Mounting a refactor on a CGX-Z mount question

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Caddman United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Mounting a refactor on a CGX-Z mount question

Post by Caddman »

Hello,
I want to mount my refractor on my CGX and CGX-L mounts. These mounts were designed for reflectors where the majority of the scope's weight lies at the back of the scope. I need to counter balance the refactor using some sort of weights on the eyepiece end of the refractor to balance the scope. There must be a system somewhere that accomplishes this. I would appreciate any advise.
Thank you
Glenn
Glenn

Telescopes; Stellarvue SVA130T, WO GT71, Orion SkyQuest XT10, Orion 10" f/3.9 Astrograph
Mounts; Atlas EQ-G, Celestron CGX-L
Binoculars; Oberwerk LW 11 X 70, Oberwerk 25 X 100
Lady Fraktor Online Slovakia

Re: Mounting a refactor on a CGX-Z mount question

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Ankle weights in front of the focuser will work, can you push the refractor forward in its tube clamps?
A longer dovetail plate also helps with balancing a refractor. I usually use 203mm on my small refractors and 330mm on my larger.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
seigell United States of America

Re: Mounting a refactor on a CGX-Z mount question

Post by seigell »

GEM Mounts have No Bias whether the load is a Refractor or a Reflector or Catadioptric - the Center of Gravity is still the same and over the Center of the Saddle.
What you are describing is the weight-bias toward the front - the Primary Optics - and is addressed by repositioning the Scope Rings.
If you are planning for Visual Observing, unless you have a "Hand Grenade" EP then you will need to move the Scope Rings forward to reach Balance.
If you are planning for AP Imaging, you will likely have to move the Scope Rings to the back.
If your consideration is to add a Counterweight along the Scope Body, make sure that you add it inward of the Focuser, as the last thing that you want to do is introduce or exacerbate any Focuser Tube "Droop".

I'm guessing that you are concerned about your Stellarview 130. It is very similar to my Meade 6000, which with my Filterwheel and Focuser Motor and Camera I actually had to move the Scope Rings backward to extend the Primary Optics to reach Balance...
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)