Buying Hyperstar vs dedicated wide field refractor

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Saganwannabe
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Buying Hyperstar vs dedicated wide field refractor

Post by Saganwannabe »

I want to jump into wide field imaging. I’m gonna purchase either a hyperstar for my EdgeHD 11 or a dedicated wide field refractor (100-130mm Tak or Stellarvue triplet).

I’d love to hear from someone who has some first hand AP experience with both of these rigs. I know that getting a dedicated wide field refractor would give me additional benefits over the Hyperstar (ie: smaller/more portable telescope, temp equalizes quicker, etc), but I’m interested in a purely “end result” comparison. Which setup will give me brighter, sharper, “better” images?
Edgehd 11, Sky-Watcher Esprit 100 ED APO triplet on a Losmandy G11g.
Toko Big Eye 20x120 Japanese Naval binoculars (1944) on a custom made mount.
AP rig: Celestron OAG w/mono Atik Titan autoguider and Full Spectrum Modified (Hap Griffin) cooled Canon T5i.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Buying Hyperstar vs dedicated wide field refractor

Post by JayTee »

While you are waiting for someone with the experience you're asking about to reply, you may want to check out Astrobin.com and search for images taken by the two different imaging setups you're asking about.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

I would get the Tak 106, seems that funds are not a problem. Would be really portable, if that is needed. And you would have two fine scopes to investigate targets. The wide field Tak for big nebulae and the 11 inch for those small things, galaxies come to mind. Right now, galaxy season, I am planning a bunch of wide field shots of the Virgo cluster and simultaneously shooting thru the big scope at individual galaxies. Twice the fun at the same time.

Just thoughts,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

If you don't mind swapping out to the hyperstar and collimating it then a 11'' at f2 sounds very nice ! the f2 hyperstar will be about 2.5 to 3 times faster depending what refractor you're looking at.i only use my sct for planets as i have medium fl size scope and most of the year it doesn't get used until it is planet season so in perspective you can see how a hyperstar could add more use to your sct over the seasonal year.

The tak 106 is also nice at f5, there is a x0.6 reducer for it, bringing it down to f3 at 334mm fl, a f2 hyperstar is very nice but a f5 refractor isn't much of a deal breaker, especially when it is a nice scope like a tak.

i can only ask, would you rather swap out the hyperstar or swap over the scope, swapping a scope over will be much easier.

I have some fov comparisons below of the edge 11'' hd at f2 and a tak 106 at f5 and with the reducer at f3, included a full frame dslr camera and a zwo 1600 thats near aps-c size.

hd 11'' at f2
11 hd f2.jpg
tak106 at f5
tak 106.jpg
tak106 at f3
tak 106 0x6 reducer.jpg
btw do you plan on using a mono camera? osc? filter wheel ? going full automation ?

i have no experience with the two, but i'm guessing with the hyperstar on the sct you'll have to focus, lock the mirror down to stop mirror flop,and then adjust it over the night ??
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Saganwannabe
Earth Ambassador

Post by Saganwannabe »

I’ll be using a reducer, Celestron OAG, filter wheel, Atik Titan mono autoguider, and a full-spectrum modified dslr.
AP rig: Celestron OAG w/mono Atik Titan autoguider and Full Spectrum Modified (Hap Griffin) cooled Canon T5i.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Check out this thread on the astronomy forum:
http://www.astronomyforum.net/astrophot ... 2-apo.html
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Saganwannabe
Earth Ambassador

Post by Saganwannabe »

Thanks for all the useful information. I just pulled the trigger on a used/like new Hyperstar V3 for my EDGEhd 11. Can’t wait to try it out!
Any pointers on this configuration would be appreciated.