get the same effect.

OBXgirl
Mars Ambassador

Post by OBXgirl » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:25 am

Ylem wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:08 am
My club in Charlotte has a few, sadly I haven't been to a meeting in awhile because of my wife's health.

Got to get up there and spread the word about this new forum ;)
I've met some members of your Club. They were volunteering at Cape Lookout. I'm sorry to hear of your wife's situation. Hope things improve soon.

Lisa

avid.astronomer
Moon Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by avid.astronomer » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:21 am

I'm an SSA located in College Station, TX. There are 3 of us here in this town, although most of the time, we work separate events due to differing schedules.
Tom Campbell (astro.tomandjul.com)
SCOPES: Zhumell Z12 f/5 (Zoomie), Discovery DHQ-8 f/6, Meade DS-2080AT 80 f/10, Meade AS80 f/5 (Cutie)
BINOS: 10x50, 16x50, 10x70
1,124 Observations, 603 Objects (97 Glxy, 185 OC, 58 GC, 17 Neb, 39 PN, 171 Dbl)
AL Awards: Messier, Double Star, Bino Messier, Planetary Transit

Return to “Off-Topic”