Help with Canon T3i

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Kerry C. United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Help with Canon T3i

Post by Kerry C. »

Thank you in advance...
I have tried searching the forum for Canon T3i setup for solar system photography using the Nexstar 8SE. I haven’t had any luck so far. Could someone post a good link for beginners. I want to start out with something large in the sky like the moon and sun (even though the sun isn’t showing any spots right now).
I know the basics of setting up the telescope as in aligning so it will track. I actually set it up to track the sun today...pretty cool for me.
I have the T mount and ring for the camera and have attached it with the camera a few times, so I am familiar with that also.
I have joined a local astronomy club and I know they will help, but they don’t meet for a weeks or so.

Again, thanks in advance,
Kerry

Scopes; William Optics GT 81mm Triplet, TS Optics APO 102mm f/7refractor, Cestron Nexstar 8SE, Gskyer 80mm x 400mm refractor
Mount; Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro
Cameras; ZWO ASI 2600MC Pro, QHY5iii462C, ZWO ASI224MC, Canon 600D DSLR T3i.
Guide scope; ZWO 60280 f/4.6
Guide camera; ASI290mm mini
Filters; Optolong L-eXtreme 2”, Optolong L-Pro 2”, QHYCCD IR/CUT, QHYCCD IR850
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Help with Canon T3i

Post by JayTee »

Hi Kerry,

The easiest way to do this is to download the free trial of either Backyard EOS (BYE), or Astro Photography Tool (APT). Both have full-feature 30-day trials. A lot of folks like the user interface of BYE but APT is the more capable title.

Both of these pieces of software will help you acquire the images for planetary imaging and automate the process. It'll take a little bit of learning on your part but no more than about 30 minutes.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

BE CAREFUL!!!
I can't stress this point enough.
Be sure you are using a reputable solar filter, and have the scope stopped down to a reasonable size. (Solar scopes aren't big, in case you hadn't noticed.) 2"-3" is fine.
Old Sol is a pretty big target that can incinerate both your scope, and your eye in milliseconds if not given full respect.
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
Kerry C. United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

JayTee wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:53 pm Hi Kerry,

The easiest way to do this is to download the free trial of either Backyard EOS (BYE), or Astro Photography Tool (APT). Both have full-feature 30-day trials. A lot of folks like the user interface of BYE but APT is the more capable title.

Both of these pieces of software will help you acquire the images for planetary imaging and automate the process. It'll take a little bit of learning on your part but no more than about 30 minutes.

Cheers,
JT
Sweet!
Thanks JT, I will look at both of those.
Kerry
JimMinCT wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:11 pm BE CAREFUL!!!
I can't stress this point enough.
Be sure you are using a reputable solar filter, and have the scope stopped down to a reasonable size. (Solar scopes aren't big, in case you hadn't noticed.) 2"-3" is fine.
Old Sol is a pretty big target that can incinerate both your scope, and your eye in milliseconds if not given full respect.
Jim, thank you for the warning concerns.
I purchased the Celestron solar filter recommended for the Nexstar 8SE.
I used it today with amazing results.

Kerry

Scopes; William Optics GT 81mm Triplet, TS Optics APO 102mm f/7refractor, Cestron Nexstar 8SE, Gskyer 80mm x 400mm refractor
Mount; Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro
Cameras; ZWO ASI 2600MC Pro, QHY5iii462C, ZWO ASI224MC, Canon 600D DSLR T3i.
Guide scope; ZWO 60280 f/4.6
Guide camera; ASI290mm mini
Filters; Optolong L-eXtreme 2”, Optolong L-Pro 2”, QHYCCD IR/CUT, QHYCCD IR850
Hikescdnrckys
Earth Ambassador

Post by Hikescdnrckys »

I second JayTee's suggetion re Backyard EOS, it's great software and very easy to use for beginners. There are also YouTube videos that demonstrate all the functions of the product by the developer himself (seehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3gkw8bx7Aw. It's also reasonably priced.
Celestron Evolution 9.25 (affectionately called Clara)
Edmund Scientific Astroscan (Kristin - 25 yrs old and still truckin!)
iOptron SkyGuider with ADM Pier-Zeq Extension (cause I am gettin' old)
Canon t6i Unmodded DSLR
ZWO ASI224MC Camera

Enjoying the dark skies in Northern Bruce Peninsula, Ont.