Trouble connecting CEM40 mount to APT

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Trouble connecting CEM40 mount to APT

Post by STEVE333 »

Mac wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:50 pm I am thinking of going the same route with the USB Extender and almost purchased one yesterday until I saw your first post in this thread.
Glad you have it worked out and big thanks to James for the solution.

How far will this work on ethernet Steve, do you know?

I have a 100' Cat5 cable that will work to the spot in the yard where I image, but is that too long?

I found the answer, up to 165' which is awesome. Going to order these. If I use APT and the laptop I can use this and if using the Raspberry Pi, I will plug it into the ethernet port vs. using wifi.

Hi Mac,

As you can tell from this thread, I'm not an expert in this area. However, one experience I had was that this ethernet extender didn't work on all of the laptop USB ports. My laptop has three USB inputs. I tried it on the first input and it didn't work. I tried it on the second input and it worked. I never tried the third one. Maybe this is common, don't know. I'm just glad it worked on at least one of them! Good luck with yours.

Cheers,
Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Windows may have had that port statically assigned to another device. I am not sure of Windows operation since I left it back in 2004 as a systems administrator. It provided me with job security.

I will have my new astrocam tomorrow along with the USB extenders. Fingers crossed. Anxious to try the ASILive stacking software on my Mac which will be sometime in 2021 at the rate we're going so far with clear skies.

thanks Steve
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

I received my USB extender today and it works a charm with 100' ethernet!

Thanks for the recommendation.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Mac wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:38 pm I received my USB extender today and it works a charm with 100' ethernet!

Thanks for the recommendation.
Great news Mac. It was such a pleasure last night to be able to move the mount from inside while completing the 1-star alignment. Just took seconds instead of several minutes running back and forth. With your system 100' away it will be even more important!!

Mac wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:11 pm Windows may have had that port statically assigned to another device. I am not sure of Windows operation since I left it back in 2004 as a systems administrator. It provided me with job security.

I will have my new astrocam tomorrow along with the USB extenders. Fingers crossed. Anxious to try the ASILive stacking software on my Mac which will be sometime in 2021 at the rate we're going so far with clear skies.

thanks Steve
I believe all the laptop USB ports now work with the ethernet extender. Probably something I was doing wrong before.

I was surprised that the order of connecting the "clients" made a difference. However, as long as the system works I will connect things in whatever order makes it happy.

Cheers,
Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

I was wrong about the extender working. It won't see the AVX mount connected. My cameras work fine but not the mount on both Mac and PC. I've tried several combinations of cables/hubs and no go. I need to try the fix that James mentioned.
Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Mac wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:49 pm I was wrong about the extender working. It won't see the AVX mount connected. My cameras work fine but not the mount on both Mac and PC. I've tried several combinations of cables/hubs and no go. I need to try the fix that James mentioned.

Hi Mac - Are you saying that without any hubs, etc, but just with a straight cable from the computer to the mount that you can't control the mount?

If you can control just your mount with a cable directly between the mount and the computer, then, the extender should work. It may take some learning, but, it should work.

Steve
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

STEVE333 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:45 pm
Mac wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:49 pm I was wrong about the extender working. It won't see the AVX mount connected. My cameras work fine but not the mount on both Mac and PC. I've tried several combinations of cables/hubs and no go. I need to try the fix that James mentioned.

Hi Mac - Are you saying that without any hubs, etc, but just with a straight cable from the computer to the mount that you can't control the mount?

If you can control just your mount with a cable directly between the mount and the computer, then, the extender should work. It may take some learning, but, it should work.

Steve

Something is flakey at best. It keeps disconnecting/reconnecting. Not sure what's going on. It seems the one end of the extender where the power is connected will disconnect when the ethernet cable was moved, like there is something loose but it is firmly seated.

I reseated the ethernet and now seems to be stable and working.
Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Mac wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:22 am
STEVE333 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:45 pm

Steve

Something is flakey at best. It keeps disconnecting/reconnecting. Not sure what's going on. It seems the one end of the extender where the power is connected will disconnect when the ethernet cable was moved, like there is something loose but it is firmly seated.

