What I've done & what else I need? On my way to the dark side (site*)

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

What I've done & what else I need? On my way to the dark side (site*)

Post by Baskevo »

Hey all,

When I started with PHD2, I tried to do way too much at once, I jumped head first without doing a whole lot of research (I have that tendency), and it made me realize that I need to take things a little slower.

so with the basic setup of PHD2 pretty much done, I thought I would share a list of things I need/need to do, and possibly get some input from you all, before I make a trip to the dark site. I want it be as good as I can get it without it being my own fault for not thinking ahead and having everything I need. if you have any suggestions for what I should add or do, I would really appreciate it!

I also thought that, for the beginners here, from a beginner, I would share a brief summary of what I've gone through so far, and what beginners might expect when getting into astrophotography:
I purchased the Explore Scientific ED80 triplet APO refractor with the Celestron AVX mount, along with a Canon Rebel t7i for imaging deep sky objects. I wish I had gone with a less expensive camera and put that money toward other equipment (like actual, experienced astrophotographers told me to do... why don't I listen T.T).
I did tons and tons of research. I learned about Polar alignment, guiding, stacking, processing, planning, and a lot more.
I purchased a T-ring + 2" adapter for my camera.
I purchased Celestron's PowerTank, which I probably won't use all that often.
I purchased a very expensive finder scope that I used like 3 times.
I purchased AC adapters for my camera and mount, which made things a lot better for my backyard.
I purchased a Bahtinov mask, which makes a WORLD of difference for focusing.
I've taken more useless pictures than I have useful ones, and learned light pollution and clouds suck.
I've spent hours upon hours playing around in photoshop, just to get a tiny bit more detail.

This last week, I purchased a plastic tote box to prevent dew from getting on my laptop, a lawn chair, and a portable table from Walmart.
I also purchased a ASI-ZWO120mm-Mini camera along with a cheap guide-scope, to learn how to auto guide. I have spent hours this last week learning PHD2, posting up in the PHD2 forums, and now I am here.

Here is the list of things I want to do before I hit the dark site, that I would love some advice on:

1. finish PHD2 setup: I had a good session tonight. 3 min. exposures (I don't think I could've gone much further, even at 400 ISO, b/c of my Bortle 8 skies) before the clouds rolled in. I think tonight was the last night I'll need to spend 2 hours just setting up, and I'll be able to just run it and jump in. (famous last words...)
2. Figure out how to Manage my cables.
2. Use SharpCap for polar alignment (I know the easiest/fastest PA option is probably with the QHY pole master, but I am hoping I can do it without spending +$250)
3. Use program like APT or BackyardEOS for controlling my camera
4. Purchase portable power: Turns out there's a specialty battery store near my house. I'm going to head there this week.
5. purchase a field flattener: my stars are extending near the edge of my photos, and I hope this will fix it.
6. Purchase dew heaters: I have heard that you don't need dew heaters for the ED80, but the last few nights I have had terrible dew on my scope... I don't know if it is just my area. If anyone has a suggestion for an inexpensive option, I would be forever grateful.

I think that covers everything I can think of, so far. The last thing would be a LP filter for imaging at home.
My goal is to get this all done by the October's new moon! I'm really bummed I won't be ready for the dark site this weekend, but I am also really excited because I know it will be a much better experience when I can go. Almost there! I look forwarding to sharing more pictures with you all... I'll be happy if they are 1/1000th as good as the pictures on this forum.
Thank you to everyone on this forum, who have been a tremendous help, and extremely nice about it... You all have a lot of patience for beginners, and I would not have been able to do all of this, especially so fast, with out you guys!

Clear skies to you!
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: What I've done & what else I need? On my way to the dark side (site*)

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Baskevo,

Good for you!

I can’t wait to read about your adventures!

I still haven’t made it to a dark site. Nowhere convenient for me without a good drive. Still need to acquire portable power.

Plus, I’m still learning. Since I have to invest a good bit of time going to a dark site, I want to be pretty sure what I can do at home with my Bortle 6-7 skies.

Heck, I got taken back to school on dithering last night. Still need to process some data today to see if it helped.

Take care and have a great time!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/