Getting ready for first cooled CMOS sensor

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Getting ready for first cooled CMOS sensor

Post by Baskevo »

STEVE333 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:07 am
Baskevo wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:43 am
Very cool! What program are you using to control the mount? EQMod?

Have you plate solved yet? ;)

iOptron recommends using ASCOM so I downloaded the latest version of that.

Then they recommended downloading:
FTDI USB to RS232 VCP driver from internet
(https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm)

Finally I had to get drivers from iOptron for the CEM40.

Once all that was done I started APT and clicked on the "Connect Scope" button, selected the iOptron driver in a drop-down list, and, connection was made. I can now control the mount from APT. Cool!!!!!

This might be obvious to younger APers, but, a major triumph for my generation!

I haven't plate solved from within APT. I may look into it,but, once the system is properly aligned, going to specific coordinates has worked well for me, and, I'll probably stick with it. I also use the "Sync" capability to complete the 1-star alignment, so, no plate solve required there either. Maybe I'm just stuck with old-fashioned ways of doing things.

Cheers,

Steve

I had the exact same feeling... If my 1-star alignment works, and works well, why I would want to mess with it and learn something ELSE, which sounds like a lot of work? I didn't do it for a while. Especially with the Celestron software which was super easy to use and I didn't have any trouble with it.

But, I will say, once I started plate solving, it was magical! I could now image larger objects like M31 and Rosette nebula, and not clip half of the target because my polar alignment wasn't the same from night to night. With plate solving, which takes about as long to set up as it does to do a 1-star alignment, your alignment will be 100% accurate and all of your frames will line it. It will be extremely useful, especially when using multiple filters over multiple nights and you need your frames to match up 100%.

It now takes me about 15 minutes to get set up, once I have all of my gear outside:
I run through SharpCap polar alignment routine while I'm cooling my ASI1600
Once polar aligned, I plate solve to a bright star to focus (I use to do this with the 1 star alignment at the same time, but now I don't even need to do an alignment because it doesn't make any difference)
I run PHD2, and calibrate/run GA if I need to
Platesolve to my target, which takes about 10 seconds

and I'm acquiring data in no time :)

Plate solving is very easy to set up. The APT guide will tell you how to set it up and use it, and once you finally get around to setting it up, I wouldn't be surprised if you have the same thought that I did: Why the hell wasn't I doing this before? lol

I understand you use a planetarium software as well right? I do not, but I know you can link them with APT to frame and plate solve your targets, I believe. Again, it really helps with imaging over multiple nights and with setting up mosaics and what-not.
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I have APT setup to show me the framing results in either CdC or SkyTech X both of them communicate easily with APT.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Baskevo wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:41 pm
I had the exact same feeling... If my 1-star alignment works, and works well, why I would want to mess with it and learn something ELSE, which sounds like a lot of work? I didn't do it for a while. Especially with the Celestron software which was super easy to use and I didn't have any trouble with it.

But, I will say, once I started plate solving, it was magical! I could now image larger objects like M31 and Rosette nebula, and not clip half of the target because my polar alignment wasn't the same from night to night. With plate solving, which takes about as long to set up as it does to do a 1-star alignment, your alignment will be 100% accurate and all of your frames will line it. It will be extremely useful, especially when using multiple filters over multiple nights and you need your frames to match up 100%.

It now takes me about 15 minutes to get set up, once I have all of my gear outside:
I run through SharpCap polar alignment routine while I'm cooling my ASI1600
Once polar aligned, I plate solve to a bright star to focus (I use to do this with the 1 star alignment at the same time, but now I don't even need to do an alignment because it doesn't make any difference)
I run PHD2, and calibrate/run GA if I need to
Platesolve to my target, which takes about 10 seconds

and I'm acquiring data in no time :)

Plate solving is very easy to set up. The APT guide will tell you how to set it up and use it, and once you finally get around to setting it up, I wouldn't be surprised if you have the same thought that I did: Why the hell wasn't I doing this before? lol

I understand you use a planetarium software as well right? I do not, but I know you can link them with APT to frame and plate solve your targets, I believe. Again, it really helps with imaging over multiple nights and with setting up mosaics and what-not.

I took a quick look at a YouTube APT tutorial on Plate Solving in APT with Point Craft (link below) and it does look very smple. Another thing to put on my ToDo list. Thanks a lot (chuckles)!

I have to admit, the alignment for multiple filters will be very helpful.

Cheers,
Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

STEVE333 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:54 pm
I took a quick look at a YouTube APT tutorial on Plate Solving in APT with Point Craft (link below) and it does look very smple. Another thing to put on my ToDo list. Thanks a lot (chuckles)!

Cheers,
Steve
I believe that's the video that taught me as well :) It is very handy, even if you do 1-star alignment, because you don't have to guess where to slew nor slew yourself! It does it all automatically for you :) I did not see the value in it at first, but now it is something I could not image without!
-James W.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Baskevo wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:32 am
STEVE333 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:54 pm

Cheers,
Steve

I believe that's the video that taught me as well :) It is very handy, even if you do 1-star alignment, because you don't have to guess where to slew nor slew yourself! It does it all automatically for you :) I did not see the value in it at first, but now it is something I could not image without!

I setup everything tonight and, at first, I thought it was all working. However, although I can make the mount move with GoTo, I can't move it with the NSEW buttons. Not sure what the problem is. Makes it very difficult to do the 1-star alignment. I tried to use Point Craft but got an error message (couldn't find "PointCraft2 or something like that). So, I had to go out to the mount, hold the RA slew button for 2 sec, go back inside and see if I went the right direction, go back out to the mount, .... Soooooo close. I'm sure it will get figured out.

I also used the Bahtinov Aid for focussing and it worked very well. Since I don't have a display out at the mount I have to do a little focus adjustment then walk over to the window (about 20 ft) and look through the window at the laptop display, see if the adjustment made things better or worse, then go back to the mount and repeat. Didn't take too long at all. Focus looks good!!

More good news is that I'm collecting reasonable data on the Christmas Tree and Cone regions right now. I really didn't expect to get any data tonight. Of course the moon is only 30 deg from the targets, so, lots of interference (noise). However, I've never imaged it before so the evening isn't a waste.

Cheers,
Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

STEVE333 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:54 am
I setup everything tonight and, at first, I thought it was all working. However, although I can make the mount move with GoTo, I can't move it with the NSEW buttons. Not sure what the problem is. Makes it very difficult to do the 1-star alignment. I tried to use Point Craft but got an error message (couldn't find "PointCraft2 or something like that). So, I had to go out to the mount, hold the RA slew button for 2 sec, go back inside and see if I went the right direction, go back out to the mount, .... Soooooo close. I'm sure it will get figured out.

I also used the Bahtinov Aid for focussing and it worked very well. Since I don't have a display out at the mount I have to do a little focus adjustment then walk over to the window (about 20 ft) and look through the window at the laptop display, see if the adjustment made things better or worse, then go back to the mount and repeat. Didn't take too long at all. Focus looks good!!

More good news is that I'm collecting reasonable data on the Christmas Tree and Cone regions right now. I really didn't expect to get any data tonight. Of course the moon is only 30 deg from the targets, so, lots of interference (noise). However, I've never imaged it before so the evening isn't a waste.

Cheers,
Steve
Ah man! That's a bummer! I thought the NSEW buttons weren't working with my EQ6-R Pro, but it turned out they were just extremely slow. I couldn't figure out how to change the speed in APT, so I ended up just using EQMod to move the mount without plate solving. Do you have a program that lets you control the mount other than APT?

Did you install the PlateSolve 2 software? It is here: https://ideiki.com/astro/usersguide/poi ... olving.htm
Under PS2 Installation

you also have to download the plate solve catalog :) Once you have them working though, they work like an absolute charm and you will love it Steve!
-James W.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Baskevo wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:01 am

Ah man! That's a bummer! I thought the NSEW buttons weren't working with my EQ6-R Pro, but it turned out they were just extremely slow. I couldn't figure out how to change the speed in APT, so I ended up just using EQMod to move the mount without plate solving. Do you have a program that lets you control the mount other than APT?

Did you install the PlateSolve 2 software? It is here: https://ideiki.com/astro/usersguide/poi ... olving.htm
Under PS2 Installation

you also have to download the plate solve catalog :) Once you have them working though, they work like an absolute charm and you will love it Steve!
[/quote]

I just found the iOptron Commander / Mount Panel that opens up in the background when APT connects to the mount. The control panel has RA and Dec NSEW buttons which I was able to use to move the mount when I brought it back into the house and connected with a 6' USB cable. Next test is to see if I can still do that when connected through the ethernet cable system. I'm hoping that will work too.

I didn't instal the PlateSolve 2 software. Didn't realize I needed to. Thanks for the link, I'll do it right now. Looks like I better do a bit more reading of the APT documentation.

What would i do without you! You are saving me an incredible amount of time.

Thanks for all your help!!! :text-thankyouyellow: :text-thankyoublue:

Cheers,
Steve
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

STEVE333 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:04 am

Under PS2 Installation

I just found the iOptron Commander / Mount Panel that opens up in the background when APT connects to the mount. The control panel has RA and Dec NSEW buttons which I was able to use to move the mount when I brought it back into the house and connected with a 6' USB cable. Next test is to see if I can still do that when connected through the ethernet cable system. I'm hoping that will work too.

I didn't instal the PlateSolve 2 software. Didn't realize I needed to. Thanks for the link, I'll do it right now. Looks like I better do a bit more reading of the APT documentation.

What would i do without you! You are saving me an incredible amount of time.

Cheers,
Steve
[/quote]

I'm glad I can help! It's funny, I literally went through all of these things like a month, month and a half ago (plate solving, automating, etc)... You can probably find my posts on them! haha you've helped me a ton with processing so I'm glad I can share the knowledge :) I still use a lot of the techniques you showed me!
-James W.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Baskevo wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:14 am
STEVE333 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:04 am What would i do without you! You are saving me an incredible amount of time.

Cheers,
Steve

I'm glad I can help! It's funny, I literally went through all of these things like a month, month and a half ago (plate solving, automating, etc)... You can probably find my posts on them! haha you've helped me a ton with processing so I'm glad I can share the knowledge :) I still use a lot of the techniques you showed me!

Looks like a perfect example of "what goes around comes around", but, in a good way!

I'm still using most of the processing things I shared with you also.

Just completed the two downloads. I'll try it out as soon as I get the time.

Thanks again,

Steve
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Steve, really pleased your new set up is coming together. I've used APT since I started and now with PHD2 so this thread has provided so many useful hints and tips! Cheers!

I set up and control my CGX with the Celestron CPWI software and show the camera sensor dimensions in Stellarium. But I have to polar align with an eyepiece since I cant see the computer screen from where the telescope is. So your setup configuration with the pc in the house and a remote laptop at the telescope is something I am going to have to copy. It would mean complete control and no more sitting in the garage freezing cold all night!

The APT file naming is quite simple once you see how it's done and plate solving is a definite requirement. It enables you to, once on target, move the mount to improve image composition apart from anything else. I haven't cracked blind solving yet but that's not needed if you know your target coordinates. And the blind solve software offers to send your image to nova.astrometry.net/ if it fails.

Looking forward to seeing the images you capture with your new camera and new setup.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

STEVE333 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:40 am
Baskevo wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:14 am
STEVE333 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:04 am What would i do without you! You are saving me an incredible amount of time.

Cheers,
Steve

Looks like a perfect example of "what goes around comes around", but, in a good way!

I'm still using most of the processing things I shared with you also.

Just completed the two downloads. I'll try it out as soon as I get the time.

Thanks again,

Steve

Keep us updated and let us know how it goes!

Graeme1858 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:11 am
But I have to polar align with an eyepiece since I cant see the computer screen from where the telescope is. So your setup configuration with the pc in the house and a remote laptop at the telescope is something I am going to have to copy. It would mean complete control and no more sitting in the garage freezing cold all night!

Graeme, you have a guide scope you use with PHD2, I'm assuming? Have you tried using SharpCap to polar align? It has saved me so much time and only cost me I think $15. Absolutely worth every penny!
-James W.

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Baskevo wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:30 am Graeme, you have a guide scope you use with PHD2, I'm assuming? Have you tried using SharpCap to polar align? It has saved me so much time and only cost me I think $15. Absolutely worth every penny!

I was lucky to receive a very nice Celestorn 80mm guidescope for Christmas. And I have Sharpcap, no longer pro since the licence ran out. And I've played with DARV in APT (which works quite well too) but unless I'm missing something all software options require me to centre the alignment star on the pc screen in the garage, go out to the telescope and move one of the mount alignment knobs, go back into the garage and check position, go back out to the telescope to twist a knob, go back into the garage, etc. What I do instead is balance the rig with the camera in, swap the camera for an eyepiece, polar align with the hand controller, park the mount and then put the camera back in to set up and two star align with CPWI from the garage. I've tried doing it with the laptop at the mount but an eye piece seemed easier because of the wider field of view.

Am I missing a trick with my guidescope?

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Graeme1858 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:11 am Steve, really pleased your new set up is coming together. I've used APT since I started and now with PHD2 so this thread has provided so many useful hints and tips! Cheers!

I set up and control my CGX with the Celestron CPWI software and show the camera sensor dimensions in Stellarium. But I have to polar align with an eyepiece since I cant see the computer screen from where the telescope is. So your setup configuration with the pc in the house and a remote laptop at the telescope is something I am going to have to copy. It would mean complete control and no more sitting in the garage freezing cold all night!

The APT file naming is quite simple once you see how it's done and plate solving is a definite requirement. It enables you to, once on target, move the mount to improve image composition apart from anything else. I haven't cracked blind solving yet but that's not needed if you know your target coordinates. And the blind solve software offers to send your image to nova.astrometry.net/ if it fails.

Looking forward to seeing the images you capture with your new camera and new setup.

Regards

Graeme

Hi Graeme - Glad my pain has brought some comfort to you :greetings-clapyellow: . Don't know where I would be without the help from James!

It turns out that the Remote Desktop approach hasn't worked for me. The signal from my router isn't strong enough to give a reliable connection for the laptop when it is out at the telescope (it hangs up). Too bad, because that would have been a big help. Hopefully it will work for you.

My new mount (CEM40) has a polar alignment tool called iPolar (from iOptron) that is basically like the Polemaster. I take the laptop out to the telescope, plug in the usb connection, and perform Polar Alignment in a couple of minutes. Possibly Polemaster would work for you? I use 9 min subs right now and the stars are tight, so, the alignment is quite good.

I'm getting the hang of the APT file naming. At first I didn't know where my files were going!!

I've downloaded the required files for the plate solving. Now I just need to give it a try and see if I "connected it together" properly.

So many little pieces to this hobby. I think that is one of the things that keeps me so interested. :confusion-confused: :techie-reference:

Look forward to hearing how your setup and processes evolve. I find it interesting that, with all the amateur astrophotographers out there, there aren't two "identical" setups anywhere in the world. We all have different connections, different conditions, different approaches to using the same equipment. What a fascinating hobby!

Cheers,
Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

James - I've learned how to control the speed with the APT NSEW buttons.
Hans, from the APT Forum, passed along the following information:

In APT go to: Tools tab/APT Settings/Scope & Focuser then enter the following data

Scope m' (fast) speed 0.06685237 (16x sidereal)
Scope s" (slow) speed 0.03342618 (8x sidereal)

When I did this for my setup I was able to move the mount with the NSEW buttons!!
Tonight I'll check to see if the speeds are appropriate or need to be changed.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

The more I learn about APT (and I'm still learning, thanks, Steve), the more I realize that it's the best $21 bucks I ever spent! The best part is, Ivo just keeps making it better and better.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Latest issue. This time it's with Plate Solving in APT. All my other APT issues have been resolved, so, i'm sure this one will be too.

In APT i've downloaded PlateSolve 2.28 and unzipped it.
I've downloaded UCAC3PS and unzipped.
I started PlateSolve2.exe and went to File/Config Catalog Directories and selected the UCAC3PS directory. Status OK.

In APT I went to the Point Craft Settings and selected the proper path for PlateSolve2.
I then went to the Image tab in APT and opened an image from a previous night's TemporaryStorage folder and tried to use Point Craft. I had the proper image center coordinates. However, when I clicked on Solve it times out without finding a solution.

Help!! Any ideas?

Steve
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Not sure Steve.

I also use Pointcraft, but not Platesolve2. I have blind solved using All Sky Plate Solver (also with APT) from the beginning. Blind solving quickly solves any previous image also without having to enter the coordinated.
When I plate solve on a target, my camera sweet spot is 3 seconds at iso 3200. Solves every time in about 10 seconds.

My workflow is just like James, except I have to align the mount using "Quick Align" which is no real alignment at all. Just pushing a button on the HC.
My mount will not start tracking until I align. Then, plate solve to a bright star to focus with the batinov aid, then plate solve to the target.

Did you install All Sky Plate Solver? Might want to give it a try while you are at it. I would have tried Platesolve2, but I have had 100% success with ASPS and solved so quickly, so why change?
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

STEVE333 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:37 pm Latest issue. This time it's with Plate Solving in APT. All my other APT issues have been resolved, so, i'm sure this one will be too.

In APT i've downloaded PlateSolve 2.28 and unzipped it.
I've downloaded UCAC3PS and unzipped.
I started PlateSolve2.exe and went to File/Config Catalog Directories and selected the UCAC3PS directory. Status OK.

In APT I went to the Point Craft Settings and selected the proper path for PlateSolve2.
I then went to the Image tab in APT and opened an image from a previous night's TemporaryStorage folder and tried to use Point Craft. I had the proper image center coordinates. However, when I clicked on Solve it times out without finding a solution.

Help!! Any ideas?

Steve

Hmm Steve I've never done it with an image from a previous night before. Maybe that is only done with blind solving? (I'm not sure what is different about blind solving, so that could be what it is) To be able to use blind solving, you have to install the other plate solving software/catalog. My guess is that will allow you to plate solve with previous images.

If that does not work, try this:
-Upload the previous picture file to astrometry.net to get the coordinates
-plug the coordinates into APT and select GoTo to slew to the coordinates
-After it's done slewing, take a 10 to 30 second image, stretch the preview image in APT
-Open pointcraft, type in the coordinates under "Current Image", select solve
-Select Sync
-Type in the coordinates again under "center FOV at position and then select GoTo++

I usually start my image acquisition with plate solving, and have never tried plate solving from a night that I did not plate solve to the specific coordinates. However, what I have done is frame targets in a way that is not centered, which would give you different RA/DEC coordinates. You can save those coordinates in APT to use for multiple nights, and plate solve to those specific coordinates later, which is very handy, so that is why I suggest getting the coordinates before trying to plate solve.
-James W.

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Steve,

Sorry I'm not going to be a lot of help here, but what I do remember is having to muck with where the UCAC files were located. It was difficult at first to understand where I needed to put them for plate solve to work. Eventually I figured it out. Right now, I don't remember where I put them.

JT

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

JayTee wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:20 am Hi Steve,

Sorry I'm not going to be a lot of help here, but what I do remember is having to muck with where the UCAC files were located. It was difficult at first to understand where I needed to put them for plate solve to work. Eventually I figured it out. Right now, I don't remember where I put them.

JT
Hi JT and Steve,

My UCAC3PS folder is in the root of C:\. As are PlateSolve2.28 and Platesolver.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/