I reseated the ethernet and now seems to be stable and working.

Good news that it is working and stable. :greetings-clapyellow:

I noticed on my ethernet boxes, that, the ethernet cable clicks TWICE when being inserted. I thought the first click meant that it was fully inserted, but, soon realized that it needed to be pushed in further till I heard the second click. The second click is what means it is fully inserted and connected. Maybe it is the same on yours?

Cheers,
Steve
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Yeah, I've clicked my share of ethernet cables :D

I made the device manager changes James noted but didn't reboot.

Things were going awry before the reboot but both automatically connected with APT afterwards and seem good now. Something odd about how Windows handles the COM port assignments. It worked fine with direct USB through the hub. It kept telling me the port COM9, didn't exist and it did. Oh well... thanks for riding along and your help.

Finger crossed harder.
Steve

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I force my computer to use COM 1 - 4, typically COM 4. Yes you can do this. This way everybody can see the COM port you're using and doesn't report back that it doesn't exist.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

JayTee wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:46 am I force my computer to use COM 1 - 4, typically COM 4. Yes you can do this. This way everybody can see the COM port you're using and doesn't report back that it doesn't exist.

Cheers,
JT
I have no issues with the AVX thru any number of hubs/cables connected to my laptop.

I've set the Celestron driver to use COM2, as it is open and can connect the AVX via the USB extender by using a specific order connecting each device with the AVX first and then turning on the other two cameras.

It will work for a while and then using the ASCOM directional keypad for the mount, APT will lock up and the mount goes skewing off and I must turn it off to stop it. I have made the Device Manager changes James pointed out, read 100s of post by others with the same issue (sans the extender) and have given up trying to make it work for me.
Steve

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Mac wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:48 pm
JayTee wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:46 am I force my computer to use COM 1 - 4, typically COM 4. Yes you can do this. This way everybody can see the COM port you're using and doesn't report back that it doesn't exist.

Cheers,
JT
I have no issues with the AVX thru any number of hubs/cables connected to my laptop.

I've set the Celestron driver to use COM2, as it is open and can connect the AVX via the USB extender by using a specific order connecting each device with the AVX first and then turning on the other two cameras.

It will work for a while and then using the ASCOM directional keypad for the mount, APT will lock up and the mount goes skewing off and I must turn it off to stop it. I have made the Device Manager changes James pointed out, read 100s of post by others with the same issue (sans the extender) and have given up trying to make it work for me.
That happened a couple of times with my AVX! I honestly have no idea why--I suspect it might have with the power going to my AVX... Try using another power cable, or If you are using AC, try switching to DC, or switch from DC to AC, see if that makes a difference.

I'm sure you are doing this (I know you have background in IT), but for sake of others and for covering all the bases, I'd like to point out that I used to have to connect to the exact same USB ports every time, otherwise it wouldn't recognize certain devices, or reset all of the settings on some devices, or it would just be a bad night in general... I also ended up turning off all power settings (like go to sleep after so much time, there's also a setting related to power specifically for USB ports too), and any "timed" or automatic settings, like to go into power saver mode after a certain hour or when the charger is disconnected. I remember there being a bunch of settings like this...

Windows is the worst! This is why I'm normally an Apple guy.
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Thanks for the suggestion James. I am a Mac guy too, but the extender does not work on my Mac for the AVX either. It functions with all other devices.

I have no issue with power from my 13.6 vdc supply, it works fine without the extender, which is the issue at hand here. It just doesn't like dealing with COM ports and serial devices.

The AVX works well with all my other software, just in the case of the USB extender it's finicky to say the least.
Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Mac wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:42 pm Thanks for the suggestion James. I am a Mac guy too, but the extender does not work on my Mac for the AVX either. It functions with all other devices.

I have no issue with power from my 13.6 vdc supply, it works fine without the extender, which is the issue at hand here. It just doesn't like dealing with COM ports and serial devices.

