DSLR or Astro Camera?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
DanW
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

DSLR or Astro Camera?

Post by DanW »

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new camera and seeking advice. I'm planning a trip to the desert southwest next year (Arizona, Utah, New Mexico) and I'd like to try my hand at some nightscape/milky way photos. Budget is a concern. I'm leaning toward a Nikon D750 with maybe a NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G lens or a more budget oriented Rokinon 14mm f/2.8.

But, I'm also wondering if I should maybe go to something like a QHY168C with an adapter and similar lens. I'm currently without a camera to hang on my C8 and I'm thinking of adding a refractor to my equipment list so either camera would see use there.

I don't do a whole lot of terrestrial photography so there's no points for the DSLR in that respect. The D750 does have a larger imager which is a plus for the nightscapes, not so much for prime focus (a full frame QHY or similar is outside the budget). On the other hand, the QHY would pickup H-Alpha better than an unmodified D750...

So... Anyone have thoughts on the subject?

Thanks in advance,
:Dan
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: DSLR or Astro Camera?

Post by JayTee »

If you are out in the field taking nightscape images then the only way to go is with a DSLR. If you get the QHY camera you will need to drag a whole lot of other stuff out there with you, namely cables and a laptop at a minimum and most likely something to place the laptop on. Then there will be the need for extra batteries because you're going to be doing it for longer than an hour and your laptop will not only need to power itself, but also it will need to power the camera.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

DanW
Earth Ambassador

Post by DanW »

JayTee wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:15 pm If you are out in the field taking nightscape images then the only way to go is with a DSLR. If you get the QHY camera you will need to drag a whole lot of other stuff out there with you, namely cables and a laptop at a minimum and most likely something to place the laptop on. Then there will be the need for extra batteries because you're going to be doing it for longer than an hour and your laptop will not only need to power itself, but also it will need to power the camera.

Cheers,
JT
I should add that I have a slide in truck camper and plan to operate out of that. It can take me to remote enough areas that I can run a cord to the camper so power isn't an issue. At least that's the plan. Once there if I find a short hike from where I'm parked gives me better composition, I can see the advantages of a DSLR would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the input. I hadn't give much thought to that scenario.

:Dan
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Yeah, hiking with the QHY and all its associated gear may be a bit problematic.

JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Just as important, get a stable tripod so you can shoot the entire sky in sections. Stitch with ICE. That will give you mind blowing nightscapes of the entire MW with background.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images