Explore Scientific ED102

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Explore Scientific ED102

Post by JayTee »

Don't forget there are many pieces parts in the optical train. Don't rule out the possibility that your camera sensor is not perpendicular to the optical path. It could be a physical manifestation that translates into an optical one.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Baskevo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:39 pm
mactech wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:15 pm Do I need a FF/FR based on this image?

Stars are fairly sharp in the middle ( the best I have had on 30 sec exposure ) but you can see some elongation in the corners. It appears to be more pronounced on the top.
Seeing conditions were very poor on my first light with the new ED102 and the Moon was bright so the image is poor.

JU9_6201.jpg
The stars are elongated, so a Field Flattener would probably help at least a little bit. But it's up to you if it is worth it or not. Some people don't care about the elongated stars, while me personally it drives me crazy (I've been on a quest to get a perfectly flattened field with my 80mm for over a month with almost all of my hair pulled out now :D)

I just received my hotech Field Flattener, which some people say they have had results with, so let me try it out before you buy though!

It drives me bonkers and I just crop the edges to remove the worst of them.

My hair was gone 35 yrs ago so I have no such resort.

Thanks
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

JayTee wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:03 am Don't forget there are many pieces parts in the optical train. Don't rule out the possibility that your camera sensor is not perpendicular to the optical path. It could be a physical manifestation that translates into an optical one.

Cheers,
JT
It seems pretty solid connection and alignment. It would explain why the top is showing the issue more than the bottom.

Great point JT, thanks
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Juno16 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:01 am Yes, they are elongated at the corners.

Like James said, if you are shooting minimally cropped targets it is more of an issue than shooting a target that is small in your field of view and cropping will come into play.

I have the same issue with my ED102/dslr imaging setup, and I will go with a ff some day, but like I mentioned earlier in this thread, the Startools “Lens” module does a great job at rounding the errant corner stars. I don’t think that Startools will run on the mac os though but I’m not sure.

Thanks,
Jim
I have StarTools on my Mac and just downloaded it the other day. It requires a newer macOS version, which I have on an external SSD, so I am going to learn the ropes with that app.

Each time Apple updates their OS, it breaks something with older apps. Even my own app that I have been selling since 1984, no longer works on macOS 10.15 that just came out. It's a 32-bit app and Apple with their Billions of dollars just decided to eliminate them on their brand new shiny OS.

I run an older version of macOS because everything works :D Unfortunately the rest of the world has moved on.

I am going to see what I can do with Startools.

Thanks Jim.
Steve

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Pixinsight also runs on the Mac. It has a very confusing interface and I haven't even tried to process something in it.
Steve

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

I found a prior version of Startools to run on my current OS.

Trying to figure out how to use this LENS tool. The ED102 doesn't suffer from the CA that my Tamron 400mm zoom lens, so what are the best steps to flatten the image with LENS tool.
Steve

Ed217 United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ed217 »

Stellarmate is a product that may have some real promise. It uses a Raspberry PI device for scope control and access. The model they sell is a RP3. I decided to go with a newer RP4 with more memory, USB3 ports and better performance. Its network ready so you can use a laptop/tablet and control from a distance.

I have a new RP4 with the 2 USB2 and 2 USB3 ports along with 4GB of RAM. The OS loads fine and basic scope things seem to work. Its able to move my Celestron 8SE as well as working with the Celestron focus motor I have installed.

Still testing with camera things (Nikon and ASI224MC) and network settings. Its able to see the ZWO camera but gain and exposure seem wacky at best. The software release from a few weeks ago was mostly still born. The newer one from yesterday seems better, but still needs work.
Scopes: Celestron Nexstar 8SE, Celestron C6N, WO Z61, WO GT71, iOptron RC6 .
Mounts: Celestron Nexstar, iOptron Sky Guider Pro, iOptron HEM27 w/iPolar
Cameras: Nikon D780, Nikon Zfc ,ZWO ASI224MC, ZWO ASI120MM-S, ZWO ASI294MC Pro, ZWO ASI485MC, ZWO ASI174MM, ASI662MC, ASI294MM, ASI2600MC Pro iPhone 14.
Tools: Raspberry PI4 with Stellarmate OS, Intel NUC Mini PC, Beelink MiniPCs.
Accessories: Celestron focus motor, ZWO EAF focusers, F6.3 field reducer, assorted eyepieces, 11" video monitor, polar scopes, iOptron iPolar
Computers: Dell desktops, MacOS MacMini, ASUS laptop, Intel NUC, Beelink MiniPD, PI, assorted software packages, iPhones, iPads
My AstroBin Images: https://www.astrobin.com/users/EdDixonImages/
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

mactech wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:45 pm I found a prior version of Startools to run on my current OS.

