Moonlight Focus Motor

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Moonlight Focus Motor

Post by STEVE333 »

After messing up the focus on the Blue channel of some HaRGB data I decided it was time for a change. I've been adjusting the focus on the telescope, then, running from the telescope to the house window to look through the window at the laptop on the dining room table to view the APT Bahtinov Aid to see if I moved it in the correct direction and was it enough, then back to the telescope for another small adjustment (hopefully I remembered which direction to adjust), then back to the window, then ... :angry-tappingfoot:. Based on information and encouragement from Chartram (Mike), Friday I contacted Moonlight and have ordered a stepper motor focus drive for my WO Star71 telescope. Mike got the first one they made (prototype) for this telescope. Now, they have a production solution. So, for a measly $540 + Shipping, I will be the owner of stepper motor focusser, and, won't have to run around outside my house like a crazy person!! They have instructions, and, it looks like even I can assemble it. Can't wait to assemble it and give it a try.

When I started I was never going to progress beyond my used Canon T3 camera on the NexStar 4SE Alt/Az mount. GIMP was all I would need for processing. Too complicated and scary to consider any other possible upgrades and changes. However, Sixinias (Joe) took me under his wing and helped me along with many suggestions and pointers that encouraged me to "reach out" a little. Thanks Joe, you'll never know how much you helped.

Well, now, 6 years later, I'm purchasing the last piece of equipment (I tell myself) which will give me a fully automated NB imaging system including:
  • Equatorial Mount
    Cooled CMOS imager
    Automated Filter Wheel
    LRGB + HA, Oii and Sii NB filters
    Autoguider
    Autofocuser
    Remote Laptop inside the house
    Pixinsight for processing

I never would have believed that I would purchase and learn how to use so much equipment and software. However, I have no regrets! This has been an exciting journey which is just now starting on a new adventure. So much to learn and do and so little time!!!

More to come.

Cheers,
Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Moonlight Focus Motor

Post by STEVE333 »

Just for clarity, I control all of this with APT. Hopefully the Focus motor will work with all the other USB connections over the 40' USB extender to the laptop inside the house.

Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

That is really cool Steve. Congratulations on your new piece of gear.

I would really like a auto focuser, but it will be some time for me. At least my laptop is right by the scope and Ican easily adjust the focus there.

Man, you are absorbing a bunch of new skills!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Juno16 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:10 am That is really cool Steve. Congratulations on your new piece of gear.

I would really like a auto focuser, but it will be some time for me. At least my laptop is right by the scope and Ican easily adjust the focus there.

Man, you are absorbing a bunch of new skills!

Thanks Jim - I used to have no problems focussing when my laptop was next to the scope. However, with the laptop now needing to be in the house it has become unbearable and unreliable running back and forth. It's such a pain when you go to the trouble of setting up, taking data, tearing down, and later you find out some of the data was junk!! Ughhhh. This new focusser should ensure getting good focus every time!

You're not kidding about absorbing a lot of new skills. I hope I'm absorbing them!! Time will tell.

Cheers,
Steve
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Woohoo! We are now in the exact same boat, Steve! :) Are you only getting the stepper motor or are you buying an entirely new focuser with a stepper included?

The focuser motor has made a huge difference for me!
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I hope it works well for you :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

STEVE333 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:24 am ..... adjusting the focus on the telescope, then, running from the telescope to the house window to look through the window at the laptop on the dining room table to view the APT Bahtinov Aid to see if I moved it in the correct direction and was it enough, then back to the telescope for another small adjustment (hopefully I remembered which direction to adjust), then back to the window, then ...

Been there. The motorised focuser, Bat mask, live view focusing setup is a game changer!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Baskevo wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:09 pm Woohoo! We are now in the exact same boat, Steve! :) Are you only getting the stepper motor or are you buying an entirely new focuser with a stepper included?

The focuser motor has made a huge difference for me!
Just the stepper motor. It mounts using existing threaded holes in the telescope. It attaches to the coarse focus knob on the opposite side from where the fine focus knob is. Still allows for manual focus.

Graeme1858 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:49 pm
STEVE333 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:24 am ..... adjusting the focus on the telescope, then, running from the telescope to the house window to look through the window at the laptop on the dining room table to view the APT Bahtinov Aid to see if I moved it in the correct direction and was it enough, then back to the telescope for another small adjustment (hopefully I remembered which direction to adjust), then back to the window, then ...

