Having a hard time finding a particular spacer...

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Having a hard time finding a particular spacer...

Post by UlteriorModem »

Just got a new ZWO OAG and have it all put together. But it's overall spacing is 55.5mm. Just a tad too long.

What I need is an M42 male thread to M48 female thread less thickness than the 16.5mm ones I have. 12-15mm would be perfect!

Any leads?

Thanks!
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Having a hard time finding a particular spacer...

Post by KathyNS »

Have you tried Precise Parts? They can be pricy, but they can whip up any adapter.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

I don't know if it will come to that but thanks Kathy. I would hate to pay 50 bucks just to shave off a few mm.

Besides I looked it up and evidently I am within tolerance for the focal reducer of 51.5mm +/- 5mm. So I am 'inside' by 1mm :)

I saw some adaptors that were 8mm but that would be too thin as the Camera in the OAG would hit the imaging camera.
Tom

Current Equipment:
JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

Why not just sand off the 5? It will come off so quickly, you won't believe it.
I ground off some of my adapter that was too long. As long as the threads go in far enough to be there once it's to length, you should be all set.
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

That's not a bad idea! and I have 2 of the 16.5mm adaptors so if I botch it somehow I sill have another.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

Just use a block of wood to keep it square while you're doing it and take your time.
You may want to do some, check for improvement and then continue.
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

I have access to a belt and or disc sander. Also a large collection of sanding blocks in all kinds of grades. Should be easy!
Tom

Current Equipment:
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

UlteriorModem wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:30 pm I have access to a belt and or disc sander. Also a large collection of sanding blocks in all kinds of grades. Should be easy!
Let us know how it turns out, please.

Thanks,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Well I can report it worked just fine!

I did it manually with a sanding block and 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper. It probably took about 1/2 hour of sanding to remove 1 mm. I just sanded in a circular motion, rotating the ring occasionally. Came out nice and square and flat. Lots of breaks and checking with the calipers. In real time I spread it over two days of work.

After that I washed it with warm soapy water to get rid of the aluminum dust. Then taped it all up to protect the threads, and painted the raw metal with satin black, just so it would look pretty.

My spacing now calculates out to 53.5mm which is well within the 51.5 + / - 5mm. The camera itself has 17.5mm of back focus which makes it a bit of a challenge.

The ZWO OAG works out great with the M48 threads allows me to put the filter behind the prism. No more issues with low signal on the guide camera with the narrow band filter :) It then threads directly onto the field flattener for a nice solid setup. Now when I go to store it I remove the FF and the rest of the assembly in one piece. Very easy to get it indexed between sessions!

Image20200126_131916 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

Image20200126_131932 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

Previously I had some stars way out on the corners / edges that were showing some coma. Now... well I don't know, wont have a chance to check it until Wednesday with any luck.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

Glad it worked out for you!
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

get a lathe tom :lol:
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

yobbo89 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:58 pm get a lathe tom :lol:
I have access to one of those too. I just did not feel like driving over to the shop. I just sanded away while watching Netflix :D
Tom

Current Equipment:
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Well had a chance to test it and I need to shave off more or find some shorter rings.

Here is a star field I shot. Click it a couple of times to zoom in and look at the corners.

ImageField 1 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

Here is what ccd inspector had to say about it.

ImageCurve 4 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

Here is a measurement before the shortening of about 2mm. There was some improvement!

ImageCurve 1 by Tom Whit, on Flickr
Tom

Current Equipment:
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Well done Tom!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

UlteriorModem wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:42 pm Well had a chance to test it and I need to shave off more or find some shorter rings.

Here is a star field I shot. Click it a couple of times to zoom in and look at the corners.

ImageField 1 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

Here is what ccd inspector had to say about it.

ImageCurve 4 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

Here is a measurement before the shortening of about 2mm. There was some improvement!

ImageCurve 1 by Tom Whit, on Flickr
If 1mm got the curvature from 41mm to 31mm maybe you need another 3mm to get the curvature to zero? Just a guess.

Congratulations on your approach.

Cheers,
Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Bigzmey wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:10 amWell done Tom!

Thanks, I plan on taking one of the rings to the shop and shaving it down to 12mm, another 3 mm. Then test that.

I cant shorten it much more than that because the OAG body would hit the camera body.

The back focus of the ASI071mc has proven to be a real challenge at 17.5mm. That's a rough starting point! Add to that the OAG at 16.5mm, and the filter width of 5mm.

Anyhow plan to go shave one down to 12mm and 'might' get a chance to test things out on Sunday. Stay tuned :D
Tom

Current Equipment:
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

I took the ring over to the shop and chucked it into the lathe. Only took a few minutes to turn it down to 12mm.

Once installed I found I overshot the reduction spacing which is now at 50.5 mm with is inside the 51.5 stated requirement for the Field Flattener. But hopefully it will be close enough.

Unfortunately it is not supposed to clear up until after midnight tonight. So maybe tomorrow (Sunday) I might get a chance to test it.
Tom

Current Equipment:
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Hope it works Tom. You have put a fair amount of work into this.

Fortunately you have the spare spacer if you need it.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

UlteriorModem wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:20 pm I took the ring over to the shop and chucked it into the lathe. Only took a few minutes to turn it down to 12mm.

Once installed I found I overshot the reduction spacing which is now at 50.5 mm with is inside the 51.5 stated requirement for the Field Flattener. But hopefully it will be close enough.

Unfortunately it is not supposed to clear up until after midnight tonight. So maybe tomorrow (Sunday) I might get a chance to test it.
It's super easy to overshoot the mark if you don't use the lathe every day.
Hard to believe just how little it takes to remove the Al.
Good luck on the final figuring.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Thanks, the over shoot was more of a mistake in my math :D That and the final finishing took a little more off.

If I have to I will purchase another ring and turn it down. But I think the 40.5mm spacing should be okay.
Tom

Current Equipment: