Good Value: Neewer Ball and Socket Head

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Good Value: Neewer Ball and Socket Head

Post by OzEclipse »

I just bought a couple of Neewer Ball and socket heads for the princely sum of USD20 each.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/38218511935 ... PED.R1.TR2

I wasn't looking for anything too solid, just wanted a simple small lightweight heads to hold and adjust a small laser pointer and a small 20mm finder. They arrived and they are much bigger, better and more solid than I expected. It has one azimuth lock and two ball locks. You adjust one to provide friction so the ball doesn't flop and moves smoothly and the other to lock it in place. The camera, or whatever, is attached via an Arca Swiss quick release plate.
Neewer-B&S-IMG_0813.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 11.08.29 am.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 11.08.52 am.png
Haven't used them yet for AP but they are rated at 8kg and though that might be optimistic, they look like they would easily hold a heavy DSLR with short tele lens <2kg quite rigidly.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)