How use desiccant with permanently attached camera?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

How use desiccant with permanently attached camera?

Post by STEVE333 »

Even before receiving my ASI1600MM camera with filter wheel I started reading how it was recommended to keep the camera in a desiccant container when not in use to help prevent fogging during use. I keep my camera/filter wheel combination permanently attached to the W.O. Star71 telescope (prevent dust motes and the ability to reuse Flats). The question was: How can I keep the camera in a "dry environment" while still having it attached to the telescope?

Answer - Use a ZipLock bag. The picture below shows the camera with the 1-gallon ZipLock bag "zipped" tight around the adapter connecting the telescope to the filter wheel/camera combination. You can see the desiccant bags (I put two inside the plastic bag) are still nice and blue. I've been using this setup for about a month now and the blue color of the desiccant hasn't had any noticeable change. We have high humidity here this time of year (74% today, but, over 80% isn't uncommon) but so far no problems with any dew forming on the camera window.

Image100_1132 by STEPHEN KING, on Flickr

Comments/Suggestions welcomed.

Cheers,
Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: How use desiccant with permanently attached camera?

Post by Baskevo »

Thanks for the tip Steve! I also keep everything attached, but we don't usually have to worry about hold or cold weather here. I am still worried about it though, and this is probably just a good idea in general!
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

good idea, i can show you a camera, scope setup that from dew has a fair bit of rust due to the end of the night i'm in a quick rush to pack things up and there is typically a bit of moisture around . i'm always constantly scouring bolts painting them to fight of oxide , my asi 1600 fan grill is a rusty cesspool.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Baskevo wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:23 pm Thanks for the tip Steve! I also keep everything attached, but we don't usually have to worry about hold or cold weather here. I am still worried about it though, and this is probably just a good idea in general!
Others say that over time the cooled cameras can "leak" and moisture gets inside. They say this approach (keeping the camera in a closed container with desiccant) definitely helps.

yobbo89 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:31 pm good idea, i can show you a camera, scope setup that from dew has a fair bit of rust due to the end of the night i'm in a quick rush to pack things up and there is typically a bit of moisture around . i'm always constantly scouring bolts painting them to fight of oxide , my asi 1600 fan grill is a rusty cesspool.
Sorry to hear about the rust. Hope this approach works for both of us. Can you purchase a new fan grill?

Cheers,
Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

STEVE333 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:31 pm
Baskevo wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:23 pm Thanks for the tip Steve! I also keep everything attached, but we don't usually have to worry about hold or cold weather here. I am still worried about it though, and this is probably just a good idea in general!
Others say that over time the cooled cameras can "leak" and moisture gets inside. They say this approach (keeping the camera in a closed container with desiccant) definitely helps.

yobbo89 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:31 pm good idea, i can show you a camera, scope setup that from dew has a fair bit of rust due to the end of the night i'm in a quick rush to pack things up and there is typically a bit of moisture around . i'm always constantly scouring bolts painting them to fight of oxide , my asi 1600 fan grill is a rusty cesspool.
Sorry to hear about the rust. Hope this approach works for both of us. Can you purchase a new fan grill?

Cheers,
Steve
I think i'll replace the rusted grill when i sell it haha, i've had it for a few years now, 100s of hours of use. the uv from the sun is fading the anodized colour on it too , i have two of them , the other one doesn't get much use so i might part ways with both and get something with a wider chip .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .