Astrophotography (AP) Annoyances

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Astrophotography (AP) Annoyances

Post by JayTee »

It's time to make our list of grievances against this most difficult venue of amateur astronomy. Don't hold back, let it all out -- it's good for the soul! My bet is that this is going to a loooong list.

What are your greatest annoyances/impediments/frustrations that keep you from achieving your perfect AP image?
Here are mine in no particular order (but probably the most onerous ones are first)
CLOUDS/HAZE/TURBULENT AIR
Intermittent cables
Software updates
Unknown guiding parameters (PHD2 mystery settings)
Batteries
Flexure
No guide stars
Skills perish due to extended bad weather
Camera setting confusion (gain, offset)
No clue on how to effectively post-process

I didn't want to list them all so I'll leave some for you all.

I'm feeling better,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1045

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Re: Astrophotography (AP) Annoyances

Post by Gordon »

You covered them pretty well JT!

I guess my biggest is why is it that EVERYTHING works great one night, then the next night NOTHING seems to work....... :Think:
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

We hadn't had any Forest Fire smoke here until I mentioned it somewhere here in a thread. Guess I should have stayed away from the keyboard!!!!

Chalk it all up to astmosphere.
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Always a 7AM tee time the next day!!!

Like the list,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

I'm pretty new with AP stuff, but...

My biggest angst so far is the capture software flipping a switch on me that I do not catch and rendering a whole evening's images trash.

And post processing! Namely, the enjoyment of the software when I move a slider and the complete opposite of my intent occurs!

Maddening! :lol:

We could start a subforum for recovering astrophotographers...:D
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

The largest issue for me, besides the horrible weather patterns, is my mount. I have been forced to only image with my GT102 or use Hyperstar on my CGEM-DX as I can't get control of the RA swings (and DEC sometimes) at the full 2100mm or even with the 0.7x FR.

But I think JayTee's list captures most of the issues I've had as well.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

As Mike (xcalrocketman) alluded to above, this one hasn't been mentioned outright but is always out there ready to strike and usually there's nothing you can do about it.

BACKLASH!!!
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

+1 on inconsistency from one night to the next. I have a 37 step checklist to make sure setup is the same each time out, but results don't reflect that.

Hmmm. Maybe next time I should take the list out with me and follow it ;)

And don't get me started on the mystical art of post processing!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Sattelites and daylight savings times.

That and spending a half hour processing an image only to realize at the end it is crap and you start all over. Rinse repeat. Sometimes the data just aint all that :)
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Did we mention cables snagging/dragging while slewing or guiding? Just one more thing to destroy an evening session.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Cable management is key :)

Note how the cable bundle is secured to the pier at the bottom, and where it passes through the mounting saddle, with a nice bit of slack in between the two.

Tom

Current Equipment:
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Aside from the weather, for me it's setting up. Hauling all the gear outside, doing polar alignment, calibrating the mount, finding and framing the target and calibrating the autoguider easily takes me an hour. I wish I had a semi-permanent setup on my driveway, that would take a half hour or more off my setup routine. Marking the position of the feet helps a bit but the number of clear nights are so rare that the sun burnt off the duct tape by the time the next opportunity arises.

Everybody mentions incomprehensible inconsistency. I was just looking at Bryan's images for instance, his M81 had perfectly round stars with 2 minute unguided exposures but the next target M57, taken the same night, had oblong stars - why is that? If we had tools to nail the cause, that would help a great deal. Polar misalignment, imbalance, cables, PE, play in the mount axes, focuser slop, they all have position dependent impact and I would like to have a tool that tells me what's wrong. The most sensitive tool I have is an autoguider, if anyone knows autoguider-based diagnostics software please let me know.

One diagnostic that I use as part of my polar alignment is to slew around RA with the scope aimed near Polaris while taking a 30 second image. If I see non-round tracks or a different center slewing one way vs. the other then I know that something is not tight enough. I suspect that just releasing the clutches affects the results already unfortunately but how would I know.

I don't have software update issues because I try to minimize software complications and the hassle of having a big old laptop around. On the downside this requires mastering the skills of setting up with mechanical tools only (except for the autoguider). This is partly self inflicted by my decision to get the goto-less G11S but once I understand all the mechanical aspects including cone error these problems should go away. There just never seems to be enough time to learn this, or is it because I don't want to set up on Moonlit nights just to practice... that's what I should be doing more of.

Ok enough rambling but it would be good to hear what tricks people use to identify what could be wrong with the setup.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Indeed being able to leave the rig set up is an absolute bonus! Realstically it takes me about 10 minutes to get everything installed and connected. The longest part is waiting for dark. Then a quick solve and sync, start the sequence, and if all is good it's off and running. Of course I did not include the time spent setting up the sequence itself.

I rarely even bother with PA since it 'should' still be set from the last time I did a drift align. Unless phd is all over the place.

Image20171006_175636 by Tom Whit, on Flickr
Tom

Current Equipment:
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

JT mentioned backlash. I had issues with DEC backlash on my secondhand CGEM. Found a internet site I trusted with the right way to physically adjust it. But I made sure I re-read the provided reference material that came with the scope. There was little to no instructions (other than send it 2/3 the way across the continent) for adjusting the mount or maintenance. I discovered a battery under the removable switch plate... saw the motors and found a way to re-lube the gears.

So if they only provide 1/2 the story, I wonder what else I have to discover on my own!!!
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
Lokifish
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Lokifish »

A $0.30 piece of hardware from the hardware store costing $10 on an astro site.
Russ
A.K.A "Backyard Observatory" on Facebook and Youtube

Meade SN8 w/ DIY coma corrector, Astro Modded Rubinar 1000/10 @f/5.2, 130/5 Newtonian, Pentax SMC 200/4, Canon SH 30/1.7
SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro, Modified Celestron SLT
183 OSC, 224 OSC, Canon 1100D, Sony NEX-3
Nikon 7-12 zoom, a lot of DIY/salvage eyepieces
Aidi
Mars Ambassador

Post by Aidi »

As well as everyone elses comments....Technical Understanding, especially CMOS cameras.

Gain
Offsets
Dynamic Range
Quantum Efficiency
Clipping

Just a few of the things i would like to understand more, but most posts on the subjects just blow my mind!
Rgds
Aidi

Equipment: Skywatcher Esprit 120 | Altair Astro 70mm Quadruplet| EQ-6 R Pro | QHY PoleMaster | QHY5L-II Autoguide Camera | ZWO OAG | PHD2 | EQMOD/ASCOM | Atik 460ex Mono| ZWO ASI 1600mm Pro| Pegasus UPB & Focusers | SGP Pro | CDC | PS 2017 | PixInsight
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Lokifish wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:51 pm A $0.30 piece of hardware from the hardware store costing $10 on an astro site.
Boy that's the truth. Adaptor rings come to mind.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Ozypic
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ozypic »

I can see how all the above problems are anoying but for me , home is just all about light polution, but when I get away in our motorhome its all about other people. Getting all the gear out of the bus is fine except for the fact that I'm rocking the bus, ( I have put a block of wood under the step) but Im still letting the cold and the insects in each time I open the door ,50 odd times. But still we get through all that with a little wine and a good meal , then its all about making noise for nearby campers and their lighting and inquisitive animals ,torches etc etc .... then comes the biggy , packing it all away at midnight after the boss and everyone else has gone to sleep... sigh... Don't get me wrong ,my wife is very understanding but its still annoying haha
Phill
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Nice one Phill. How did it take this long to get around to LP. :flame:

JT

XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

JayTee wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:50 pm This one hasn't been mentioned but is always out there ready to strike and usually there's nothing you can do about it.

BACKLASH!!!

Yeah, basically that is what I was referring to in my post about the CGEM.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets