Getting ready for first cooled CMOS sensor

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Getting ready for first cooled CMOS sensor

Post by XCalRocketMan »

yobbo89 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:20 am Nice camera, good price in comparison to other all in one camera/filter wheels. It has its pros and cons, any idea on the back focus for it? , it seems pretty compact and enough room for an oag and corrector.

Shouldn't be hard to just make an extra front part housing for it with an inbuilt oag or possibly a 7 filter version.
Back focus is 6.5mm (https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/pr ... 600mm-cool)
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Baskevo wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:08 pmThat is a good point about the filter wheel! I have the exact same bundle with an 8-position wheel, and I have been happy with it, other than the Oiii filter. Since they updated the filters, I haven't seen any bad reviews on them except for the Oiii, and a couple of really great reviews too. I have been really happy with them so far. I get a few star halos, but personally I think they add character to images :) Even the Oiii has given me some good frames.

I kind of wish I went with the mounted 1.25" filters though. I think they would be a lot easier to install in the filter wheel. 31mm is REALLY tiny and can be difficult to install. Once installed though, they are great :) I'm not sure if there is any disadvantage to the 1.25" mounted.

Here's another tip for you: remember which filter position you install each filter in. The filter wheel has numbered positions, and ASCOM knows which position is which. I wasn't paying attention, and I had to uninstall everything to find out which were my color filters :oops:

Glad to hear a good report on the new filters. I saw one other review and they also liked the new filters. They did mention that the Oiii still had some halos, and, that is why I've decided to try the Baader 4.5 nm Oiii filter.

Your account of putting the filters in made me laugh. I can laugh because I've done similar things in the past. I will definitely keep track of which filter goes where. In fact I'm going to put them in as:
1) Sii
2) Ha
3) Oiii
4) L
5) R
6) G
7) B

which seems like a logical order and easy to remember.

Cheers,
Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
jrm_astro
Earth Ambassador

Post by jrm_astro »

Hi Steve,

I have just been through this process myself and I'm slowly getting on top of it. I have been using APT, it has some great features.
STEVE333 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:38 am Hi James - I'm pretty excited. No more Darks Library and spending a day or two taking Darks with the DSLR in an insulated "lunch bag" with ice.

I guess the Gain/Offset information will be in the manual? I have no idea how to set those. However, like everything else, hopefully it will become clearer once I actually get started.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Steve
The gain and offset can easily be set in APT or if you are running ASCOM they can be set there too.
I find it easier to use APT settings as you can see in the camera tab what they are before you click the GO button.

Best of luck with it!

Cheers

John
Scope - Skywatcher ED80
Mount - Skywatcher HEQ5
Guiding - Orion 50mm guide with ZWO ASI120MM-S
Imaging - ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool, ZWO Filter wheel, LRGB, Ha Sii Oiii and Dark frame filters
Software - APT, PS2, ASPS, PHD2, BYE, ASCOM, Stellarium, PI, PS.
Sky - Bortle 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

jrm_astro wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:02 am The gain and offset can easily be set in APT or if you are running ASCOM they can be set there too.
I find it easier to use APT settings as you can see in the camera tab what they are before you click the GO button.

Best of luck with it!

Cheers

John

Thanks for the encouragement John.

What I was trying to say was that I have no idea what VALUES to set for the Gain and Offset. For Gain it looks like values from 150 - 200 are typical. I don't have any ideas what value to use for Offset. Hopefully it will become obvious once I start using the camera.

We can watch each other's progress as we "muddle along" together.

Cheers,
Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Hi Steve - I'll add a +1 for APT. Like you, I have been using BYEOS since I started down the AP rabbit hole, and it has served me well. Recently I have been thinking about two things - a dedicated astrocam, and being able to sleep at night while I image. These two ideas led me to think about changing up the camera control.

I have since put the new camera on hold, but am still interested in the "sleep while I image" idea. APT has an automated meridian flip that works quite well, and wasn't too painful to set up for the first time, so I look forward to naps at night while imaging.

APTs Baht mask focusing tool works as well for me as (or better than) BYEOS also. I did have to replace Astrotortilla, which integrated well with BYEOS, with the two programs APT likes, PS2 and All Sky Plate Solver, but they weren't too hard to get running either.

My first complete run with automated flip, and a somewhat complicated capture plan (multiple exposure lengths in sequence coordinated with dithering at the appropriate time) was the M42 image I posted up yesterday. So far, so good. I am looking forward to seeing what you pull in with your new setup!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Thanks for sharing part of your "journey" with APT Bob. I saw your nice image of M42, congratulations on the successful Meridian Flip! Since my awning prevents me from seeing the Western half of the sky I won't have to learn about the Meridian Flip (sigh!!!!). I haven't tried the Baht mask focussing tool. I used to use Bahtinov Grabber, but, eventually found it too sensitive to "size of window or brightness of spikes or ...". Now I just eyeball the centering and it seems to be working for me.

I still don't connect to my mount. I just get my aiming coordinates from Stellarium and use GoTo to position the scope. Has worked fine even for multiple nights imaging.

I still have a few things I need to learn about in APT (probably many things, but, I don't know enough about APT to realize how little I know). One is connecting to and controlling the filter wheel which I won't be able to do till the ZWO camera arrives. The second is the "folder structure" in APT. I think I understand it, but, will have to wait to get the ZWO camera to be able to fully test it out with the various filters.

Seems we all end up taking slightly different paths, but, we're all heading to the same goal - beautiful AP images. Nice to see we are all getting there.

Cheers,
Steve
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

XCalRocketMan wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:39 pm
yobbo89 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:20 am Nice camera, good price in comparison to other all in one camera/filter wheels. It has its pros and cons, any idea on the back focus for it? , it seems pretty compact and enough room for an oag and corrector.

Shouldn't be hard to just make an extra front part housing for it with an inbuilt oag or possibly a 7 filter version.
in reference to the gt model is what i was after,ie what's left over including the inbuilt filter wheel.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

yobbo89 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:38 pm
XCalRocketMan wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:39 pm

/quote]
[

in reference to the gt model is what i was after,ie what's left over including the inbuilt filter wheel.

If you go to the link below there are several "thumbnail images" that you can scroll through and click on to see an enlarged view. If you scroll through the thumbnails you will find one that shows mechanical dimensions of the package. It shows the distance from the CMOS to the front of the package = 26.50 mm.

https://www.highpointscientific.com/zwo ... -asi1600gt

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Cheers,
Xteve
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

Steve got it ... the filter wheel adds 20mm, hence, 6.5+20 = 26.50mm
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Just to add to that offset question. I use 50 because it is easy and always leaves a 'front porch' on the histogram, you don't want to clip off the faintest stuff, that's where the data is at. I read somewhere that Zwo was going to fix the offset at 50 on their newest firmware release, but can't find the reference. Gain can still be set, many like 139 and others swear to use 300, so I picked 200 as a compromise. You can work out what you like, just give it 6 months of messing around with the camera.

Good luck,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

sdbodin wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:01 am Just to add to that offset question. I use 50 because it is easy and always leaves a 'front porch' on the histogram, you don't want to clip off the faintest stuff, that's where the data is at. I read somewhere that Zwo was going to fix the offset at 50 on their newest firmware release, but can't find the reference. Gain can still be set, many like 139 and others swear to use 300, so I picked 200 as a compromise. You can work out what you like, just give it 6 months of messing around with the camera.

Good luck,
Steve
Yeah, I'm thinking Offset of 50 is the answer. Since I will be using the ASCOM driver (since SGP and ZWO are both steering us away from the native driver) I need a single Offset since you can't set offset on a per-event basis with ASCOM. I also find that Gain of 300 is generally too high since the dynamic range gets really squeezed. I use 139 on LRGB and 200 on NB.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

XCalRocketMan wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:07 am
sdbodin wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:01 am Just to add to that offset question. I use 50 because it is easy and always leaves a 'front porch' on the histogram, you don't want to clip off the faintest stuff, that's where the data is at. I read somewhere that Zwo was going to fix the offset at 50 on their newest firmware release, but can't find the reference. Gain can still be set, many like 139 and others swear to use 300, so I picked 200 as a compromise. You can work out what you like, just give it 6 months of messing around with the camera.

Good luck,
Steve

Yeah, I'm thinking Offset of 50 is the answer. Since I will be using the ASCOM driver (since SGP and ZWO are both steering us away from the native driver) I need a single Offset since you can't set offset on a per-event basis with ASCOM. I also find that Gain of 300 is generally too high since the dynamic range gets really squeezed. I use 139 on LRGB and 200 on NB.

Thanks guys, that really helps. I'm thinking OFFSET = 50, GAIN = 200 for my NB imaging. I feel better already.

Cheers,
Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Just a little update on the APT learning:

I performed two dithering experiments. In each case I allowed the system to dither about 20 times. I then used DSS to measure the dX and dY dither positions for each sub. I then found the average of the DX values and subtracted that from all dX readings. I did the same for the dY readings. This determines the centroid of the random or spiral ditherings. The distance of each dither from the centroid is what I refer to as the "dither distances" in the discussion below.

DITHERING:
1) For APT Dither Distance = 5 and PHD2 Dither Scale = 1 the maximum measured dither distance was about 10 or 11 guide camera pixels.
2) For APT Dither Distance = 2 and PHD2 Dither Scale = 1 the maximum measured dither distance was about 4 guide camera pixels.

So, if the PHD2 Dither Scale = 1.0 it appears that the maximum dithering distance in guide camera pixels will be 2 x (APT Dither Distance ).

By the way: The guiding will dither either in random directions, or, in a spiral. The point is that this dither distance can be in arbitrary directions, so, the peak-to-peak dither distance will be twice the

Just FYI.

Cheers,
Steve
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Okay, so you're telling us this info in GUIDE camera pixels, not IMAGING camera pixels. It's the imaging camera that matters.

