Infinity and Beyond Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: New Dune movie

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:57 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:24 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:29 pm

Do you like the LOTR books then? I feel the Jackson LOTR movies are true to the books as much as movie can be. The Hobbit however is a whole different story. :lol:
I'm not a big fan of the books, no, I'm afraid. There were pleasurable moments.
If you don't like the books much how you are going to like the movies? :) Tell me if I am wrong, but I can't recall a movie which came out better than the book it based on.
In much the same way, in fact. Character development and storytelling was interesting and the battle scenes put me to sleep. :)

As far as movies not being as good as the books, it's true as a statistical generalization. But I can think of two examples that run counter to the trend. 1) The Millennium movies, (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, etc.) in the Swedish production are better than the books. I've repeated them more than the books. 2) The Expanse franchise is better on video too, I think. In the case of the LOTR movies, I watched with no expectation as it was a family mandated activity: "You haven't seen it?! You gotta!"
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
chris_g
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:56 pm Dune Part I was released in Europe already and coming to US next week. I will likely wait to see it until they release part II, since the first movie only covers half of the first Dune novel.

I hope they did it right. Epic book deserves an epic adaptation.
I'll wait too. I loved the books!
Backyard Bortle scale 7 32.40874, -93.66932
Mounts : Sky Watcher EQ6-R Pro,
Scopes : Sky Watcher ED80 APO Doublet w/ED80 Reducer Corrector 0.85x
Guide Scope : Orion 60mm Multi-Use Guide Scope w/12.5mm illuminated reticle
Finder Scopes : Baader Planetarium Sky Surfer III Red Dot, Sky Watcher 8x50mm Viewfinder
Eyepieces : Plossl 1.25" 25mm LE, 1.25" 5mm LE, Hyperion Modular 1.25/2.0" EP Set - 5mm, 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 17mm, 21mm, 24mm
Cameras : Canon T3i, 18-55mm F3.5 to 5.6, 28-135mm F/3.5 to 5.6, Nifty Fifty F/1.8, ZWO ASI120MM Mini, Samsung Note 20 Ultra, 7mm, F/1.8
Filters: ZWO EFW Mini, 5 position filter wheel, Optalong L Pro Canon EOS C
Bigzmey
Articles: 6

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:41 am
notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:24 pm

I'm not a big fan of the books, no, I'm afraid. There were pleasurable moments.
If you don't like the books much how you are going to like the movies? :) Tell me if I am wrong, but I can't recall a movie which came out better than the book it based on.
In much the same way, in fact. Character development and storytelling was interesting and the battle scenes put me to sleep. :)

As far as movies not being as good as the books, it's true as a statistical generalization. But I can think of two examples that run counter to the trend. 1) The Millennium movies, (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, etc.) in the Swedish production are better than the books. I've repeated them more than the books. 2) The Expanse franchise is better on video too, I think. In the case of the LOTR movies, I watched with no expectation as it was a family mandated activity: "You haven't seen it?! You gotta!"
In case of The Expanse this is likely because the books are written in descriptive, script-like language. With well-made and not overwhelming visual effects the video does come across nicely. I guess in this case if you don't read books you don't loose that much.

I have not seen or read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, maybe I should. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102 ED F7; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD F10, 8" SCT F10, Omni XLT 150R Achro F5, Onyx 80ED F6.3; Meade: 80ST Achro F5.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar; Farpoint: UBM.
Binos: Celestron (Vixen) Giant 20x80; Orion: Binoviewers, Little Giant II 15x70, WorldView 10x50, Nikon: Action EX 16x50 & 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & 2xXFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: 2xSLVs; Baader: 2xBCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV, Meade: Plossls.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS silver mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: Positive lock prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC, Orion: UltraBlock.
Observing: DSOs: 2385 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 1888, S110: 77). Doubles: 1494, Comets: 21, Asteroids: 98
KingNothing13

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

The new Dune movie will be hitting HBO Max at the same time as it hits theaters in the US: 10.22, I will definitely check it out when it does.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

bobharmony
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Do you like the LOTR books then? I feel the Jackson LOTR movies are true to the books as much as movie can be. The Hobbit however is a whole different story. :lol:
Loved the books when I read them as a teenager and still do. I think it was about the same time as I read Dune for the first time. Overall I think Jackson paid them homage very well. I missed Tom Bombadil, of course.

I'm not sure who was possessed of the idea to make The Hobbit a trilogy. They were brutal to sit through, and where did that whole Legolas arc come from? I guess they just had too much time to fill. LOTR was too short (even the Directors cut) and the Hobbit was much too long!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

notFritzArgelander

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:04 am
notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:41 am

In case of The Expanse this is likely because the books are written in descriptive, script-like language. With well-made and not overwhelming visual effects the video does come across nicely. I guess in this case if you don't read books you don't loose that much.

I have not seen or read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, maybe I should. :D
I have a thing for dark, dark mystery stories. I read the books once (twice for the original author who died youngish). But have watched the Swedish produced movies 3-4 times and the US production once (though it does have Daniel Craig). If you have a strong stomach for indelicacies it's highly recommended.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
notFritzArgelander

TSS Awards Badges

KingNothing13 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:30 am The new Dune movie will be hitting HBO Max at the same time as it hits theaters in the US: 10.22, I will definitely check it out when it does.
Please report back. :)
Bigzmey
Articles: 6

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

bobharmony wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:10 am
Loved the books when I read them as a teenager and still do. I think it was about the same time as I read Dune for the first time. Overall I think Jackson paid them homage very well. I missed Tom Bombadil, of course.

I'm not sure who was possessed of the idea to make The Hobbit a trilogy. They were brutal to sit through, and where did that whole Legolas arc come from? I guess they just had too much time to fill. LOTR was too short (even the Directors cut) and the Hobbit was much too long!

Bob
The producers were "Man, we should have made 9 LOTR movies! Oh well, let's at least milk Hobbit as much as we can!" :lol:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102 ED F7; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD F10, 8" SCT F10, Omni XLT 150R Achro F5, Onyx 80ED F6.3; Meade: 80ST Achro F5.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar; Farpoint: UBM.
Binos: Celestron (Vixen) Giant 20x80; Orion: Binoviewers, Little Giant II 15x70, WorldView 10x50, Nikon: Action EX 16x50 & 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & 2xXFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: 2xSLVs; Baader: 2xBCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV, Meade: Plossls.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS silver mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: Positive lock prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC, Orion: UltraBlock.
Observing: DSOs: 2385 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 1888, S110: 77). Doubles: 1494, Comets: 21, Asteroids: 98

Return to “Off-Topic”