Trying to figure out how to use this LENS tool. The ED102 doesn't suffer from the CA that my Tamron 400mm zoom lens, so what are the best steps to flatten the image with LENS tool.
After opening the LENS Module, all that I have done is to use the slider called "Curvature Linked". I have adjusted to about 135% most of the time and it has nicely rounded the "out of round" stars. You can use the zoom tool and zoom in to the corners and look at the image before and after. Be aware though, the LENS Module will also apply some automatic crop if needed. That feature can also be turned off if you want to really compare before and after effects on your image.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Ed217 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:47 pm Stellarmate is a product that may have some real promise. It uses a Raspberry PI device for scope control and access. The model they sell is a RP3. I decided to go with a newer RP4 with more memory, USB3 ports and better performance. Its network ready so you can use a laptop/tablet and control from a distance.

I have a new RP4 with the 2 USB2 and 2 USB3 ports along with 4GB of RAM. The OS loads fine and basic scope things seem to work. Its able to move my Celestron 8SE as well as working with the Celestron focus motor I have installed.

Still testing with camera things (Nikon and ASI224MC) and network settings. Its able to see the ZWO camera but gain and exposure seem wacky at best. The software release from a few weeks ago was mostly still born. The newer one from yesterday seems better, but still needs work.
I finally got everything working and found the many does and don'ts of the device. One if a good steady 5V 3A supply source. My Celestron battery pack was at 10.8v and still showing a green light. I was running a AC inverter from 12vdc plug to get 5v at 5amp, more than enough for the Stellarmate.

Now I am bypassing the native Mac and iOS apps and use VNC and KStars on the Raspberry PI device. The performance is great until I try live streaming and mount control while low on voltage. It just crashes.

Jasem is going to invest in a Nikon to do more testing with our cameras. What Nikon are you using?
Steve

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Juno16 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:43 pm
mactech wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:45 pm I found a prior version of Startools to run on my current OS.

After opening the LENS Module, all that I have done is to use the slider called "Curvature Linked". I have adjusted to about 135% most of the time and it has nicely rounded the "out of round" stars. You can use the zoom tool and zoom in to the corners and look at the image before and after. Be aware though, the LENS Module will also apply some automatic crop if needed. That feature can also be turned off if you want to really compare before and after effects on your image.

Thanks,
Jim
I played with it extensively last night but the results I got were insignificant. I don't recall using that Curvature Linked control but will give it another go.

Jim, you live in high LP, are most of the images you post from your home or do you have a dark sky location you can go to?
Steve

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ed217 »

mactech wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:36 pm I finally got everything working and found the many does and don'ts of the device. One if a good steady 5V 3A supply source. My Celestron battery pack was at 10.8v and still showing a green light. I was running a AC inverter from 12vdc plug to get 5v at 5amp, more than enough for the Stellarmate.

Now I am bypassing the native Mac and iOS apps and use VNC and KStars on the Raspberry PI device. The performance is great until I try live streaming and mount control while low on voltage. It just crashes.

Jasem is going to invest in a Nikon to do more testing with our cameras. What Nikon are you using?
My testing is mostly inside, so 5V power supply is solid. I run directly on PI4 device using a mouse, keyboard, and small monitor...so no network things are needed for this phase.

My Nikon is a D3500, but have not tested with it yet. My initial camera focus was the ZWO 224MC.
Cameras: Nikon D780, Nikon Zfc ,ZWO ASI224MC, ZWO ASI120MM-S, ZWO ASI294MC Pro, ZWO ASI485MC, ZWO ASI174MM, ASI662MC, ASI294MM, ASI2600MC Pro iPhone 14.
Accessories: Celestron focus motor, ZWO EAF focusers, F6.3 field reducer, assorted eyepieces, 11" video monitor, polar scopes, iOptron iPolar
Computers: Dell desktops, MacOS MacMini, ASUS laptop, Intel NUC, Beelink MiniPD, PI, assorted software packages, iPhones, iPads
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

mactech wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:38 pm

Thanks,
Jim
I played with it extensively last night but the results I got were insignificant. I don't recall using that Curvature Linked control but will give it another go.

Jim, you live in high LP, are most of the images you post from your home or do you have a dark sky location you can go to?
Hey Steve,

You will definitely see a rounder star using the Curvature Linked slider. There are blue and red Curvature sliders if you have the need to adjust either one separately.

All of my images are from my backyard. I have a good bit of lp, but a bigger issue with obstructions (trees). I haven’t used any filters (yet). I recently found a location a short distance away that has maybe a tad better skies from the zenith- to the west and i might get an inverter in the near future and try imaging in a remote location. I really need to get familiar with imaging away from home so that i can go to a star party someday.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Juno16 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:14 pm

Thanks,
Jim

Hey Steve,

You will definitely see a rounder star using the Curvature Linked slider. There are blue and red Curvature sliders if you have the need to adjust either one separately.

All of my images are from my backyard. I have a good bit of lp, but a bigger issue with obstructions (trees). I haven’t used any filters (yet). I recently found a location a short distance away that has maybe a tad better skies from the zenith- to the west and i might get an inverter in the near future and try imaging in a remote location. I really need to get familiar with imaging away from home so that i can go to a star party someday.

Thanks,
Jim
That is my goal as well, be able to image anywhere. I need more battery power, but I will have my car close at hand too. I may get a larger inverter to run from the car and any place I image my car will be right next to me.

The John Glenn Astronomy Park is in an area we loved to rent a cabin during May and has some of the darker skies around these parts and one of my first targets in the Spring.

Amazon just delivered my 12v>5v @5amps buck converter that I need to wire up to the Celestron.

Thanks for the tips on the LENS feature. I was able to compensate for an image taken with my Tamron which exhibits terrible CA at 400mm.
Steve

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Ed217 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:46 pm
mactech wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:36 pm I finally got everything working and found the many does and don'ts of the device. One if a good steady 5V 3A supply source. My Celestron battery pack was at 10.8v and still showing a green light. I was running a AC inverter from 12vdc plug to get 5v at 5amp, more than enough for the Stellarmate.

My testing is mostly inside, so 5V power supply is solid. I run directly on PI4 device using a mouse, keyboard, and small monitor...so no network things are needed for this phase.

My Nikon is a D3500, but have not tested with it yet. My initial camera focus was the ZWO 224MC.
I have had two nights testing outside. The 1st night I couldn't get the SM to connect to the Wifi. Took it out the next day and it worked fine but I moved the SM from between the tripod legs. I didn't have long before the Moon was going to rise so I just Polaraligned as best I could and captured the Pleiades for 3 frames and clouds came in. It just wasn't my night for AP.
Steve

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Instead of AP tonight, I launched my drone and took some great sunset photos. That's the end of my photography for today.
Steve

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

mactech wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:24 pm

Hey Steve,

Thanks,
Jim
That is my goal as well, be able to image anywhere. I need more battery power, but I will have my car close at hand too. I may get a larger inverter to run from the car and any place I image my car will be right next to me.

The John Glenn Astronomy Park is in an area we loved to rent a cabin during May and has some of the darker skies around these parts and one of my first targets in the Spring.

Amazon just delivered my 12v>5v @5amps buck converter that I need to wire up to the Celestron.

Thanks for the tips on the LENS feature. I was able to compensate for an image taken with my Tamron which exhibits terrible CA at 400mm.
I have a deep cycle marine battery that should provide more than enough to an inverter for a couple of nights. I want to be prepared to be fully mobile, but the backyard is so easy. Even if i can only get a few hours on a target, I can see how it looks and add more data imaging the same target another night.

What are you using the 12v to 5vdc 5 amp converter for? My AVX runs on 12vdc. I always run it from a celestron 120vac to 12vdc 5 amp adapter.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ed217 »

mactech wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:35 pm Instead of AP tonight, I launched my drone and took some great sunset photos. That's the end of my photography for today.
Raining like a siv here. I also do drone things with Mavic Air and Phantom 4 models.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Ed217 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:12 pm
mactech wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:35 pm Instead of AP tonight, I launched my drone and took some great sunset photos. That's the end of my photography for today.
Raining like a siv here. I also do drone things with Mavic Air and Phantom 4 models.
I started with a Yuneeq Q500 then P4, P4 Pro, Mavic Air, and now Mavic Pro 2

I like the Mavic Pro 2 the best. It is so much quieter than the others. The Air was the worst of them all.
Steve

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Juno16 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:08 pm
mactech wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:24 pm

Hey Steve,

Thanks,
Jim

I have a deep cycle marine battery that should provide more than enough to an inverter for a couple of nights. I want to be prepared to be fully mobile, but the backyard is so easy. Even if i can only get a few hours on a target, I can see how it looks and add more data imaging the same target another night.

What are you using the 12v to 5vdc 5 amp converter for? My AVX runs on 12vdc. I always run it from a celestron 120vac to 12vdc 5 amp adapter.

Thanks,
Jim

The 5volts is for the StellarMate - Raspberry PI computer running the Stellar OS

I have a 200AH and inverter here in my office that will run for hours powering my computers, ham radio, etc. when power goes down but lugging that into the field is going to be a chore :D

I plug my AVX right into the 12vdc output from the Celestron, they didn't sell me an AC adapter for it. I had to then go buy the cigarette plug 12vdc cable.
Steve

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Amazon delivered my 12vdc > 5vdc @ 3a step down regulator. I've got it wired up now without the need for the AC adapter and enough juice to power it under full load. It's running nice and cool so far.

There was some conversion loss in the AC > DC adapter as noted by the heat it gave off. I will be doing some more tests with a full-charge and running everything at once and for how long before it drops below 11vdc. I may just get a long heavy duty cable to connect to my car battery too, as a backup.

This is the KStars interface on the Raspberry PI StellarOS - hard to believe it's in a tiny 2x3" box. I can VNC with any device, my desktop iMac, iPad Pro or Android tablet.

Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 6.06.58 PM.png
Steve