I want to glue in a filter...

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

I want to glue in a filter...

Post by UlteriorModem »

On my current setup with the 130APO the 'first' thing in the imaging train is the UV/IR cut filter.

The filter is a 2" M48 thread that threads directly onto the field flattener. No problem, except that the filters retention bezel ring fills all of the female thread and not enough threads showing to be able to thread it onto the FR. So... I removed the retention bezel and just thread the filter onto the FR being careful to not let the filter fall out.

Thing is though the threads on the FR are not long enough to 'secure' the filter in place so it is free to wobble around in there a little. Not the best of situations.

So I would like to gently tack glue the filter into its ring. But I of course don't want to ruin the filter with some kind of chemical reaction or glazing.

Do you think a dab of white glue would work?

Any other recommendations?
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: I want to glue in a filter...

Post by JimMinCT »

Could you cut a small piece of cardstock, color it black with a sharpie, and make a thin ring to go around the outside of the filter?
This would take up the extra space, but not be permanent...
A thought...
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
smeyer8015
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by smeyer8015 »

How about a thin o-ring?
Celestron Classic 8, Old Sears 60mm f/15 refractor, Old Edmund Scientific 6 inch F/8 newt, GSO 2" Diag, ES 30mm/70, ES 25mm/70, Orion 32 Super Plossl, Mead 24mm MA,
X-Cel LX 18mm, Luminos 15mm, F/6.3 reducer, Luminos 2.5x barlow, Telrad, Celestron 9x50 RACI, DIY Baader Solar Filter, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Bresser EXOS-2 Goto, Revolution Imager R1

No trees were killed in the sending of this post. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

Black electrician tape would work well. Can add layers until you get the right fit then trim off any excess with a hobby knife. A more permanent way of solving your problem maybe?
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I tried white glue but the filter glass came loose easly. Ended up using Aleene's flexible stretchable fabric glue, since I had some. Tested on an old broken filter first and it worked quite well.

Spread a thin layer on the filter ring then dropped the glass into place and let it dry overnight.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aleene-s-Fle ... 9ebdf761d1
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro