What battery should I get?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
StarGazer45
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

What battery should I get?

Post by StarGazer45 »

Knowing all the AP equipment I narrowed down here:https: //theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.php?style=4&f=24&t=5739&start=80

There is just one more thing that I need a bit separate from that: a power supply. I'm lost on what ports it needs to have :? .

It should have a mount port and a computer port, as I don't have a laptop. Should it have any more ports?

Thank you very much,
Manuel R.

Telescope: 76/350 newtonian Mount: Alt-azimuthal for the 76/350 Camera: Bresser MikrOkular Full HD and iPhone 5S Filters: solar filter for the 76/350 Eyepieces: H4mm, H10mm, H20mm, Barlow lens x2

Blog: https://universeastronomyandstufflikethat.blogspot.com/
Sky: Bortle 5
StarGazer45
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: What battery should I get?

Post by StarGazer45 »

StarGazer45 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:07 pm Knowing all the AP equipment I narrowed down here: viewtopic.php?style=4&f=24&t=5739&start=80

There is just one more thing that I need a bit separate from that: a power supply. I'm lost on what ports it needs to have :? .

It should have a mount port and a computer port, as I don't have a laptop. Should it have any more ports?

Thank you very much,
I didn't put the link OK. :)
Manuel R.

Telescope: 76/350 newtonian Mount: Alt-azimuthal for the 76/350 Camera: Bresser MikrOkular Full HD and iPhone 5S Filters: solar filter for the 76/350 Eyepieces: H4mm, H10mm, H20mm, Barlow lens x2

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

If you are looking for a power supply, you need it to be able to power all your equipment. So, make a list of what equipment you have that needs power, and how much it needs. There's the mount, obviously. Cameras? Will you be using a DSLR or a dedicated astro camera? If the latter, does it need its own power or will it take power from the USB port? Same for the guide camera, if you will be using one. Anything else that needs power? Focuser? Filter wheel? Will you be running dew heaters?

Batteries have no problem delivering lots of amps. The question you need to ask is how long you want to run for. The total number of amps that you need for all devices, multiplied by the number of hours that you want to run it, gives you the total amp-hours that the battery needs to supply. Since you don't want to run the battery down to zero, you should add a comfortable margin to this number. Doubling it is a good guess.

You need to decide how you are going to distribute the power. Some people make up distrubution boxes at the battery, with a separate cable to each device. Another way to do it, that minimizes cable management, is to run a single cable from the battery to a distribution box on the mount, and then run shorter cables from there to each device.

You may want to standardize your connectors. The big, clunky cigarette lighter style connectors and not only big and clunky, they also do not make a reliable connection. There's nothing more frustrating than to have a session cut short by a slipped power cable to the mount. Some people use them anyway. Others select a different connector type. I use Powerpole connectors, which are small and make a positive connection.

I run my observatory equipment on a single 12-volt, 35-amp plug-in power supply. It has a single cable to the pier, where I have a distribution box with five outputs, all using Powerpoles.

In the field, I run off a 12-volt marine deep-cycle battery with a 69 amp-hour capacity. I have single cable from the battery to a small distribution box, using Powerpoles, into which I plug my mounts and any other 12-volt gear I may need. In the field, I run my DSLR off its internal battery, with a spare in my kit box.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
StarGazer45
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by StarGazer45 »

The DSLR, auto guider and mount will be connected to the computer. Will that mean that if I get a power supply with a just USB port everything will have power?

About 12 hours a week would be fine.
Manuel R.

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

I don't know your equipment. Typically USB will not provide enough power for a mount. If the device has a 12-volt power input jack, you should supply it with 12 volts. Some astro cameras do not have a power input: they get their power from the USB. So open your equipment manuals and find out what they need.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

StarGazer45 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:39 pm The DSLR, auto guider and mount will be connected to the computer. Will that mean that if I get a power supply with a just USB port everything will have power?

Specifically, the DSLR will not take power from the USB connection. It needs its own power, which is typically not 12 volts. It can run off its internal battery, or you can get a 12 volt converter to run it off the main battery. The guider is small enough that it probably doesn't need external power. Unless it has a power jack, you can assume that it will get its power from the computer' USB output. The mount certainly will not draw power from USB. It has large motors moving significant weight, so it needs real power. It needs a 12 volt power input.

A power supply with just a USB port will be useless. Anything that needs power via USB will get it from the computer. Everything else will need 12 volts. So you want a battery with a 12 volt output.
StarGazer45
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by StarGazer45 »

KathyNS wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:46 pm
StarGazer45 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:39 pm The DSLR, auto guider and mount will be connected to the computer. Will that mean that if I get a power supply with a just USB port everything will have power?

Specifically, the DSLR will not take power from the USB connection. It needs its own power, which is typically not 12 volts. It can run off its internal battery, or you can get a 12 volt converter to run it off the main battery. The guider is small enough that it probably doesn't need external power. Unless it has a power jack, you can assume that it will get its power from the computer' USB output. The mount certainly will not draw power from USB. It has large motors moving significant weight, so it needs real power. It needs a 12 volt power input.

