Explore Scientific ED102

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Explore Scientific ED102

Post by Mac »

Finally decided I should get a polar scope for the AVX. It arrived yesterday and the seeing conditions last night were perfect to test it out, albeit very cold ~18f. I didn't have a lot of time before the clouds were going to move in and I spent about 5 minutes aligning and was able to get 2 minute exposures unguided.

The 2nd success was using the Stellarmate for guiding with the Orion 50mm and ASI120MM all controlled from inside the warmth of my office.

Below is a screen capture from my Mac of the Stellarmate guide interface. Still some learning to do but 2 steps forward. I enjoyed clicking on the Pleiades on my screen, watch it slew and then to my surprise it showed up in the guide scope perfectly centered.

You can see I still have some tracking issues but I know it wasn't 100% polar aligned to start. Not sure the scope if centered yet.

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 9.51.57 PM.png
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

There were a few times where there was minimal drifting.
Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 9.32.19 PM.png

I need to learn more about the AVX and improving the interaction with the Stellarmate guide module.

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 9.05.07 PM.png
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

So I decided that the guiding module wasn't guiding after all. It painted a pretty picture on the screen but somewhere along the line it lost ( ie... user ) the settings for the guider. Looking back at the earlier post above and seeing the error that I completely overlooked when I created a new profile.

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 1.42.27 PM.png

The guide pulses were being sent back VIA the CCD, not the AVX Mount. More newbie mistakes.

I was happy with some 2 minute exposures but now know it should get much better. Right?

Now if only the clouds would go away.
Steve

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Now that I correctly setup the software guiding settings in Stellarmate, the guiding was much improved with the mount actually receiving the correction pulses.

I am not sure how good this is compared to other's results but it is far better than before. It never left the green area. :D

Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 6.56.10 AM.png
Steve

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Nice Steve!

Those are good values, especially for an AVX.

I see values like that sometimes, but the values move around from about 0.8” to 1.8” averaging around 1.3 - 1.5” total rms error usually heavier on the RA. Of course, it goes to heck with a dither!

Looking good!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:45 pm Nice Steve!

Those are good values, especially for an AVX.

I see values like that sometimes, but the values move around from about 0.8” to 1.8” averaging around 1.3 - 1.5” total rms error usually heavier on the RA. Of course, it goes to heck with a dither!

Looking good!

Thanks,
Jim

That's good to know they are good values. It was tracking very well and I spent a total of 2 minutes on the polar align using the Celestron polar scope in the mount. It certainly is a step forward, which would have happened long ago except for these @#$@#$ skies in Ohio.

At least the forecast from 2 days ago was spot on with the clearing skies which lasted about 4 hours. Transparency was showing as Above average but Seeing was below to poor in the hours preceding.
Steve