What should I buy next? :D

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

What should I buy next? :D

Post by Baskevo »

Hi y'all,

Just got a nice bonus. I am debating what I should go for next...

I am using a Celestron AVX mount. It isn't horribly bad, and I can get around 6 - 7 minute exposures on a good night. I am shooting narrowband mostly at home in a bortle 8/9, so I need the long exposures.
I am also using ZWO 31mm filters with my ASI1600mm Pro mono CMOS. They are the newer versions of the filters, so a lot of the issues that people had with them aren't present, at least not that I've seen, but I do still get some small star halos, but they don't ruin the image. My Oiii filter has something weird going on with it, but it might be an easy fix...
I am using a Explore Scientific 80mm Triplet APO FCD100 Refractor with a 2.5" Hex focuser, which has been okay... I have had to exchange it a few times because of issues, but my new one has been fine, other than not having a plug-and-play field flattener.

So here are my options:
1) Sell the AVX for around $600-$700, and purchase a better mount, like the EQ6-R Pro.
2) Sell the filters for $200-$300, purchase a bit-better quality filter set like Optolong or something (I would love Astrodon but they are way too pricy)
3) Purchase a Moonlite focuser for my OTA and get an electronic focuser

I'm leaning toward the mount or the filters... but I do not know if the Optolong or another brand will be worth the extra cash or if the benefit would be marginal. I am also not sure if the better mount would make a world of difference. The focuser would be nice, but I don't really have to refocus my images during the night so it would kind of seem like a lot of money for a little extra work... The 2.5" Hex is pretty good, especially after I tightened it up. Stays in focus even from the night before, for the most part.

What do you guys think would give me the most benefit out of those 3 options? I'm also open to other suggestions. Thanks for the advice!
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: What should I buy next? :D

Post by JayTee »

Hi James,

While reading your post and prior to getting to the options, after having looked at all the equipment you currently own, I was thinking all you need now is to buy a plot of land at a very dark location. But then I saw your options so that threw that suggestion out the window. Let me think on this.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

ProfEclipse United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by ProfEclipse »

I’d say go for the mount. The extra capacity will open up future gift possibilities. :)
Equipment: Celestron C6 Newt, Celestron Advanced VX, ASI ZWO1600MM-Cool, Orion Mini Deluxe Pro Autoguider

Current Home:
Retirement Home:
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Yeah, I'm with the Prof here.

Remember that average optics and filters on a great mount can take great images but excellent optics and filters on a mediocre mount will take mediocre images. Get the mount.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

JayTee wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:03 pm Hi James,

While reading your post and prior to getting to the options, after having looked at all the equipment you currently own, I was thinking all you need now is to buy a plot of land at a very dark location. But then I saw your options so that threw that suggestion out the window. Let me think on this.

Cheers,
JT
Hah! Someday hopefully!!

I think the new mount is the best option, too. Thanks for the advice guys :) I'm nervous to move away from Celestron... but everyone recommends the EQ6-R Pro over the CGEM II. But the functionality is pretty much the same right? as far as the software, ASCOM, PEC training, etc.
-James W.

TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

I'd say go for the mount too, I will probably do the same with my upgrade situation. It opens up more future possibilities.
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

This is the same mount isn't it?? It's on sale right now at amazon :o
-James W.

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Not exactly, the difference between the 6R and the 6R Pro is just a few slight differences. The Pro has an illuminated polar scope and better electronic connections, no RS-232 ports. They use the RJ45 connectors now for the Pro. This is how they justify the $200 difference between the two. Actually, I would pay the extra $200 for the newer type of connections and the polar scope.

Cheers,
JT

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

JayTee wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:36 am Not exactly, the difference between the 6R and the 6R Pro is just a few slight differences. The Pro has an illuminated polar scope and better electronic connections, no RS-232 ports. They use the RJ45 connectors now for the Pro. This is how they justify the $200 difference between the two. Actually, I would pay the extra $200 for the newer type of connections and the polar scope.

Cheers,
JT
Are you sure that isn't the pro?? It says it's usually 1595 with $250 off, it also says it has the USB-B connection, and "BUILT-IN POLAR FINDERSCOPE: Built-in illuminated polar finderscope provides quick and easy polar alignment." It doesn't say anything about the RS-232 port... I thought the same thing you did, but all the specs look identical to the pro! And the picture shows the EQ6-R Pro

Here is a question answered on amazon for the EQ6-R:

"Is this the latest version with the usb port on the mount? also, can someone confirm if this has illuminated polar or not?"
Answers:
"Yes on both questions. Love this mount. "
"I got the USB version when I ordered this. Yes the alignment is illuminated."
"The latest version does have a built-in USB-B port. The polar scope is also illuminated."

and another one:
"Q: Is this the eq6r pro? all the reviews and comments are for the eq6r, if i order, will i receive the pro version?
A: There is only one version of the EQ6-R. The entire name is EQ6-R Pro, we call it EQ6-R for short. Yes, you will get the Pro version."

