Need advice: Explore Scientific or something else?

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Need advice: Explore Scientific or something else?

Post by Baskevo »

Hey guys,

So I have to send back my 3rd telescope from explore scientific, because of stripped screws and some markings on the glass. It is extremely frustrating and I'm pretty over ES between the bad OTAs and field flatteners. I know that I'm working with a budget, especially for astrophotography, but I think its reasonable to expect the products to be usable, right? Here's why I have to send the new one back, if you didn't see it in the other forum:
Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 6.45.24 PM.png
I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for any similar refractor telescopes, good for astrophotography, around the $800-$1100 range, that'll go well with the AVX mount? Or is the Explore Scientific 80mm FCD-100 the best bang for my buck?

Thanks.
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Need advice: Explore Scientific or something else?

Post by Refractordude »

Baskevo wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:18 am Hey guys,

So I have to send back my 3rd telescope from explore scientific, because of stripped screws and some markings on the glass. It is extremely frustrating and I'm pretty over ES between the bad OTAs and field flatteners. I know that I'm working with a budget, especially for astrophotography, but I think its reasonable to expect the products to be usable, right? Here's why I have to send the new one back, if you didn't see it in the other forum:

I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for any similar refractor telescopes, good for astrophotography, around the $800-$1100 range, that'll go well with the AVX mount? Or is the Explore Scientific 80mm FCD-100 the best bang for my buck?

Thanks.
Sorry to read of your bad luck with the ES scopes. I can not advise on what scope for astrophotography, just very surprised at ES quality control. Did you have to pay for return shipping? Sorry if the question is to personal, but I really need to know.
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

No I did not have to pay for return shipping, they've been really good about that. This is like the 5th thing I've had to send back to them, but I didn't have to pay shipping for any of it (except for an actual return on an item)
-James W.

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I would highly recommend either of the first two, the second is on sale at the moment.
The Astrotech has a good reputation and many reviews can be found for them.
After the second time returning a telescope for me, there never would have been a third time.

https://www.stellarvue.com/stellarvue-s ... refractor/
https://www.stellarvue.com/stellarvue-sv80-access/
https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech- ... l?___SID=U
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

I was looking at the astro-tech... I'm nervous though b/c I've gotten so comfortable with the ES 80mm... But it has been a huge pain. I'm going to sleep on it. Thanks for the advice, Lady Fraktor!
-James W.

Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Baskevo wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:18 am Hey guys,

Thanks.

I had to return my ED102 because of chipped lens. The chip was on the inside too. B&H replaced it promptly and when they did, the replacement came double-boxed. At that point I suspected I might have had someone else's return to B&H with the original scope which was single boxed and kind of beat up.

The replacement is perfect, as far as I can discern so far.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Most companies double box their telescopes for shipping, I would suspect the first one may have been a return.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:16 am I would highly recommend either of the first two, the second is on sale at the moment.
The Astrotech has a good reputation and many reviews can be found for them.
After the second time returning a telescope for me, there never would have been a third time.

https://www.stellarvue.com/stellarvue-s ... refractor/
https://www.stellarvue.com/stellarvue-sv80-access/
https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech- ... l?___SID=U
I would second Gabby on Stellarvue and with limited time sale on SV80-access, it is a steal! It is a doublet but well corrected, so many people use it for AP.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Sorry to hear about the problem with your ES scope. I think their reputation for quality is well known, so I am a bit surprised. My scope is fine though I bought it from lowjiber about 1.5 years ago. He shipped it at the UPS store and it came in good condition. I also bought a new Twilight II from B&H photo but it appeared to have been drop shipped from ES in Arkansas. Also was in good condition.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

Such a bummer James! As we've discussed, I've had good luck with my ES ED80. If I were you I'd also move on. Unfortunately, all I can recommend is the... Wait, never mind :)
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!
John Fitzgerald United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Fitzgerald »

My ES ED80 seems perfect also. I picked it up at the warehouse in Springdale, Arkansas.
Double and multiple star observer. Over 3,500 unique pairs logged.

No good deed goes unpunished.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I had two ES APO scopes in the past 127mm and 102mm. 102mm was purchased from HighPoint Scientific and 127mm straight from ES. Both are well made scopes with no quality issues. I also used a bunch of ES EPs over the years. No quality issues there either.

But, if I would receive 3 scopes in a row with issues I wold run from ES and never come back.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

I appreciate everyone's advice! I probably should have moved on, but Kent said he was checking it personally for me and would ship it the next day, and I didn't want to hassle with it... So hopefully this will be the last one! I still have the one with the stripped screws, with a loose dovetail, but it works, so at least I can get out this weekend for the new moon.

