What have you been up to lately?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects.
Thefatkitty
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: What have you been up to lately?

Post by Thefatkitty »

About a year ago now I was working for another company and was in between the towns of Ayr and Paris here in Ontario; not Europe :lol: I remembered seeing a place that I thought might be good for a dark sky site that's only a one hour and change drive from here.
Life and then Covid got in the way of all that, but it's always been in the back of my mind to go back and check it out more thoroughly.
Today (Sundays) I go to take the Sunny the dog for a walk for an elderly couple whom I got to be great friends with through my "another company". My Sunny Sundays. One time while seeing her I even saw and photographed a sundog. A sundog on a Sunny Sunday; what are the odds??

This morning I woke up at just after 5AM. Sarah (my daughter) had just woken up as well, so after a short discussion, off we went to check out Dad's future site, stop for breakfast.. it was so foggy; I had the windshield wipers on just for that. It cleared up after 9AM, and we went to see Sunny. After her walk and some quality time with her owners, we left and got back home at 2PM.

My possible future site:
DSS.jpg

Took this after we stopped for breakfast at about 7:30:
morning.jpg

Took this out the window of the truck on the way to see Sunny:
sky.jpg

And Sunny sniffing everything :lol:
Sunny_Walk.jpg

That was my day :D Now all I have to do is get up for work tomorrow..!!

Have a good night all,
pakarinen
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

In the muck for sure. Don't know yet how much is fog vs haze vs cloud vs smoke plume. Looks like my planned dark site trip will be postponed.
IMG-8864.jpg
Orion ST120, Meade AdventureScope ST80, Skywatcher 90mm Mak
Twilight 1 / Astro Devices encoders / Nexus II / Manfrotto 475B tripod / Stellarvue M1V / Skywatcher AZ5
Nikon Aculon 10x50 binos / US Navy 1944 Mark 30 7x50 binos
UlteriorModem
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

I'm going to start building an ARK!

Imagewx by Tom Whit, on Flickr
Tom

Current Equipment:
Scope: 130mm APO triplet atop a CGX-L mount
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
UlteriorModem
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Day 2

ImageWX2 by Tom Whit, on Flickr
Tom

Current Equipment:
Lady Fraktor
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I just finished three days at Pannonia Ring in Hungary.
A lot of fun :)
Proper Telescopes: Antares 105 f/15, Bresser 102 f/13.2, Celestron 150 f/8, Stellarvue NHNGDX 80 f/6.9, TAL 100RS f/10, TS 102 f/11, UR 70 f/10, Vixen ED115s f/7.7
Mounts: Berlebach Planet w/ 410mm pier, Celestron AS-GT, Celestron CG-5 w/ Argo Navis & tracking motor, SLT w/ 250mm pier & tripod mods, Manfrotto 028b w/ SV M2C, Mantrotto 055Pro w/ 128RC, Skywatcher EQ-5 w/ dual drives, TAL MT1C w/ wood tripod, Vixen SXP w/ HAL-130 & 200mm half pier
Diagonal: 2" A-P Maxbright, 2" Baader Herschel Wedge (P), 2" Zeiss/ Baader Amici Prism (DX2), 2" Long Perng Amici Prism, 2" Stellarvue DX, 2" TeleVue EverBrite
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
UlteriorModem
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Lady Fraktor wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:14 pm
Had to google that! Looks like alot of fun!
Tom

Current Equipment:
Lady Fraktor

Post by Lady Fraktor »

UlteriorModem wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:35 pm
Lady Fraktor wrote:
It was a lot of fun, I have not raced there for a while now so it was fun to get the Ducati out for the weekend. :)
Proper Telescopes: Antares 105 f/15, Bresser 102 f/13.2, Celestron 150 f/8, Stellarvue NHNGDX 80 f/6.9, TAL 100RS f/10, TS 102 f/11, UR 70 f/10, Vixen ED115s f/7.7
Mounts: Berlebach Planet w/ 410mm pier, Celestron AS-GT, Celestron CG-5 w/ Argo Navis & tracking motor, SLT w/ 250mm pier & tripod mods, Manfrotto 028b w/ SV M2C, Mantrotto 055Pro w/ 128RC, Skywatcher EQ-5 w/ dual drives, TAL MT1C w/ wood tripod, Vixen SXP w/ HAL-130 & 200mm half pier
Diagonal: 2" A-P Maxbright, 2" Baader Herschel Wedge (P), 2" Zeiss/ Baader Amici Prism (DX2), 2" Long Perng Amici Prism, 2" Stellarvue DX, 2" TeleVue EverBrite
pakarinen
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

Traded in my 8-year old Nissan Rogue for a sedan. Apples and oranges, but it was time. Major repairs were becoming routine.

And if I *really* have to haul stuff, I can rent a cargo van.
Orion ST120, Meade AdventureScope ST80, Skywatcher 90mm Mak
Twilight 1 / Astro Devices encoders / Nexus II / Manfrotto 475B tripod / Stellarvue M1V / Skywatcher AZ5
Nikon Aculon 10x50 binos / US Navy 1944 Mark 30 7x50 binos
Butterfly Maiden
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Lady Fraktor wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:37 pm
UlteriorModem wrote:
Lady Fraktor wrote:
It was a lot of fun, I have not raced there for a while now so it was fun to get the Ducati out for the weekend. :)
I also had to Google this.

I'm glad you had a great time.
Vanessa
turboscrew
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by turboscrew »

Lady Fraktor wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:37 pm
UlteriorModem wrote:
Lady Fraktor wrote:
Much better than with Pannonia. :-D
Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, dobsonian, all manual.
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N

Lady Fraktor

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Here is a link to make it easier: https://www.pannonia-ring.com/index.php

I am not sure what you mean turboscrew?
turboscrew
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by turboscrew »

Lady Fraktor wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:40 am

In Pannonia they used to make motorcycles named Pannonia. The motorcycle in the picture is Pannonia.
Well, Pannonia was the name of Roman province. I guess it's about Hungary-Slovakia these days.

Also, Dacia is a car made in, what was known as Dacia. Mostly Romania these days.
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N

Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Shabadoo »

This is titled Montauk. It’s special to me, 3rd ship in bottle I ever made. And... it’s Montauk.
A month ago, while dusting, the light house fell over.

The old saying goes...“Once you cork it- don’t go back in. You are inviting disaster.”
My wife even warned me when I showed her.
Took me all morning. I got her done. I dropped the lighthouse a couple times. Had to go in twice with the glue blob.
Oyyy.
Bamboo tweezers shown, at base of bottle.
Attachments
A9C1AE86-3B38-428E-B72A-00785FCA0B44.jpeg
Jeff
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
Lady Fraktor

Post by Lady Fraktor »

turboscrew wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:59 pm
Lady Fraktor wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:40 am

In Pannonia they used to make motorcycles named Pannonia. The motorcycle in the picture is Pannonia.
Well, Pannonia was the name of Roman province. I guess it's about Hungary-Slovakia these days.

Also, Dacia is a car made in, what was known as Dacia. Mostly Romania these days.
I understand now, for some reason your motocycle image is not appearing when I use my computer but does if I try on my phone...
That is a nice looking motocycle and the sidecars are quite unique.
Lady Fraktor

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Shabadoo wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:19 pm
This is titled Montauk. It’s special to me, 3rd ship in bottle I ever made. And... it’s Montauk.

The old saying goes...“Once you cork it- don’t go back in. You are inviting disaster.”
Took me all morning. I got her done. I dropped the lighthouse a couple times. Had to go in twice with the glue blob.
Oyyy.
You have incredibly more patience than I have.
Very nice :)
turboscrew
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by turboscrew »

Lady Fraktor wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:32 pm
Shabadoo wrote:

Oyyy.
You have incredibly more patience than I have.
Very nice :)
I write embedded software for living. I might just have the patience and frustration tolerance, but I think I lack the skills and steady hands.
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N

Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Shabadoo wrote:

Oyyy.

Maybe that is where the saying "put a cork in it" comes from? :lol: I'm glad you got it fixed! :D Very nice work on the Montauk and scenery. I would like to try that some day. I have a Metal Earth Black Pearl I have but haven't tried it. It is very small, and I have been a bit leery of attempting it, but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I may have to give it a go.
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50
Butterfly Maiden
Orion Spur Ambassador

A slightly scary moment on Wednesday evening...

My nose suddenly started running and I was sneezing quite a lot.

Okay, the first thing you think about is COVID-19. However, I didn't have any of the other symptoms, so we didn't get too concerned.

We had some anti-histamine tablets in our medicine cabinet so I took a couple of those.

Not long afterwards, my symptoms started to get better. By the next morning I was back to normal.

Although I don't normally suffer from allergies, we were thinking that maybe it was something I'd come into contact with in our garden. We hadn't been anywhere else to account for it.

Anyway, I've not had any other symptoms since then so it looks like a form of allergy was the culprit. Phew!
Vanessa
Star Dad
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Star Dad »

Those Metal Earth models are REALLY difficult to build. My wifey gave me a 3 masted ship - I could not for the life of me get the pieces to fit. I gave up. She then got me a Dalek - er Garlic (as I call them) from Dr. Who. That was difficult but I got it put together. Now I am working on Hubble telescope. Another serious challenger. Good luck Buckethead!

And Vanessa - yeah, I too had a sneezing/runny nose. Took my usual allergy med and it too cleared up... but all the while wondering - is it COVID? We have another year of living through this pandemic. Every sneeze gets you wondering. I want <sniffle> normal to return. :D
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC
Butterfly Maiden
Orion Spur Ambassador

Star Dad wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:03 pm
And Vanessa - yeah, I too had a sneezing/runny nose. Took my usual allergy med and it too cleared up... but all the while wondering - is it COVID? We have another year of living through this pandemic. Every sneeze gets you wondering. I want <sniffle> normal to return. :D
It is scary. We are now living in times where our lives are literally at risk every time we go outside :crying-yellow:

No matter what precautions we take, there is always the chance that the virus can get to us.

It is only natural to think the worst whenever we get some symptoms that could be COVID-19 related.

I hope to God that a vaccine is discovered very soon.
Vanessa

Return to “Off-Topic”