I emailed highpointscientific.com to see if they will price match... Hopefully they can confirm.
Amazon also offers a free return, so if it isn't the pro version I just have to send it back :)
-James W.

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

So with the EQ6-R Pro, I wouldn't be able to connect the mount with USB? I would have to get an adapter to control the mount with my computer..? Do I have to use the ST-4 port, because that would suck! I love the control I have with CPWI...
-James W.

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

my bet is that the oiii filter is the weakest link , you really need 3nm, oiii lets in the most lp light.i have a 6 nm astronomik and it's far better then the cheaper baader filter, the rest of my filters are badder.The 6nm isn't quite enough though. i need to sell all my filters though and get ''parfocals'' for my oag or go back to a guide scope.

so if you don't need parfocal filters ''the only reason you would need a set is for an oag'' then i suggest looking for a better oiii filter.

is a CGX in a budget ? i little too much for a tiny 80mm triplet but adds some "future proof" to the platform an eq6 r is fine also but doesn't have spring loaded worms.

a electronic focuser is a must have.especially for bigger scopes when 1 deg in temp change causes focus to go soft.smaller scopes tend to be less problematic in temperature drop and hold their focus a little better.for automation regardless of focus shift from temp, a electronic focuser is a lot faster then a bahtinov and the numbers get you to that critical focus every time.

i vote for new mount and look into completing that automation setup (usb filter wheel/focuser) so you can just sleep or go out while the scope runs haha and then deal with the filters last.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

yobbo89 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:21 am my bet is that the oiii filter is the weakest link , you really need 3nm, oiii lets in the most lp light.i have a 6 nm astronomik and it's far better then the cheaper baader filter, the rest of my filters are badder.The 6nm isn't quite enough though. i need to sell all my filters though and get ''parfocals'' for my oag or go back to a guide scope.

so if you don't need parfocal filters ''the only reason you would need a set is for an oag'' then i suggest looking for a better oiii filter.

is a CGX in a budget ? i little too much for a tiny 80mm triplet but adds some "future proof" to the platform an eq6 r is fine also but doesn't have spring loaded worms.

a electronic focuser is a must have.especially for bigger scopes when 1 deg in temp change causes focus to go soft.smaller scopes tend to be less problematic in temperature drop and hold their focus a little better.for automation regardless of focus shift from temp, a electronic focuser is a lot faster then a bahtinov and the numbers get you to that critical focus every time.

i vote for new mount and look into completing that automation setup (usb filter wheel/focuser) so you can just sleep or go out while the scope runs haha and then deal with the filters last.
That's a good idea. The Oiii is the one I have the most trouble with. I really enjoy my Sii and Ha at 7nm, they work really well! The Oiii has this like dark spot on the edge of one side of the frame. I was able to get it out with DBE on my rosette image. the artifact isn't present in my flats either, so I'm not sure why I am getting it.

I would love a CGX, but it's too expensive :( Maybe a used one... I've seen them used for the same price as the EQ6-R pro. I don't know if I need that much bulk though... and if that amazon price is the real deal, I'm just going to go for that!

Maybe I'll use that extra $250 to invest in the ZWO Electronic automatic focuser. I already have the EFW, so the EAF would be the last thing to be fully automated :D The 2.5" hex focuser has been great so far, especially after I tightened the screws!

Thanks for the advice Yobbo! I think I'm going with the mount. I asked on the product page on amazon if it was in fact the EQ6-R pro, and they say it is! I'm going to sleep on it and decide tomorrow :)
-James W.

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

I read through the list and thought "Focuser" and maybe automating focus as well.

If you are getting 6-7 minutes with the AVX, I'd be tempted not to mess with it, unless you are thinking of upgrading the scope down the road. If you are going to a larger OTA down the road, then, by all means, go for the mount!

Bob

PS: I am always available with advice on how to spend other peoples money :)
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Thanks Bob... I can get 6 to 7 minutes on a good night, but I hardly ever have a good night around here. For example, my last image, I probably could've cut out a lot of the frames because the RMS for DEC and RA were very far apart from each other, which resulted in some egg shaped stars...

Highpoint said they would price match the mount! I'm going to do it :)
-James W.

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Sounds good, James. I'm sure you will enjoy the new mount!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Just ordered! I'm so excited! Sorry Californians for the clouds that are likely to plague our skies for the next week or so :)
-James W.

ProfEclipse United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by ProfEclipse »

Congratulations! My wife gives me “the look” if I even think about mentioning a new mount. :eusa-naughty:
Equipment: Celestron C6 Newt, Celestron Advanced VX, ASI ZWO1600MM-Cool, Orion Mini Deluxe Pro Autoguider

Current Home:
Retirement Home:
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

ProfEclipse wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:47 am Congratulations! My wife gives me “the look” if I even think about mentioning a new mount. :eusa-naughty:
Haha my lady does the same... I justify it pretty well though. "I'll sell my current mount, plus some accessories I won't need, only pay so much out of pocket, which means less time outside and more time inside giving you back rubs!" xD
-James W.

TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Congrats James :)
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Thanks butcher!

Do you guys think that the extension pier for $80 is worth it?
-James W.