Thanks again y'all! I'll let you know how the new one is :)
-James W.

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Baskevo wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:53 am I appreciate everyone's advice! I probably should have moved on, but Kent said he was checking it personally for me and would ship it the next day, and I didn't want to hassle with it... So hopefully this will be the last one! I still have the one with the stripped screws, with a loose dovetail, but it works, so at least I can get out this weekend for the new moon.

Thanks again y'all! I'll let you know how the new one is :)
Good! Explore Scientific is a great company that brings affordable gear to market and supports our community. For instance, they were a regular vendor at the former RTMC astronomy expo and donated $2K worth of gear each time (FYI that's why the ES ED127CF is in my signature - door prize!). I bought an ED80, EQ Nano and FF from them, and indirectly a Comet Hunter and never had a problem. I read about some customer complaints such as only having online manuals but most of all their gear is good value for the money, good for us so hang in there! Your patience will be rewarded.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

I go into ES HQ from time to time and say hello, maybe buy something. They are all great people.

Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:14 pm Most companies double box their telescopes for shipping, I would suspect the first one may have been a return.
Yes, this made me very leery of purchasing from them again. I found others with similar complaints about them.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

I've talked to several vendors, and none of them routinely unbox and inspect before shipping. If there has been trouble on a previous order, or it's an extremely expensive purchase, and you request it, most will check it for you. I have requested such on an expensive mount, and they opened it and verified it was all there, and looked undamaged.
Chinese factories are spotty about QC, especially about letting scopes go with purely cosmetic blemishes, like dirty lenses and dirt on the paint, I have been told. Stripped screws are also a problem sometimes. All these things might happen eventually as a scope gets used, and a reasonably handy person can correct them. But, on a new scope at a new scope price, great serviceability is to be expected.
Kent's a great guy. They will make it right.

I have only ever had four scopes shipped to me in my entire 54 years of amateur astronomy. The shipped ones were all fine. All the rest were picked up in person, on drives up to four hours each way, or at even more distant star parties.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

John Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:38 am I've talked to several vendors, and none of them routinely unbox and inspect before shipping. If there has been trouble on a previous order, or it's an extremely expensive purchase, and you request it, most will check it for you. I have requested such on an expensive mount, and they opened it and verified it was all there, and looked undamaged.
Chinese factories are spotty about QC, especially about letting scopes go with purely cosmetic blemishes, like dirty lenses and dirt on the paint, I have been told. Stripped screws are also a problem sometimes. All these things might happen eventually as a scope gets used, and a reasonably handy person can correct them. But, on a new scope at a new scope price, great serviceability is to be expected.
Kent's a great guy. They will make it right.

I have only ever had four scopes shipped to me in my entire 54 years of amateur astronomy. The shipped ones were all fine. All the rest were picked up in person, on drives up to four hours each way, or at even more distant star parties.
Yes, drop shipping is common, and once in a while you will get a lemon. In this case however, after first scope returned they should have checked and make sure that the second they send is a good one.

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

I feel I have been pretty patient. The last month or 2 has been a struggle with ES. what frustrated me was 1) they didn't check the SECOND scope for me, to make sure there were no stripped screws, etc. as Bigzmey says they should have, 2) I won't have the new scope for this perfectly clear, moonless weekend for which I was planning my first dark site trip, and 3) I cannot get a flat field with their scopes without 85mm of back focus (I've tried 3 different ES scopes, 2 different cameras, 4 different 55mm-required flatteners), which took me 2 months to figure out

I understand a lot of people have a lot of loyalty for ES, I'm sure that the first 2 scopes were mistakes and part of the process, and Kent has been really great and super helpful. That, and the opportunity cost of dealing with another purchase, is why I chose to stick with ES, but it is getting tiresome. New ES scope isn't coming until Tuesday, and no matter if it is in good condition or not, it will be the last ES scope for a while.

I write it all off as the price of getting a somewhat decent astro photo :D (Hopefully, someday soonish maybe lol)
-James W.

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

ohh, what's going on there ? fibers? , almost every item i have purchased there has been some sort of minor debere ie aluminum stuck between lenses ectt, sometimes for whatever silly reasons some manufactures have been glueing the lock ring in so i can't pull apart my eyepieces or other items.the only immaculate item i have purchased was my sct given that i had to fix it a bit and zwo cameras
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .