My New Pole Master

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

My New Pole Master

Post by JayTee »

Hi,

This is kind of a repeat post but I think this new accessory demands a post that shows you how to achieve my new PA setup.

I currently own a ZWO ASI120MC and wanted to use it to accomplish a polar alignment (PA) in either SharpCap or PHD2. The problem being is that this sensor is so small that its FOV is also very small. The FOV is not big enough to take in enough sky to use the PA function in either SharpCap or PHD2. Even when using a 400mm FL guide scope (my shortest one). You can't use a DSLR for this function either. I've seen just a few posts around the internet where the poster attached a webcam to a DSLR lens with a specific adapter. To me, this seemed the only solution. It just so happens that ZWO sells just such an adapter to connect your Canon EOS EF lenses (they also have them for Nikons) directly to a ZWO camera. It's pretty simple, just get this part:
https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/pr ... t2-adapter
ZWO Lens3.jpg
Affixing it to your mount is another issue that has already been covered in a previous post.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: My New Pole Master

Post by Mac »

I have the same camera paired with an Orion 50mm 160mm FL guide scope. I would be curious to see images out of this setup and try it on my Nikon and wider angle lens if it yields good results.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

JayTee wrote: ↑Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:19 am Hi,

This is kind of a repeat post but I think this new accessory demands a post that shows how you how to achieve my new PA setup.

I currently own a ZWO ASI120MC and wanted to use it to accomplish a polar alignment (PA) in either SharpCap or PHD2. The problem being is that this sensor is so small that its FOV is also very small. The FOV is not big enough to take in enough sky to use the PA function in either SharpCap or PHD2. Even when using a 400mm FL guide scope (my shortest one). You can't use a DSLR for this function either. I've seen just a few posts around the internet where the poster attached a webcam to a DSLR lens with a specific adapter. To me, this seemed the only solution. It just so happens that ZWO sells just such an adapter to connect your Canon EOS EF lenses (they also have them for Nikons) directly to a ZWO camera. It's pretty simple, just get this part:
https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/pr ... t2-adapter
ZWO Lens3.jpg

Affixing it to your mount is another issue that has already been covered in a previous post.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
JT
You can use a DSLR for that. Use a 30 sec RA rotation to mark the center of rotation with a pierced piece of tape on your DSLR LCD. Then move the pierced hole to the NCP taking 3 second images with the Alt Az controls, using little known asterisms. It is the same idea as Sharpcap just without a computer.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

Love it!!! I wouldn't replace my PoleMaster with it, but I think it's cool how you thought outside the box, not a fan of that saying..., and made it happen 🀘
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!