DSLR camera for a beginner

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Glenbo58 Canada
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

DSLR camera for a beginner

Post by Glenbo58 »

The other night I had my Celestron Ultima 8 Cassegrain pointed at the Orion Nebula using an Orion Q70 40mm. eyepiece.
It was so beautiful I wished I could have photographed it.
Up to now I have been an observer only. But I would consider purchasing a used DSLR camera bundle & a Focal reducer/flattner just to get my feet wet.
I could mount the camera onto my scope or attach the body directly via a t ring & adapter. My scope is not computerized but has a high quality Byers drive with PEC that works well when properly polar aligned.

So what are a few inexpensive camera models for a newbie like me that are easy to use?
Lunt 102 ED, Celestron AVX, Orion Q70 38mm. Meade Super Plosl 26mm. Orthoscopic 18mm. Antaras Plossl 12.5mm.
Viven SLV 5mm. GSO 2.5 3 element barlow
Dragonsfire Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: DSLR camera for a beginner

Post by Dragonsfire »

If you dont have tracking then it will be difficult. The iOptron Skytracker the cheapest way to go for camera mount or short scope.Go to camera store and see what camera feels good to you and easy on the buttons.
Neil
Orion XT8i Dob, ES AR102
9x50 RACI Finder, TELRAD Reflex Sight, Electro Dot Sight RD400X
Agena SWA 38mm 70 FOV 2" EP, Orion 25+10mm Sirius Plossl 52 FOV EP
ES 82* 11mm, 18mm 2", ES 68* 24mm, 6mm, 25mm Ortho. EP, Televue 3X Barlow,CS lens 2.8mm-12mm F1.4
Filters Baader Continuum, UV/IF cut, Lumicon UHC, DGM OIII. ND5/3.8 Kendrick
GX1 Lumix, E-PM2, ASI224mc, SteadyPix Deluxe, iOptron SkyTracker 7.7lb
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

I'd check around for a used camera. Most free or relatively inexpense capture programs play well with most of the Canon line. You'll likely also find that with a DSLR you're going to have to hook your camera up to a computer. Just using the camera to center your image is very time consuming. Focusing is probably even more of an issue. I was you about 2 years ago, I suffered the growing pains! You're really fighting a battle with you scope/mount combination. The long focal length combined with the inability to guide will make the task ummm, frustrating (yup that's the best word to use).

Trust me, once you get an image that pleases you, you'll forget you shallowed the AP hook. :D Next you'll be on the hunt for a mount and scope that will allow you to really get serious. You don't mention if you're in a Rural or Urban area. A good rule of thumb is you can deal with a light polluted site IF you throw enough money at it. Secondly, like Tom says "put your money in the mount".

Best of luck, and remember it a Hobby not a Hurry!
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
Glenbo58 Canada
Earth Ambassador

Post by Glenbo58 »

I do live in a rural area in a dark sky zone. Its funny how my scope & mount was actually designed for AP back in the nineties.It is why the fork is so robust, heavy duty wedge & tripod. Unfortunatley the drive technology in the mount cannot be altered for autoguiding. How did they do it back in the day with equipment like mine?
Lunt 102 ED, Celestron AVX, Orion Q70 38mm. Meade Super Plosl 26mm. Orthoscopic 18mm. Antaras Plossl 12.5mm.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

When people ask what DSLR they should start with for AP, I always recommend a gently used Canon T3i. Right now these are probably costing less than 250 USD. The nice thing about this camera, that I'm particularly fond of, is that it has an articulating screen so you don't have to hurt your back and crane your neck to see the screen to get a good focus on what it is you're trying to image. A lot of folks have started with this camera and I have yet to hear any complaints. I like them so much, I own two.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

JayTee wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:07 pm I like them so much, I own two.

And I own one two!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I like my Fuji X-a1, very good on dpreview studio at low light. I see a body on Ebay for $135. But the camera should be the least of your concerns. You need an equatorial mount and probably a 80 or 102 mm Apo, trying AP with an Alt/Az at long focal length will be frustrating. But you can try, just don't expect much of it.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Glenbo58 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:45 am I do live in a rural area in a dark sky zone. Its funny how my scope & mount was actually designed for AP back in the nineties.It is why the fork is so robust, heavy duty wedge & tripod. Unfortunatley the drive technology in the mount cannot be altered for autoguiding. How did they do it back in the day with equipment like mine?
Careful alignment of the scope and wedge, shorter exposures but more of them and a lot of patience and practice.

Unfortunately you will not be able to get great depths of details like some of the images you see around here.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Glenbo58 Canada
Earth Ambassador

Post by Glenbo58 »

Thanks to all of you for your input & advice. An 80-105mm. APO on a goto would be my choice too. I think I will just enjoy the view with the scope that I hanve until I can purchase more appropriate equipment. When I bought my CAT I was really just a moon & planet guy but nowl I want to look at nebulas & galaxies too. I enjoy the art of finding the objects in the sky & when I do the scope tracks them well. When I saw the Orion Nebula last week for the first time & saw a beautiful hue of blue to the gas cloud I was excited & wished I could have captured it. I was not expecting any color.