The AVX works well with all my other software, just in the case of the USB extender it's finicky to say the least.

Hi Mac - Sorry to hear the problems you're having with the USB extender.

Don't know if you use APT, I do, and I found that I need to connect the mount to APT before connecting to PHD2, then everything is OK. Doesn't work if I connect to PHD2 first. Strange.

You IT guys know a lot more about this area and I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all. Just a couple thoughts:

If you use APT, is it possible for you not to use the directional keys in APT. Could you avoid them by using the Point Craft function to center objects? The Aim feature in Point Craft would be helpful too.

Are there other USB extenders that might handle USB better?

Hope you find a solution that works for you.

Cheers,
Steve
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

STEVE333 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:39 pm
Mac wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:42 pm Thanks for the suggestion James. I am a Mac guy too, but the extender does not work on my Mac for the AVX either. It functions with all other devices.

Hi Mac - Sorry to hear the problems you're having with the USB extender.

Don't know if you use APT, I do, and I found that I need to connect the mount to APT before connecting to PHD2, then everything is OK. Doesn't work if I connect to PHD2 first. Strange.

You IT guys know a lot more about this area and I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all. Just a couple thoughts:

If you use APT, is it possible for you not to use the directional keys in APT. Could you avoid them by using the Point Craft function to center objects? The Aim feature in Point Craft would be helpful too.

Are there other USB extenders that might handle USB better?

Hope you find a solution that works for you.

Cheers,
Steve

It isn't the extender but the way COM ports are being assigned by APT and Windows, i presume. I can set the ASCOM port assignments in their utility app and connected direct USB to either of my 2 hubs and it works.

That's interesting about connecting to APT before PHD2 as it automatically connect to PHD2 and the mount at startup. I have had to remove the USB cable at the laptop to have it reset the device chain and it starts working again, for awhile.
The system is setup to not fall asleep but it occurs after sitting unused. Then when I try to control the mount movement it all goes to hell in a hand basket.

I no longer know the things I used to know, so I will listen to any thoughts or advice. I appreciate your input.
Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Mac wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:55 pm It isn't the extender but the way COM ports are being assigned by APT and Windows, i presume. I can set the ASCOM port assignments in their utility app and connected direct USB to either of my 2 hubs and it works.

That's interesting about connecting to APT before PHD2 as it automatically connect to PHD2 and the mount at startup. I have had to remove the USB cable at the laptop to have it reset the device chain and it starts working again, for awhile.
The system is setup to not fall asleep but it occurs after sitting unused. Then when I try to control the mount movement it all goes to hell in a hand basket.

I no longer know the things I used to know, so I will listen to any thoughts or advice. I appreciate your input.
When I connect the USB extender to my laptop I make sure PHD2 isn't running on the laptop. That way APT won't connect the Guider. Then, after having connected APT to my mount, I start PHD2 and connect APT to the guider (PHD2). All I know is that it works if I do it that way.

Wish I understood all this so I could help.

By the way, what is "falling asleep"? APT? I haven't run into that so far.

Steve
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

An update on the WEme extender.

It also does not work correctly with my Mac or Ubuntu Linux, so it is not a Windows or APT problem. It will connect but after a few minutes of use it becomes unresponsive.

This is because the AVX mount uses COM port serial adapter and it is not a true USB device like the cameras which are.

Fortunately I still have a good use for the WEme extender and it works like a charm for that purpose.
Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Mac wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:21 pm An update on the WEme extender.

It also does not work correctly with my Mac or Ubuntu Linux, so it is not a Windows or APT problem. It will connect but after a few minutes of use it becomes unresponsive.

This is because the AVX mount uses COM port serial adapter and it is not a true USB device like the cameras which are.

Fortunately I still have a good use for the WEme extender and it works like a charm for that purpose.
Hi Mac - Too bad it doesn't work with your AVX mount, but, good news you have another use for it.

Cheers,
Steve