Am I missing something?

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

JayTee wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:27 pm Okay, so you're telling us this info in GUIDE camera pixels, not IMAGING camera pixels. It's the imaging camera that matters.

Am I missing something?

Cheers,
JT

You are right JT.

The dithering in Guide Pixels is:

Di = Dg x (FLt/FLg) x (Pg/Pi)

where:
Di = dithering in imaging camera pixels
Dg = dithering in guide camera pixels
FLt = imaging telescope focal length
FLg = guide telescope focal length
Pg = size of guide camera pixel
Pi = size of imaging camera pixel

Because so many of these variables vary from system to system, APT sidesteps all of this by just talking about dithering in terms of guide camera pixels.

EXAMPLE:
For my setup:
FLt = 349 mm
FLg = 160 mm
Pg = 5.2 um
Pi = 5.2 um
APT Dither Distance = 2, and, PHD Dither Scale = 1, so Dg = 4

Di = Dg x (349/160) x (5.2/5.2) = 4 x 2.18 x 1 = 8.72 image camera pixels.

If this is confusing you can understand why APT decided to sidestep all these issues.

Cheers,
Steve
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks Steve for laying it out this way.

You got me thinking that I am probably way over dithering using an APT Dither Distance of 3 with a PHD2 Dither Scale of 1 with my 1:5 imaging scale.
3 * 714/160 * 5.2/3.9= 17.9
I was thinking 3 guide camera pixels (about 15 total pixels dithered). I am really moving a total of 35+ pixels!
Maybe trimming back will improve my settling time!

Thanks!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:41 am Thanks Steve for laying it out this way.

You got me thinking that I am probably way over dithering using an APT Dither Distance of 3 with a PHD2 Dither Scale of 1 with my 1:5 imaging scale.
3 * 714/160 * 5.2/3.9= 17.9
I was thinking 3 guide camera pixels (about 15 total pixels dithered). I am really moving a total of 35+ pixels!
Maybe trimming back will improve my settling time!

Thanks!

You're welcome Jim - This is really the first time I've thought it through all the way. The other night (first time using APT) I noticed that it looked like very large dither motions. So, I started the analysis and used the data from that first night and that's when I found the dithering to be so large.

When I changed the APT Dither Distance to 2 the guiding recovered almost immediately and, still, all the airplane and satellite trails were removed during the Integration process. For my system that corresponds to a random direction dither of up to 8.7 pixels, and, I think that's where I will stay. It's nice to know what the settings really mean!

Glad it is useful for you. I also would expect your settling time to be reduced.

Cheers,
Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Another step forward in the preparation for the cooled camera/filter wheel setup. Today, for the first time, I've successfully connected my mount to the computer!! This step was no longer optional because, with the laptop inside, performing the 1-star alignment requires me to watch the Live View (inside the house) while the RA axis is adjusted (with the hand controller at the mount outside) to put the star in the center of the FOV. Obviously I couldn't be inside and outside at the same time. Controlling the mount from inside the house solves the problem. The mount is also connected to APT so I can use the APT controls to move the telescope (GoTo, Sync, etc). I'm "warming up" to this APT software. :romance-adore:

This really is a journey and not a sprint with lots of little successes/failures along the way. :face desk:

Cheers,
Steve
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

STEVE333 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:46 am Another step forward in the preparation for the cooled camera/filter wheel setup. Today, for the first time, I've successfully connected my mount to the computer!! This step was no longer optional because, with the laptop inside, performing the 1-star alignment requires me to watch the Live View (inside the house) while the RA axis is adjusted (with the hand controller at the mount outside) to put the star in the center of the FOV. Obviously I couldn't be inside and outside at the same time. Controlling the mount from inside the house solves the problem. The mount is also connected to APT so I can use the APT controls to move the telescope (GoTo, Sync, etc). I'm "warming up" to this APT software. :romance-adore:

This really is a journey and not a sprint with lots of little successes/failures along the way. :face desk:

Cheers,
Steve

Very cool! What program are you using to control the mount? EQMod?

Have you plate solved yet? ;)
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Baskevo wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:43 am
Very cool! What program are you using to control the mount? EQMod?

Have you plate solved yet? ;)

iOptron recommends using ASCOM so I downloaded the latest version of that.

Then they recommended downloading:
FTDI USB to RS232 VCP driver from internet
(https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm)

Finally I had to get drivers from iOptron for the CEM40.

Once all that was done I started APT and clicked on the "Connect Scope" button, selected the iOptron driver in a drop-down list, and, connection was made. I can now control the mount from APT. Cool!!!!!

This might be obvious to younger APers, but, a major triumph for my generation!

I haven't plate solved from within APT. I may look into it,but, once the system is properly aligned, going to specific coordinates has worked well for me, and, I'll probably stick with it. I also use the "Sync" capability to complete the 1-star alignment, so, no plate solve required there either. Maybe I'm just stuck with old-fashioned ways of doing things.

Cheers,

Steve