Nikon DS3500

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Nikon DS3500

Post by Don Alvarez »

I saw B&H has a deal on these with an extra ED lens for less than $400. The 70-300 ED lens alone seems to go for $400 by itself when not on sale, so I'm thinking this is a good deal. Anybody have any opinions or experience with these cameras? Online reviews for these camera's doesn't seem to take astro into account, but mind you, I'm not looking for a dedicated Astro camera, just something general purpose (which reviews indicate it is pretty good for) that will occasionally be used for astrophotography, more often than not with just the camera lenses.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 720fc18fba
Telescopes: 10" SkyLine Dobsonian, 6" Apertura F5 Newt, Celestron Nextar GT90, Meade Infinity 80
EP: 5.5mm, 8.8mm, 14mm, 20mm, 24mm Meade 5000 UWA's, BCO's w/ Q-Turret, 26mm, 32mm, 40mm Meade 4000 Plossls, Orion Expanse, 30mm, 20mm, 15mm GSO Superview, Various others.
Binocs: 15x70 Celestron Skymaster, 10x50 Levenhuk Karma Pro, 10x42 Bushnell, 8x42 Sans & Streiffe
Mounts: Meade LX70 with dual axis motors, Celestron GT, More miscellaneous tripods than a Martian invasion.

"The heavens themselves, the planets, and this center observe degree, priority, and place,
Insisture, course, proportion, season, form, office, and custom, in all line of order.”
Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Nikon DS3500

Post by Piet Le Roux »

The Nikon D3500 has a nice 24 mega pixel sensor I am not sure if it is a Sony or Hitachi. I have a Nikon D5300 that is very similar. The first problem I encountered with it was the the 60mm in-focus that it needs, could not get focus with my Newtonian and if you want to add a reducer you got more problems. With the GSO 0.5 reducer you cannot get focus. The camera is a single lens reflex and you cannot lock the mirror. It has a flash sync of 1/250 of a second which is very high but with it comes a lot of shutter shock, and that not good when trying to photograph the moon. I still use my D5300 for landscape but for AP got a Fujifilm X-T100 thats also at a good price but slightly more than the Nikon. It is mirrorless and has a electronic non mechanical shutter option, needs only 20mm in-focus and has a excellent 24 Meg Sony sensor.
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

Piet Le Roux wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:14 pm The Nikon D3500 has a nice 24 mega pixel sensor I am not sure if it is a Sony or Hitachi. I have a Nikon D5300 that is very similar. The first problem I encountered with it was the the 60mm in-focus that it needs, could not get focus with my Newtonian and if you want to add a reducer you got more problems. With the GSO 0.5 reducer you cannot get focus. The camera is a single lens reflex and you cannot lock the mirror. It has a flash sync of 1/250 of a second which is very high but with it comes a lot of shutter shock, and that not good when trying to photograph the moon. I still use my D5300 for landscape but for AP got a Fujifilm X-T100 thats also at a good price but slightly more than the Nikon. It is mirrorless and has a electronic non mechanical shutter option, needs only 20mm in-focus and has a excellent 24 Meg Sony sensor.
I've read the sensor is made by Sony.

Not really looking to match it with a telescope, I have a ZWO I'm working with for that. I was more thinking the ED lens it came bundled with might be adequate for some deep sky stuff, and so was thinking I'd mount it directly on the LX70 or piggyback it and just use that.

Believe me, I understand this is entry level stuff and far from ideal, but the endgame has a price tag I'm not willing to pay just now. I'm just setting my foot on the path and deciding how far I really want to go with this. I'm sure ANY dslr is better than what I have for general picture taking. I was leaning towards a Canon T7 until I saw this bundle. I'd heard it suggested that using a DSLR with the camera lens instead of mating it to a telescope is a reasonable place to get started for AP, and I though the ED lens in this kit might work well for that.
Telescopes: 10" SkyLine Dobsonian, 6" Apertura F5 Newt, Celestron Nextar GT90, Meade Infinity 80
EP: 5.5mm, 8.8mm, 14mm, 20mm, 24mm Meade 5000 UWA's, BCO's w/ Q-Turret, 26mm, 32mm, 40mm Meade 4000 Plossls, Orion Expanse, 30mm, 20mm, 15mm GSO Superview, Various others.
Binocs: 15x70 Celestron Skymaster, 10x50 Levenhuk Karma Pro, 10x42 Bushnell, 8x42 Sans & Streiffe
Mounts: Meade LX70 with dual axis motors, Celestron GT, More miscellaneous tripods than a Martian invasion.

"The heavens themselves, the planets, and this center observe degree, priority, and place,
Insisture, course, proportion, season, form, office, and custom, in all line of order.”
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

A fun use for your GT mount and that DSLR is contained in this article. Scroll to the very end of the first post to look at the DSO pictures first.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3129

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

Thanks JT. I remember this from AF.net and had forgotten about it till now. If I can get pictures like that I'd be more than ecstatic.

Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

I am not yet that serious about AP to get something like a ZWO that can only be used for AP but I am interested in nightscape photography and the kit lens I got with the "entry level" X-T100 is a 15-45mm that should be good as a starter lens for that.
Here are some astronomy photos taken with the X-T100.....
https://www.astrobin.com/gear/85608/fujifilm-x-t100/
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hey DA,

I would think that the D3500 would be definitely a camera to consider.

I used a D3300 to start out with for AP and i was very happy with my results.
As far as I know, D3xxx series doesn’t support SDK which means that you will have have to the camera or an intervalometer for control.

If you decide to go with a PC and software later, Digicamcontrol does probably support it and it has worked well for me.

I bought a used D5300 body from EBAY and have been using it recently because it does support SDK and communicates well with Astro imaging software.

They both do very well for my expectations.

I am not trying to be great at AP, but just create images that look pretty good and make me happy.

Be aware, its very addictive and you will always have the urge to spend money even if its not in your budget!

Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck with your decision!

Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:07 pm

Be aware, its very addictive and you will always have the urge to spend money even if its not in your budget!

Just my 2 cents.

I am staring at the Buy Now button for a ZWO ASI274MC - don't click it keeps going through my head!
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:07 pm Hey DA,

I would think that the D3500 would be definitely a camera to consider.

I used a D3300 to start out with for AP and i was very happy with my results.
As far as I know, D3xxx series doesn’t support SDK which means that you will have have to the camera or an intervalometer for control.

If you decide to go with a PC and software later, Digicamcontrol does probably support it and it has worked well for me.

I bought a used D5300 body from EBAY and have been using it recently because it does support SDK and communicates well with Astro imaging software.

They both do very well for my expectations.

I am not trying to be great at AP, but just create images that look pretty good and make me happy.

Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck with your decision!

Jim
Well I'm going to find out, The deal ends at around 4PM today so I just up and pulled the trigger on it. I had been going back and forth between this and a more full featured camera at around $600 and in the ended decided the extra frills were comfort features I didn't really need or could work around for my intended use. If AP with this grows into a thing down the road I'll reevaluate my needs. For the time being, I'm confident I got a pretty good deal with the bundle from B&H, the extra lens I've read some reviews on and it gets good marks. I also spoke to a friend of mine who knows a bit about cameras and he seems to think for the bundle price its impossible to go wrong.

Mac: click that button

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

I had the D3400 and with kit lens last year paid close to $650. I sold it to a friend that wanted to get into photography and purchased the D7500.

That's a great deal and you'll get a lot of use for both AP and terrestrial.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Don Alvarez wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:45 pm
Mac: click that button

I think I am going to wait as there are more cameras just announced by ZWO.

I won't get much time to use it here in Ohio, although I have a trip planned to SC in January. I could survive a night or two in those temps.
Steve

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Congrats on the purchase. I know you will enjoy this camera and it should take awesome images for you.

Another tidbit for you, they actually make small Bahtinov masks for camera lenses. Get one, they're inexpensive. Focus especially on a wide-angle lens is both critical and difficult to achieve.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."