A power supply with just a USB port will be useless. Anything that needs power via USB will get it from the computer. Everything else will need 12 volts. So you want a battery with a 12 volt output.
OK. So I need a power supply with a USB port and a mount port. What kind of port does a CGX mount need for power?

This one, more exactly: https://www.astroshop.es/ecuatorial-con ... r_1_select
Manuel R.

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

I don't understand why you want the battery to have a USB port. Unless you need to charge your phone during a session. The device USB cables plug into the computer, not into a power supply. If you don't plug them into the computer, nothing will work.

Your mount should have come with a power cable. The most common type has a centre-positive barrel connector at the mount end, and a "cigarette-lighter" type plug at the other. So your battery should have a cigarette-lighter outlet.

Most of the ones on the market now have a USB port, so you can charge your phone, but, again, you don't want to plug your astro gear in there, because the cameras and accessories are expecting a computer at the other end of the cable, not a battery.
StarGazer45
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by StarGazer45 »

Unfortunately for me, I have a computer that has to be constantly charged to work, so I need a USB connecter to charge it. I just asked the staff agents about the power supply cable and the ports and I'm waiting for their response.
Manuel R.

Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

The Celestron power packs have a 5v USB output and cigarette lighter ports. It should not have a problem charging a little but not from a dead battery. You can get a 12v > 5v buck convertor to power your laptop further. I have a 5a at 5v supply from the 12vdc connection that feeds everything.

You can never have enough battery power in the field. Maybe you can run from your car's battery, if away from home.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

StarGazer45 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:10 pm Unfortunately for me, I have a computer that has to be constantly charged to work, so I need a USB connecter to charge it. I just asked the staff agents about the power supply cable and the ports and I'm waiting for their response.
Ah, now I understand!

Make sure that the USB port on the battery will supply enough amps for the computer. Check your computer manual to see how much it needs. Running a computer from an external battery requires a lot more power than you would need for a normal imaging setup. Make sure you calculate your energy requirements and get a big enough battery.
StarGazer45
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by StarGazer45 »

I've been looking around for these batteries but I can only find a few that don't fit my requirements. Do you know any sites?
Manuel R.

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Mac wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:17 pm Maybe you can run from your car's battery, if away from home.
I don't recommend that! There's nothing worse than packing up your gear at your remote Bortle-2 site and finding out that the car won't start because you ran the battery down. I have done it for a minimal-equipment session that I knew would not last more than 20 minutes, but I don't recommend it.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

StarGazer45 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:32 pm I've been looking around for these batteries but I can only find a few that don't fit my requirements. Do you know any sites?
If you could give us some numbers for the power requirements of your equipment, it would be easier to make recommendations. Any company that sells automotive equipment will have booster batteries that might (or might not) power your equipment. If your power requirement is more than such a battery can handle, the same companies will sell marine deep-cycle batteries in various sizes. But to be specific, we need numbers.
StarGazer45
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by StarGazer45 »

If not even the car battery :eek: can sustain all of that, what or how can I do it?
Manuel R.

StarGazer45
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by StarGazer45 »

KathyNS wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:35 pm
StarGazer45 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:32 pm I've been looking around for these batteries but I can only find a few that don't fit my requirements. Do you know any sites?
If you could give us some numbers for the power requirements of your equipment, it would be easier to make recommendations. Any company that sells automotive equipment will have booster batteries that might (or might not) power your equipment. If your power requirement is more than such a battery can handle, the same companies will sell marine deep-cycle batteries in various sizes. But to be specific, we need numbers.
Excuse me, but I have zero knowledge on how to calculate the approximate energy consumption of all the equipment. :|
Manuel R.

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

StarGazer45 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:41 pm Excuse me, but I have zero knowledge on how to calculate the approximate energy consumption of all the equipment. :|
Each piece of equipment, in its specifications (usually found in the manual), will state what its power requirements are, in volts and amps. You add up all the amps of all the 12-volt equipment, and that is how much your battery needs to supply. We can do the arithmetic for you, but we don't have the specifications of your equipment.

Typically, a 17 amp-hour battery (a common size) will last for an evening's session, but this is very variable, depending on what equipment you have. I use a 69 amp-hour battery, and it lasts me for a weekend.
StarGazer45
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by StarGazer45 »

KathyNS wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:25 pm
StarGazer45 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:41 pm Excuse me, but I have zero knowledge on how to calculate the approximate energy consumption of all the equipment. :|
Each piece of equipment, in its specifications (usually found in the manual), will state what its power requirements are, in volts and amps. You add up all the amps of all the 12-volt equipment, and that is how much your battery needs to supply. We can do the arithmetic for you, but we don't have the specifications of your equipment.

Typically, a 17 amp-hour battery (a common size) will last for an evening's session, but this is very variable, depending on what equipment you have. I use a 69 amp-hour battery, and it lasts me for a weekend.
How much did the 69-amp hour cost?
Manuel R.

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

StarGazer45 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:44 pm How much did the 69-amp hour cost?
I don't remember. I think it was something like $120.