Modifying Canon T3

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Modifying Canon T3

Post by UlteriorModem »

Here is my 2 cents...

Don't even attempt it …. Unless you are willing to risk loosing the camera altogether!

I have seen many times folks attempting this mod and failing irreparably!

If you don't mind failing then by all means give it a try. :D
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

yobbo89 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:10 pm
Baskevo wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:12 am
mactech wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:54 am

I am thinking the same thing James. I prefer to leave my D7500 for regular photography but have seen comments where users said they got better pictures with their DSLR vs. a AP monochrome or OSC. That will also provide the ability to install a focuser that I can control from inside.
You're saying upgrading to a mono will let you install an auto focuser? Why can't you do that with your DSLR?

Yeah I am in extremely bad light pollution. I purchased a DSLR strictly for AP, and I bought the top of the line one and a used canon. The more I think about it, the more I think my best option would be to sell the cameras and just buy a mono, because those 2 together isn't much less expensive than a mono camera. And while the accessories and filters (especially narrowband) would also be expensive, I would still want to get some of the filters anyway. I'll have to do some more research, but this sounds like the best option right now.
auto focusing software is best supported with astronomy cameras , only a few dlsr brands are supported in imaging/focus software, i guess thats what mactech is trying to imply .

having a colour camera has a lot of pros, night scape imaging,lunar eclipse,simplicity with imaging and processing. one should at least have some sort of osc camera in their kit in astrophotography in my opinion , but unused equipment is dead weight and best passed off for something you would use.

even in a very highly lp areas there are targets you can still image with a osc/dslr, m42,carina,omega,eagle,triffid,lagoon,tarantula ,sombrero and other bright galaxies and many open clusters.

Which OSC astro camera would you suggest yobbo?

If am thinking this one https://optcorp.com/products/zwo-asi294 ... mEALw_wcB
Last edited by Mac on Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Whats your budget?

I really like my ZWO ASI1600mc but I don't think it is available anymore. I guess the replacement is the ASI294mc ?

But yea there pretty pricey!

Oh don't forget you will probably need a filter. I used a Lum filter I already had. You can image without it but sometimes you will get internal reflections and star bloating.
Last edited by UlteriorModem on Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

UlteriorModem wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:54 pm Whats your budget?

I really like my ZWO ASI1600mc but I don't think it is available anymore. I guess the replacement is the ASI294mc ?
I just edited my post above just before you posted this recommendation

thanks
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Ugh I ninja edited mine too :D
Tom

Current Equipment:
SKEtrip United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SKEtrip »

mactech wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:31 pm
yobbo89 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:10 pm

auto focusing software is best supported with astronomy cameras , only a few dlsr brands are supported in imaging/focus software, i guess thats what mactech is trying to imply .

My Nikon is not well supported in AP, nor am I happy with Nikon's connectivity software. To put it bluntly, it sucks bad. Controlling my D7500 with Nikon's own software is often an issue so it's easy to see why 3rd parties may have them too.

The only way I can focus is using Liveview on the DSLR but it is unavailable when connected to software and the playback frame rate is terrible to get good focusing.
Agreed on the Nikon AP support - Sharpcap has a thread going about DSLR support, Robin wrote some updates for Cannon & basically left it at don't know if it will work for Nikon.
If you google it there is a post on CN describing how to get Nikon connected & after reading I decided it wasn't worth that much effort. I have a D5000 for photography & I enjoy pointing to the sky on occasion (once my father's hence will never be modded) & just run it off the camera with a remote (ir) shutter release and do OK with it.

I took the 11th as a vacation day for the Mercury transit (and ruined it for the entire US Central Plains) Clouded out I decided to see what would connect to the NIkon.
Sharpcap with the Cannon script was a non starter.
Digicam control (freeware) worked easily & well - autofocus worked very well with the Nikon lens attached. (I need to post the "transit" pics taken):
http://digicamcontrol.com/
APT software also worked - good shots with autofocus
NINA connected & showed a live view - didn't go any further with it.

There is also Backyard Nikon out there - never tried it though it has a 30 day free trial:
https://www.otelescope.com/files/file/7 ... ikon-2009/

Try one indoors on the next raining cloudy day/night & see if it "fits"
AD10, SV102T, AR127 & ST80
M2 & SW AZEQ6 GT Mounts
ES82 11 18 24, ES100 5.5 9 14 20, KK Orthos, BCO's, Vixen HR 2.4, 3.4 Vortex 10X50,
ACD 75 Astro Mutt - Rest in Peace Wubby
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein