Help Me Choose My New "Santa Approved" AP Mount!

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Help Me Choose My New "Santa Approved" AP Mount!

Post by JayTee »

Well, it happened. Santa was very generous this year and this (along with the CFO's permission) has given me the funds to go forward in acquiring a new mount for AP.

Envelope please, here are the four top contenders that will keep me from going over $2,700 (all except one).

1) Celestron CGX
2) iOptron CEM 60
3) iOptron CEM 40EC
4) SW EQ6R Pro

Here's the data grid.
Grid.jpg
So if you own one of these and had to choose again based on the other mounts I have listed would you make the same choice? I would love to hear why. Also if you have an addition to make please chime in.

Thanks in advance. Both me and my sanity thank you.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Help Me Choose My New "Santa Approved" AP Mount!

Post by Baskevo »

I vote CGX :D That's what I want eventually, but I am a total noob lol and I can't give you a reason over the others, except for what you've already said in the notes!

I bet you are excited though! I can't wait to see what you get with the new mount, JayTee!
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
luker78
Earth Ambassador

Post by luker78 »

I have a skywatcher heq5 right now and I would love to upgrade to the EQ 6R.... Very nice mount.
Scopes: 6" skywatcher Newtonian
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5
Camera: Canon modified XSi
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

a few questions, ideal telescope you would put on it now and future telescope if you ever happend to upgrade it? satellite tracking ?

The cgx has spring loaded worms which is realy ideal to tune out any imperfections from eccentric worm wheels this should give you better tracking on meridian flips as well without the need to shift the counterweights, you could say it's competition would be the eq6-r in terms of spec, but you can see the price is higher with the cgx then the eq6-r and i have no doubt that the cgx will outperform the eq6 , i don't think the eq6 is spring loaded.

I would get the cgx if you plan to really load some weight on it.
other then that the cem 60 and 40 have a lot of good features and are lighter and would be a good choice for portability.

I think they all have sort of internal cables or cable management except for the eq6.

payload list

CGX EQUATORIAL 55 lbs (25 kg)
EQ6-R Pro 44lbs (19.9kg)
CEM60 60 lb (27.2kg) not including counter weights
CEM40-EC 39 lb (18 kg)
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Ohhhh…. "not including counterweights" that is SO cheating!!!

I have the CGX-L which is the bigger brother of the CGX and am very pleased with it.

It tracks well, very aware of where it is pointing. Plate solve and synchs seamlessly. And has a good weight rating. They are able to track well past the meridian giving you more time before a flip is required. It is ruggedly built. Mine stays outdoors, covered, 24/7 365 (except for hurricanes). After a couple of years out there it still looks good except for a few galvanized screws that show signs of rust.

The only downside is the goofy polar alignment scope which is an add on (purchased separately) that sort of clamps to the side of the mount and MUST be removed after alignment. Otherwise it will have a pier crash. You can work without the PA scope if you can get initial setup in the ball park then fine tune the alignment with drift alignment. I personally got the scope to get me close(r) at first. Think I have used it twice.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

yobbo89 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:16 pm a few questions, ideal telescope you would put on it now and future telescope if you ever happen to upgrade it? satellite tracking?
Great question. Should have included that in the original post.

At this time and for the foreseeable future, I will use this mount to move two different AP OTAs. My 80mm APO and my 6" RC. Both of these OTAs weighs less than 15lbs, so weight isn't really a factor. Satellite tracking has never really been a goal.
UlteriorModem wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:55 pmThe only downside is the goofy polar alignment scope which is an add on (purchased separately) that sort of clamps to the side of the mount and MUST be removed after alignment. Otherwise, it will have a pier crash. You can work without the PA scope if you can get initial setup in the ballpark then fine-tune the alignment with drift alignment. I personally got the scope to get me close(r) at first. Think I have used it twice.
I've never really needed a polar scope before so I don't see that as a big factor.

Honestly, right now I'm leaning toward the CGX.

[mention]JimMinCT[/mention] What do you think?

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Can't comment on which mount to pick, but very excited for you! :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

A couple more questions, ET...

Do you have a pier? The CEM60 does not come with a tripod for the price quoted.
But I have a pier and don't need to buy a tripod. That may be where some of the price increase comes from...
I do like my CGX, but I did have to play with the gear train to get it to track better. Something that I think
should have been done before I got it for the price.
Frankly, I'm not sure I would have gotten the CGX if the CEM60 was priced that low at the time.
I don't remember seeing it. And I looked at everything for months...
How attached are you to Celestron? I understand that is a big thing. I am as well. I love the ASPA routine, and I know the menu on the HC... :)
Are you willing to learn some new stuff?
Answering these might help you along a bit. The CEM60 is a very nice mount.
Richard, Kathy, and Scott all love their CEM40's...
Maybe ask one of them as well.
Cheers and good luck!
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

I've been leaning toward a Losmandy mount for my future dream system. Have you considered one of them?
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

I've been leaning toward a Losmandy mount for my future dream system. Have you considered one of them? Maybe something like
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... html/specs
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

JimMinCT wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:22 am A couple more questions, ET...
1) Do you have a pier? The CEM60 does not come with a tripod for the price quoted.
2) How attached are you to Celestron? I understand that is a big thing. I am as well. I love the ASPA routine, and I know the menu on the HC... :)
3) Are you willing to learn some new stuff?
1) Good point on the pier. I should have picked up on that fact. Here's the one I think would work well given my light payload: https://optcorp.com/products/ioptron-tri-pier
2) I've actually wanted the CEM 60 for longer than the CGX. It was your excellent results from the CGX that swayed me in that direction.
3) I pride myself on being an equal opportunity employer of all manufacturers. So learning "new stuff" is fun for me.
AntennaGuy wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:47 amI've been leaning toward a Losmandy mount for my future dream system. Have you considered one of them? Maybe something like https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... html/specs
Thanks for the input AG. I did look at this mount but over the years I've heard more complaints than praises for Losmandy mounts. The other detractor is that both axes are worm driven and not belt driven.
That beautiful mount falls into my dream category (but not listed) from a previous post as it is nearly double ($4,700) from what I can afford.
Dream: 10 Micron, MESU 200
Plan A: CEM 60 EC, CGX-L, SW EQ8R Pro
Plan B: CGX, SW EQ6R Pro, CEM 40 EC

So at this point, I'm now leaning toward the CEM60 but I'm remembering Hondo's (Scott) troubles in initially setting up this mount. [mention]Hondo[/mention] what say you?

Thanks all, the gears are still turning in my head on this one. No definitive direction yet.

Cheers,
JT

Micke187 Sweden
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Micke187 »

I have looked alot on the eq8r- pro for myself as it looks like a really good mount for the money. After looking at astrobackyards review of the mount im really leaning on getting one in the near future. The benefits for me if i get a eq8r is that its eqmod supported. So for me its almost a plug-play for knowing how the program works as iive always used eqmod.
yeah its a little bit more then your budget but if i were in your shoes i would definitly save up some more and purchase one of the little higher end mount :)
TS-optics photoline 115mm triplet + 1.0x flattener
Guiding: qhy5lll APM 50mm guidescope
Main camera: ASI1600MM pro +Starlight xpress filterwheel (Ha,OIII, SII ,LRGB baader filter)
Mount: heq5 Rowan mod
Zwo EAF focuser
Programs: APT, DSS, PIxinsight, Nebulosity3, Phd2, CDC Eqmod
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Thanks Micke,

At this time I do not have a functioning AP EQ mount. Because of this, I feel compelled to move rather quickly and with two kids in college my ability to save additional money is somewhat limited. So as much as I would love to have an EQ8R Pro, I'm going to have to pass because of expediency.

Thanks again for your input,
JT

JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

As I mentioned earlier... frant, (Richard), and KathyNS are both also running CEM type mounts. Additional sources of info are never a bad thing.
Best of luck, ET!
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
Hondo Canada
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hondo »

JayTee wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:32 pm So at this point, I'm now leaning toward the CEM60 but I'm remembering Hondo's (Scott) troubles in initially setting up this mount. @Hondo what say you?

Thanks all, the gears are still turning in my head on this one. No definitive direction yet.

Cheers,
JT
Hi JT and congrats on your soon to be new mount. WRT my CEM60, it now performs exceptionally well. After much back and forth with Ioptron techs, I installed new control boards and adjusted the belts. I get an RMS of anywhere between the 0.30's (really good seeing) and the 0.60's (poor seeing). I usually average in the low 0.50's to 0.60's on most night. This is at 1255mm through my VRC-8 with an OAG. I throw away very few if any subs and my stars are round and tight. The one very important thing that I have found is to balance it completely neutral, no east heavy required and low aggression settings in PHD2. The mount performs best that way. Screen shot below is from a fairly recent outing. Congrats and good luck in whatever mount you choose.
Attachments
PHD2 CEM60 28 Oct 19 Bubble Nebula.JPG
Scott

CEM60 and EQ5 Synscan Mounts, Explore Scientific ED 102 CF APO FCD100 with SV .80 FF/FR & Motorized MoonLite Focuser, Mallincam VRC-8 Ritchey-Chrétien with CCDT67 & Motorized MoonLite Focuser, Orion ED80 with .85 FF/FR, Atik 383L+ Mono with EFW2 Filter Wheel, Baader 36 mm NB and LRGB Filters, QHY183M and Optolong LRGB and NB Filters, RV-6 Dynascope, a very understanding and loving wife, and an Automated Roll Off Roof Observatory
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Thanks Scott,

I think yours is the clencher post.

I've been Jonesing for CEM 60 for a while now and while the CGX did temporarily cloud my vision, I think it is now clear that the CEM60 is the way to go.

Thanks all, you've all been exceptionally helpful.

Cheers,
JT

PS [mention]KathyNS[/mention] and [mention]frant[/mention] there's still time to weigh in if you feel the need.... jt

Hondo Canada
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hondo »

You are welcome! One thing to add, if you do choose the CEM60 make sure it is the non-EC version. There have been and continue to be problems with the EC encoders, not only the CEM60 but all the CEM EC mounts.
Scott

CEM60 and EQ5 Synscan Mounts, Explore Scientific ED 102 CF APO FCD100 with SV .80 FF/FR & Motorized MoonLite Focuser, Mallincam VRC-8 Ritchey-Chrétien with CCDT67 & Motorized MoonLite Focuser, Orion ED80 with .85 FF/FR, Atik 383L+ Mono with EFW2 Filter Wheel, Baader 36 mm NB and LRGB Filters, QHY183M and Optolong LRGB and NB Filters, RV-6 Dynascope, a very understanding and loving wife, and an Automated Roll Off Roof Observatory
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hondo wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:20 am You are welcome! One thing to add, if you do choose the CEM60 make sure it is the non-EC version. There have been and continue to be problems with the EC encoders, not only the CEM60 but all the CEM EC mounts.
I had planned on that. I read the Open PHD Guiding Google group everyday and know exactly of what you are referring.

Thanks again,
JT

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

JayTee wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:55 am PS @KathyNS and @frant there's still time to weigh in if you feel the need.... jt
I don't have any opinion about the other mounts. I do like my CEM60. I just wish that my guiding graphs were as tight as Scott's. Still, my guiding tends to stay within one pixel on the imaging scope, so it's not too shabby.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin