Focuser Search

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Focuser Search

Post by KathyNS »

I am searching for a new focuser. My focuser payload is 4 lbs.

My current GSO Linear Bearing focuser, which is supposedly rated at 8 lbs won't handle the payload. The Crayford tension backs off on its own, so I constantly have to crank it back up. It loses traction on the west side of the meridian, when the payload is upside down. So I am looking to be very conservative on payload ratings.

Antares / Orion 2" Low-Profile Dual-Speed Hybrid Reflector Focuser. https://www.ontariotelescope.com/Antare ... p_770.html

They say it's kind of Crayford-ish with a linear bearing, but the description and photo look more like a rack-and-pinion. They say it will hold 16 lbs. So is it any good for AP? What's the backlash like? Any slop in the drawtube?

2" BDS-NT Baader Diamond Steeltrack® Focuser https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/a ... track.html

A Crayford, but with diamonds in the drive shaft for extra traction. Payload is 6 kg (13 lbs).

Feather Touch® Rotatable 2.0" Diameter Rack/Pinion http://starlightinstruments.com/store/i ... duct_id=61

The Cadillac of focusers, apparently, but the price is steep. I'm not sure I can afford this. Payload is 13 lbs. Their Crayfords are nice, but payload is only 8 lbs.

Any thoughts or other recommendations? TIA
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 591

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Focuser Search

Post by helicon »

That last one is over $600...but I'd bet the performance might be worth it Kathy. My AR152 has a 2" MoonLite focuser (as swapped out by lowjiber whom I bought the scope from) which is about $300. ML claims that the CF focuser can take heavy accessories, but I can't find any data about the specific payload.

https://focuser.com/products.php
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

I should have thought to add Moonlite to the list. However, their focusers are only rated for 6 lbs. Maybe their 6 lbs is more honest than the 8 lbs of the GSO I have now, but that seems to be cutting it a bit too close.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
rpineau United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by rpineau »

I've used Feather Touch focuser for years (I have 3 of them right now on refractors and a RC) and they are indeed expensive .. but you then just forgot about the focuser , that's how good they are.
I use mine with the following imaging train : Pyxis 2" gen3 + adapter + FLI CFW2-7 + FLI ML 16200 .. zero movement.

Regards,
Rodolphe
Paramount MX+ / CFF250 F8 RC / Stellarvue SVQ100 / Stellarvue SV80ST
FLI ML-16200 / FLI CFW2-7 / Astrodon Gen II LRGB filters & Ha 5nm filter / Chroma LoGlow & RGB filters
ZWO ASI 174MC-Cool , ASI 294MC PRO, ASI 290MM & ASI120MM Mini / Pegasus Astro Falcon rotator / TheSkyX Pro (macOS, Linux)
http://www.rti-zone.org/astro.php
dritter
Moon Ambassador

Post by dritter »

Don't buy the Antares/Orion low profile. My MN190 originally came with one. It is horrible. Almost everybody who gets one with an MN190 replaces it.

The cadillac of the bunch is the FeatherTouch for sure. I have two of theirs. One of them is the 2" crayford (FTF2015BCR), it works really well and can easily handle the payload I place on it. That is what I put on my MN190. (We discussed this one a while back, if I recall correctly).

The other FeatherTouch I now have is a 3.5" rack-and-pinion. I don't know the part number off hand but it works very well too. It came to me on a 5" refractor.

No idea about the Baader, never used one.

I have tried a Moonlite on a friends scope. For visual it was really good. But no idea how well they work for AP. Lots of people say they are good though, so they do have a positive reputation.
Dave
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

My new FeatherTouch Crayford focuser has shipped. Hopefully, it will get here in a couple of weeks. (The Post Office is swamped with pre-Christmas levels of parcels, due to everyone shopping online during the lockdown.)

I was going to get the rack & pinion FeatherTouch, but it uses components of the 3" focusers, and would not have fit my scope without extensive modification. The Crayford is a direct replacement for my current GSO LF. The FeatherTouch's weight capacity is listed as the same as the GSO, 8 lbs, but I have more confidence that it will actually hold the rated weight without slipping. The GSO won't hold 4 lbs.

I already have a RigelSys motor for the FT, so it should be a quick install.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

i just check some images online , looks like a nice focuser kathy .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

I received my FeatherTouch focuser today. Installing the Rigelsys motor was a bit of a pain, but I got it done. I installed the focuser on the scope - a perfect fit!

I did some manual focusing when it got dark tonight with a Bahtinov mask, just to get the focal point dialed in. SGP did an autofocus run successfully with the settings for the old focuser. For efficiency, I want to do the autofocus setup properly to set the step size, but I'll do that tomorrow night. Right now, I have a session running, and it looks good.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Well, I broke the curse, and got two nights in a row of good imaging starting the day I got a new piece of equipment! Bwah-ha-ha! I'll pay for it now!

I definitely like the Feathertouch. The night before last, I ran it without the tension/lock knob in place due to a mechanical conflict with the focus motor. It still worked well enough to focus well on all subs, including west of the meridian, where the old GSO had trouble. For last night's run, I reconfigured the motor to the other side of its bracket, allowing me to install and access the tension/lock knob. I just had to reverse the autofocus outputs, easily done with a checkbox for that purpose. It ran beautifully on both sides of the meridian, with good focus and a tight temperature/position graph.
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1043

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Great to hear it's working for you!

I know the 'focuser slip' problem is a real pain! I did a quick measurement on my Explore Scientific Rack and Pinion focuser the other night. ZERO backlash either way and that was with the scope pointed towards the zenith and the camera and EFW in place
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

mbenjaminz28 Canada
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by mbenjaminz28 »

KathyNS wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:07 pm I should have thought to add Moonlite to the list. However, their focusers are only rated for 6 lbs. Maybe their 6 lbs is more honest than the 8 lbs of the GSO I have now, but that seems to be cutting it a bit too close.

Their 2" models can only hold around 6lb, but their 2.5" models are closer to 10 pounds. I use the CHL2.5" on my 12" Meade which holds a Sbig Stt3200/FW8S/Starchaser SC2/AO-8a no issues at all, heavier than most amateur setups.
William optics flt 132, WO 0.72 reducer, Sbig Aluma U694/FW8G/AO-8a, 36mm LRGB 3nm Ha Oiii Sii, Cem120 non ec, Celestron CGX, Meade 12"F8 ota, Meade 70mm astrograph, Meade 6sn, TSflat2