Been there. The motorised focuser, Bat mask, live view focusing setup is a game changer!

Regards

Graeme
I believe it Graeme - very excited.

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:17 pm I hope it works well for you :)
Thanks. Me too!!

Cheers,
Steve
Kerry C. United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

STEVE333 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:24 am
When I started I was never going to progress beyond my used Canon T3 camera on the NexStar 4SE Alt/Az mount. GIMP was all I would need for processing. Too complicated and scary to consider any other possible upgrades and changes.
Cheers,
Steve

I laughed when I read this. For this last years Christmas I told my wife that all I only wanted and needed was a new telescope. She bought me the Celestron 8SE with the Alt/Az mount. My son donated his old Canon T3i to the cause a few weeks later. Then a couple of weeks ago I downloaded Gimp and muddled my way through my first processing session. I am in the same pair of shoes you were wearing 6 years ago...they already feel tight and I need more room. :lol:
I now have a motorized focuser on my birthday list as well as other things on a wish list for the next 6 Christmas's and birthdays.
Kerry

Scopes; William Optics GT 81mm Triplet, TS Optics APO 102mm f/7refractor, Cestron Nexstar 8SE, Gskyer 80mm x 400mm refractor
Mount; Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro
Cameras; ZWO ASI 2600MC Pro, QHY5iii462C, ZWO ASI224MC, Canon 600D DSLR T3i.
Guide scope; ZWO 60280 f/4.6
Guide camera; ASI290mm mini
Filters; Optolong L-eXtreme 2”, Optolong L-Pro 2”, QHYCCD IR/CUT, QHYCCD IR850
Kerry C. United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

STEVE333 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:32 am Just for clarity, I control all of this with APT. Hopefully the Focus motor will work with all the other USB connections over the 40' USB extender to the laptop inside the house.

Steve

Steve a question for you. Is that 40’ USB cable any special kind? I was told by the “ geek squad geek” I could only run about 20’ without some kind of booster. Do you know if there is a max distance you can run a USB line?
Okay, so that is 2 questions.
Kerry

Scopes; William Optics GT 81mm Triplet, TS Optics APO 102mm f/7refractor, Cestron Nexstar 8SE, Gskyer 80mm x 400mm refractor
Mount; Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro
Cameras; ZWO ASI 2600MC Pro, QHY5iii462C, ZWO ASI224MC, Canon 600D DSLR T3i.
Guide scope; ZWO 60280 f/4.6
Guide camera; ASI290mm mini
Filters; Optolong L-eXtreme 2”, Optolong L-Pro 2”, QHYCCD IR/CUT, QHYCCD IR850

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Kerry C. wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:59 am
STEVE333 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:24 am When I started I was never going to progress beyond my used Canon T3 camera on the NexStar 4SE Alt/Az mount. GIMP was all I would need for processing. Too complicated and scary to consider any other possible upgrades and changes.
Cheers,
Steve

I laughed when I read this. For this last years Christmas I told my wife that all I only wanted and needed was a new telescope. She bought me the Celestron 8SE with the Alt/Az mount. My son donated his old Canon T3i to the cause a few weeks later. Then a couple of weeks ago I downloaded Gimp and muddled my way through my first processing session. I am in the same pair of shoes you were wearing 6 years ago...they already feel tight and I need more room. :lol:
I now have a motorized focuser on my birthday list as well as other things on a wish list for the next 6 Christmas's and birthdays.
Kerry

You made me laugh Kerry - For those of us who enjoy this hobby it is unavoidably addictive. Sound like you are hooked.

My only advice: Don't be afraid to take the next step, because, you can do it!! With all the help from the various forums (GIMP, Pixinsight, PHD2, DSS, APT, TSS, etc.) you are never alone with any problems you encounter :romance-grouphug: .

Hope you enjoy your journey as much as I'm enjoying mine.

Cheers,
Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Kerry C. wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:16 am
STEVE333 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:32 am Just for clarity, I control all of this with APT. Hopefully the Focus motor will work with all the other USB connections over the 40' USB extender to the laptop inside the house.

Steve

Steve a question for you. Is that 40’ USB cable any special kind? I was told by the “ geek squad geek” I could only run about 20’ without some kind of booster. Do you know if there is a max distance you can run a USB line?
Okay, so that is 2 questions.
Kerry

Hi Kerry - Sorry that I missed your questions about the USB "extension cord".

This is NOT just a long USB cable. I'm using a device from WEme (link below) that has a powered 4-port USB hub at one end (at the telescope/mount in my case), and, a "receiver" at the other end that plugs into the USB port of the laptop (inside my house). The Hub and Receiver are connected together with RJ45 LAN cable Cat 6 or higher (purchased separately) that can be up to 196 feet long. The combination acts like a "USB extension cord". My run of 40 feet is easily handled. Last night I tested this new "extension cord" and it worked flawlessly. Another individual here in the forum also purchased one and is using it at a length of 100 ft with no problems.

https://www.amazon.com/WEme-Extender-Co ... B01MRL2SK1

The link below is where I purchased the 40 ft ethernet cable. They have lengths from 30' to 100'.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CT ... UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps.

Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Just a quick update. The stepper motor focusser is on it's way and should arrive by end of day Thursday.

More to come.

Steve
chartram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

So awesome Steve!!!

Once you get everything together, let me know!

Mike
Mike Chartrand
Scopes: WO Star 71 Gen-II (F/4.9), Astro-Tech AT115EDT (F/7), Celestron 8" Edge HD (F/10)
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600MM w/ Baader 1.25" LRGB & Narrowband Filters, ZWO ASI174MM mini, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2
Mount: Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro
Guiding: Orion ST-80 (f/5) w/ADM MiniMax (side-by-side), ZWO OAG
Software: PHD2, Sequence Generator Pro, PixInsight
Dark Site Transportation System: 2020 Telluride SX
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

STEVE333 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:42 am
This is NOT just a long USB cable. I'm using a device from WEme (link below) that has a powered 4-port USB hub at one end (at the telescope/mount in my case), and, a "receiver" at the other end that plugs into the USB port of the laptop (inside my house). The Hub and Receiver are connected together with RJ45 LAN cable Cat 6 or higher (purchased separately) that can be up to 196 feet long. The combination acts like a "USB extension cord". My run of 40 feet is easily handled. Last night I tested this new "extension cord" and it worked flawlessly. Another individual here in the forum also purchased one and is using it at a length of 100 ft with no problems.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Yeah, and me! I'll be setting up the same system when I move the pc from the garage (5m) to the house (15m).

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

chartram wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:09 pm So awesome Steve!!!

Once you get everything together, let me know!

Mike
I'll definitely post an update Mike. Thanks again for your help.

Steve

Graeme1858 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:59 pm
STEVE333 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:42 am

Hope this helps.

Steve
Yeah, and me! I'll be setting up the same system when I move the pc from the garage (5m) to the house (15m).

Regards

Graeme
Great Graeme. Hope it works as well for you as it has for me.

Cheers, Steve
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

I have one on my RC scope. Works great! One thing to mention is to make sure you are pretty close to focus before you start the autofocus routine. The software cannot work miracles :D

Would like to get one for my APO but I dont think there is one that will work on it.

Right now I have a Rigel USBNstep on it which also works quite well so no big push on it.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

UlteriorModem wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:15 pm I have one on my RC scope. Works great! One thing to mention is to make sure you are pretty close to focus before you start the autofocus routine. The software cannot work miracles :D

Would like to get one for my APO but I dont think there is one that will work on it.

Right now I have a Rigel USBNstep on it which also works quite well so no big push on it.
Just FYI - The one I'm getting for my telescope is now a "production version". However, when Mike Chartrand got his from Moonlight they didn't have a model that would fit, so, them made a prototype for him. So, it sounds like they are open to considering making a "new design" if their current versions don't work. Just a thought. The person to contact if you are interested is "Ron".

Cheers,
Steve
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Yea I knew they did custom setups. But as I said the Rigel is working quite well.

If I ever do upgrade it will probably be the nightcrawler (rotater) version. But that probably costs as much as my mount and camera put together :D
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Congrats on the new bit of kit, Steve! A new focusing routine and no more risk of leaving the Baht mask in place when you start capturing images :).

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla