Celestron SLT/GT Wedge For Budget Wide Field AP

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Celestron SLT/GT Wedge For Budget Wide Field AP

Post by JayTee »

In an effort to increase our footprint on Google with articles that are germane to our forums, here is a reprint of an article I wrote and posted over at AF a few years ago. I think this information is still very pertinent to those beginning AP on a budget.

Constructing an Equatorial Wedge for the Celestron SLT/GT Goto Mount

A couple of years ago, when I was trying to take wide-field (nightscape) Astro-images with a DSLR camera on a simple photo tripod, I was surprised to discover there were star trails in even a 30-second nightscape image. And my lens FL was set at 20mm. To fix this frustrating problem, I needed a way to get my camera to track the sky.

So I attempted to construct a barn door tracker. I started down this path because I wanted something inexpensive, small, lightweight and easy to set up. This project proved to be difficult to finish as I could not find a 1 RPM synchronous motor. I gave up on the Barn Door tracker project and started using my large telescope mount (CPC 1100 on the HD Pro equatorial wedge) onto which I affixed my DSLR camera for tracked nightscape images. It became obvious very quickly that this setup was anything but inexpensive, small, lightweight and easy to set up.

So fast forward two years. I started seeing used Celestron SLT/GT goto mounts on sale on eBay and other places for less than $100. This price included the hand controller (HC), sometimes as low as $20 (minus the HC). Since I own a Celestron mount on an equatorial wedge, I realized that maybe this was the answer to get tracked nightscape images. So I did research on the SLT and GT mounts and found out it is fully capable of being put in equatorial (EQ) tracking mode. All that was left now was to get a wedge for this mount. I found several plans on the internet but none of them met my requirements for quick setup, ease-of-use, and expedited an accurate polar alignment. What follows are the construction materials, the build instructions, operating instructions and photographic results of this project.

My version of the Equatorial Wedge

This wedge was designed and constructed to be lightweight but could still carry at least a 5-pound payload. The SLT/GT mount can only handle 8 pounds so my goal was to keep everything on the mount at 4 pounds or less. As this project progressed, I realized that it would be the perfect entry-level setup for beginning AP. So with that in mind, I tried to keep this wedge construction as simple as possible and buildable in a single weekend. I wanted a setup that was easy to adjust to get an accurate polar alignment and would allow decent tracking with a DSLR camera using an intervalometer (and no computer for image capture). I also tried to keep the expense down, thinking that I could put a $<100 SLT/GT goto mount on a $30 wedge and it would produce some respectable results. As it turns out, I had several other necessary pieces in my "Astro" accessories that the beginner would not necessarily have. The additional items that a beginner would need for this project are:

1. A suitable tripod
2. A Celestron hand controller (if one didn’t come with the mount purchase)
3. A vixen style bar for attaching the camera to the mount
4. A small telescope (50 – 80mm) for the goto alignment and then to polar align the mount.

Construction materials:

Wood: (see figure 1)

• 6” x 6”, 1” thick pine board for the Tripod Disk,
• 6” x 21” piece of 5/16” plywood for the Base and Wedge Plates
• 2) 3” x 1 ½” 1” thick piece of pine for the Dowel Blocks
• 5 ¼” long piece of ¾” diameter pine dowel
• 2) 1” x 1” pine board squares to secure the cup hooks (not shown)
Wood Pieces.jpg
fig 1

Hardware: (see figure 2)

• 2) #10-32 1” long thumb screws
• 3) 5/16-18 clamping knobs (2 closed end and one open end)
• 5/16 – 18 Insert nut
• 5) Auto Trim panel plugs
• 6” continuous hinge (I cut a 12” hinge in half)
• 12” long, 5/16 – 18 threaded bar (7” for Altitude adjustment rod and 5” to connect the tripod, disk, and base plate together allowing for the Azimuth adjustment)
• Acorn cap nut 5/16 - 18
• 7/16 x 2 ½ x .047 and 7/16 x 1 ½” x .047 -- 11-pound capacity spring pack.
• 2) cup hooks
• 2) 3/16 x 1” fender washers
• 6” disk of HDPE (I cut mine from a 1-gallon ice cream bucket lid, shown later)
• 2) 2 ½” wood screws (not shown), 6) ¼” beefy machine screws for the wedge plate hinge, 6) 1” wood screws (4 for the dowel blocks and 2 for cup hook blocks)
Hardware Pieces.jpg
fig 2

Tools used:

• Drill press (hand drill attached to a portable press)
• Jigsaw
• Various drill bits (normal and spade bits)
• Drill sanding disk
• Screwdrivers
• Various wood screws
• Wood glue

Construction Steps:

Cut, shape and drill the wood pieces according to the dimensions on the pictures below. The hole in the dowel blocks is ¾” wide using a spade drill bit at the blocks’ center point. The hole in the dowel’s center is 13/32" for the insert nut. Once this hole is drilled, screw in the insert nut into the dowel. This is the stationary pivot point through which the Altitude adjustment rod passes. Next, drill an 11/32" hole 1¼” from the hinge line on the centerline of the base plate. This is the hole that connects the tripod disk to the base plate and allows for the Azimuth adjustments. Now, using a ½” spade drill bit, drill a ½” wide channel 1 ½” long starting 3 ¼” from the end of the base plate. This channel is where the Altitude adjustment rod passes through the base plate.
The holes for the Tripod Disk are going to be unique to whatever tripod you choose to use. They need to be countersunk so the base plate sits flush on top of the tripod disk.
Cut Wood Pieces.jpg

fig 3

Don’t forget to precisely measure and drill the 11/32" center hole for the 5” x 5/16” threaded Altitude adjustment rod (very important step). Lastly, drill the holes for the auto trim panel plugs based on the ones you acquired. They act as a low friction point for the Azimuth adjustments. So after this step, you should have a 6” round, 1” thick tripod disk, a 6” x 14” base plate, a 6” x 7” wedge plate, 2 - 3” x 1 ½” dowel blocks, and a 5 ¼” long piece of ¾” dowel. All as pictured above.

To drill the holes in the wedge plate, first, remove the metal mounting plate from the bottom of the SLT/GT mount (this plate is only used for measuring and NOT for connecting the SLT/GT mount to the wedge plate). Find the center of the wedge plate (horizontal and vertical) and orient the SLT/GT metal plate along the vertical axis, mark all 3 holes. The two outer holes are for the 10-32 thumbscrews and a ¼” center hole acts as the resting spot for the acorn cap nut. Countersink this hole to conform to the shape of the Acorn nut.
Wedge Plate Holes.jpg
fig 4

After you have drilled the above 3 holes, attach the mount, using the thumbscrews and fender washers. Snug the thumb screws tight enough that the small plastic feet on the base of the SLT/GT mount make 3 indentations on the wedge plate. Now drill 3 holes 3/16” deep using a ¼” drill bit. These holes allow the SLT/GT mount to sit flush against the wedge plate and act as a guide making it easier to attach the SLT mount to the wedge plate.

At this point, I spray painted all the wood pieces with ultra-flat black enamel paint. Each piece got 3 coats.
Tripod Disk.jpg
fig 5

Here is a close-up of the Tripod Disk with all its holes and Auto trim panel plugs installed. 4 are shown, but a 5th one needs to be added in that big space. The HDPE disk will sit on top of the Tripod Disk.

Below is the HDPE (high-density polyurethane) disk I cut from an ice cream bucket lid. This disk sits between the tripod disk and the base plate and acts as a low friction point to allow for easier and more precise Azimuth adjustment when doing the Polar alignment.
HDPE Disk.jpg
HDPE Disk.jpg (28.62 KiB) Viewed 40437 times
fig 6

The Tripod Disk attached to the tripod. (see figure 7)
Tripod Disk On Tripod.jpg
fig 7

Assembling the pieces parts:

After the paint has thoroughly dried it’s time to assemble. There are two glue & screw operations. The first is to glue & screw the dowel blocks to the base plate as shown. Make sure to drill small pilot holes in the base plate and the blocks (2 screws per block). Don’t forget to insert the dowel between the two dowel block BEFORE you glue & screw. Also, make sure you get no glue on the dowel as it needs to move freely. Then glue & screw the 1” cup hook blocks to the top of the wedge plate flush with the top edge on the centerline of the wedge plate. Then glue & screw the second block 1” from the back edge of the base plate on the centerline of the base plate (1 wood screw per block).

When attaching the 6” hinge to the wedge plate and the base plate pay careful attention to the “squareness” of the hinge. I drew two guidelines for the hinge edge so I could tighten it down making sure it didn’t “wander”. Now cut your 12” 5/16-18 threaded bar into a 7” piece and a 5” piece. File the cut ends so that caps can be screwed onto them. Now thread the 7” bar (now called the Altitude adjustment rod) into and through the dowel’s insert nut. Once you have gotten about 2” through, screw on the Acorn cap nut and secure tightly. On the other end secure the closed-end clamping knob (I used a second nut to cinch up against the clamping knob to lock it in place).
Completed Wedge.jpg
fig 8

Drill a small pilot hole for the cup hooks and screw them in place. Only attach the springs when the mount is in use. These springs put a lot of pressure on the cup hooks. It is also easier to attach the SLT/GT mount with the springs off.

EDIT: I have replaced the springs with a simple turnbuckle attached to the cup holder hooks just like you do with the springs. Using this hardware you are able to gently cinch down on the wedge plate to secure it in place.

Now insert the 5” Azimuth threaded bar (with a wide washer) up from the underside of the mount through the tripod disk, the HDPE disk, and then through the base plate. Put another wide washer over this threaded rod and then screw on the open-end clamping knob. Snug this assembly down. Now you are ready to attach the SLT/GT mount onto the wedge plate. Have the thumbscrews, fender washers, and springs ready to go. Line up the SLT/GT mount “feet” with holes in the wedge plate and then screw in the thumbscrews with fender washers in place. Once the thumbscrews are tight, attach the springs starting with the base plate then attach to the wedge plate.

At this point, you are done. All that is left is to attach your camera or your small telescope to the vixen bar and clamp that in place on the SLT/GT mount. Next, you will have to guess or measure the angle of the wedge plate so it matches your latitude. If you look closely you’ll see I’ve attached a clear plastic protractor marked with degrees to the base plate such that the center of the protractor is lined up with the apex of the hinge (see fig 8).

When finished it should look something like this.
Complete Setup.jpg
fig 9
Complete Setup2.jpg
fig 10

The 70mm f/5.7 scope is used for aligning the mount (both goto and polar) prior to attaching the DSLR to start imaging. (see figure 11)
Setup With Scope.jpg
fig 11

Operating Instructions:
I believe it is easier to align the mount using a small telescope than trying to use the camera and its live view feature. Make sure all mount connections are snug.

First, orient the tripod so that the Altitude adjustment rod points to the North Star (Polaris). Next, set the wedge plate to the proper angle to represent your latitude. As a general rule of thumb as you go higher in latitude the closer the SLT mount arm points to the zenith. Or the lower you go in latitude the closer the SLT mount arm points to the horizon.

After turning on the power to the mount you will need to give the HC all your local particulars. After that, you will select EQ North/South alignment (depending on which side of the equator you live). I prefer to do a 2-star “goto” alignment. After a successful 2-star “goto” alignment, slew to a star near the meridian and on or around the celestial equator for the following procedure. What follows is the all-star polar alignment (ASPA). Then press the align button on the hand controller and select “Polar Align” then “Align Mount”. After you have synced up the star the mount will move to where it thinks the star should be if you were perfectly pointed at the north celestial pole (NCP). Here is where the adjustment knobs on the base plate come into play. Use the Altitude adjustment knob to center the star on that axis then loosen the base plate to the tripod base knob to move the wedge base in Azimuth to center the star on that axis. Once you have centered the star in Azimuth, tighten the knob back down so the plate will not move.

After these steps are complete you will need to re-align the mount. Once you get good at these procedures you can get this done in a matter of minutes. In fact, I usually do it twice to make sure I’m as close to the NCP as I can reasonably get.

After the mount is “goto” aligned and polar aligned you can replace the telescope with your DSLR camera and start imaging away.
Here is an example of the first set of images from this setup. As stated, I used this setup with my DSLR camera (a Canon T1i) and an intervalometer and nothing else to acquire the images. A computer was not used until the stacking and post-processing phase of AP.

Results:
Here are some of the very first images I acquired using this setup at my dark site on July 6, 2016. These images were taken with just the Canon T1i, my 18-55mm kit lens or the 50-250mm kit telephoto lens, and using just an intervalometer for acquiring multiple images.

This is a single unprocessed image of the Sagittarius region of the Milky Way. Lens at 25mm, 64 seconds, ISO 6400.

Sagittarius Milky Way Single 25mm Unprocessed.jpg

This is the same image cropped with minimal levels and curves stretching in PhotoShop.

Sagittarius Milky Way Single 25mm 64 sec ISO 6400 proc.jpg

This image of the same region used the lens at 25mm and is a stacked 15 x 4 minutes at ISO 1600 for a total of 1 hour of exposure time. It was stacked in Deep Sky Stacker 3.3.4 (DSS) and has been fully post-processed in PhotoShop.

Sagittarius Milky Way Wide Field 25mm 15x4min ISO 1600 Stacked and Processed Small.jpg

This image of M31 was taken with great haste as I was running out of night time. It uses my 50-250mm telephoto lens at 200mm. It is a DSS stacked image, each image used different exposure times (from 30 seconds to 2 minutes) but it adds up to 13 minutes of exposure at ISO 12800! It was fully post-processed in PhotoShop.

M31 200mm 13min ISO 12800 Small.jpg

Here are some follow-up shots accomplished a few weeks later to further test out this setup.

M27 the Dumbbell. 10 30 second exposures for 5 minutes total, ISO 800 (from my red/orange backyard). 50-250mm lens at 130mm

M27 200mm 10x30 Seconds ISO 1600.jpg

M3 Glob. 10 3 minute exposures for 30 minutes total, ISO 800. 50-250mm lens at 100mm

M3 Stacked Proc V2 Cropped.jpg

M104 the Sombrero Galaxy. 10 3 minute exposures for 30 minutes total. 50-250mm lens at 100mm

M104 Stacked Proc V1 Cropped.jpg

In Conclusion:
Well, there you have it. An inexpensive wedge for an inexpensive goto mount dedicated to your DSLR camera and lens for wide-field and long-exposure AP imaging on a budget! Feel free to print out this post to use in your workshop should you feel the need to build this accessory.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Celestron SLT/GT Wedge For Budget Wide Field AP

Post by Baskevo »

Wow! This is awesome, JT, and sounds like an awesome project! I would love to try this some day. Thanks for sharing.
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Beautiful construction work JT!

That is really an impressive piece of hardware and your results are fabulous.

Very useful post! I might give this a shot to make a wide-field rig for my dslr when I go camping.

Thanks!

Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad about this... I was trying to do something similar about 4 years ago, but didn't put this much thought into it :|

Anyway, had I seen this back then I probably wouldn't have my AVX. Now I have to dig out my 90SLT mount and see if I destroyed it. It was inoperable when I purchased my AVX, that really was a good excuse to spend the money, but if I can get it working then I need to do this!!!

Thanks JT!
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

fatboy1271 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:44 am I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad about this... I was trying to do something similar about 4 years ago, but didn't put this much thought into it :|

Anyway, had I seen this back then I probably wouldn't have my AVX. Now I have to dig out my 90SLT mount and see if I destroyed it. It was inoperable when I purchased my AVX, that really was a good excuse to spend the money, but if I can get it working then I need to do this!!!

Thanks JT!
Because dark site time is so precious to me I take this setup out with me even when I'm using my AVX. This was the reason I have two DSLRs. One is attached to this mount+wedge, the other is plugged into either my ES 80mm or the 6" RC on the AVX while I spend my time (because everything else is automated) looking through either the CPC1100 or the 8" dob. My wife thinks I overpack for my trips but there's lots to observe and capture when you are out at a Bortle 1 or 2 location.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3

fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

Pffft…. Bortle 1 or 2...? What's that?! Yeah, I'd take everything I could too if that's where I was headed :)

If my SLT motor is shot because I messed with it I'm going to check ebay. I can use the 450D for this and keep using the 70D for my main imaging rig on the AVX!!!
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

fatboy1271 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:17 am Pffft…. Bortle 1 or 2...? What's that?! Yeah, I'd take everything I could too if that's where I was headed :)

If my SLT motor is shot because I messed with it I'm going to check eBay. I can use the 450D for this and keep using the 70D for my main imaging rig on the AVX!!!
That's a perfect use for the 450D. There are 3 lenses at my disposal for this setup, the 18-55mm kit lens, my nifty fifty (50mm), and my 75-300mm telephoto. These 3 lenses pretty much cover all the bases.

Cheers,
JT

Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Thank you JT, this is an incredibly nice write up.

Ian
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Nice article and nice workmanship. You are a clever guy. Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Fantastic work at all levels JT. Inspired stuff.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

WoodenPenny
Earth Ambassador

Post by WoodenPenny »

I just started exploring photography more seriously last year as a hobbyist, and I wanted to thank you for this amazing invention and sharing it with us in a post. Last spring, I was lucky enough to picked up a cheap, dusty Celestron Nexstar 90gt at a garage sale. After a few weeks of frustrating tinkering with it, I stumbled upon this post and found exactly what I needed to turn that telescope mount into the rig I wanted. $15 in hardware from home depot, some scrap wood, and a aluminum mounting plate were all I needed to get a surprisingly capable star tracker. It's been a great tool to pull stars out of a bright suburban sky and a whole lot of fun. I look forward to many more nights of using it. Thank you.
90gtwedge.jpg
belt.JPG
andromeda.JPG
orion.JPG
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Nicely done WP!

A quick tip, I replaced the tension spring that holds the mount plate against the altitude adjustment knob with a turnbuckle. It's a bit more solid this way.

Cheers

rsmith6621a United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by rsmith6621a »

JT

Thank you so much for this DIY wedge, With the $$$ saving I will have a ribeye in your honor.

Question or two...

1. Can you use a 1/2x6 inch pine board instead of plywood? The pine board would be actually 1/2x5.5 x 3ft . I can purchase some craft plywood that will meet the measurements needed.
2. I gather the three countersunk holes in a triangle are only if you have the SLT mount and the single 1/4 inch hole is if you have the GT. I own the GT model of the mount.
3. Has anyone made a YouTube video of the assembly of this.

Thanks again
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

WOW JT That is very impressive !!!
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

rsmith6621a wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:55 pm 1. Can you use a 1/2x6 inch pine board instead of plywood? The pine board would be actually 1/2x5.5 x 3ft . YES, but you will need to make the appropriate adjustments to the measurements provided in the original post.
2. I gather the three countersunk holes in a triangle are only if you have the SLT mount and the single 1/4 inch hole is if you have the GT. I own the GT model of the mount.
Those three countersunk holes on the mount mounting plate are to accommodate the three little tiny plastic feet on the bottom of the SLT and GT mount.
I could probably do it once I get back from my latest sojourn. Don't expect it any earlier than mid-august.

Earth Ambassador

Post by rsmith6621a »

JayTee wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:23 pm
rsmith6621a wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:55 pm 1. Can you use a 1/2x6 inch pine board instead of plywood? The pine board would be actually 1/2x5.5 x 3ft . YES, but you will need to make the appropriate adjustments to the measurements provided in the original post.
Those three countersunk holes on the mount mounting plate are to accommodate the three little tiny plastic feet on the bottom of the SLT and GT mount.
I could probably do it once I get back from my latest sojourn. Don't expect it any earlier than mid-august.
I found some 1/2 inch scrap plywood at the lumber store and will make this 6 inches wide. I discovered the feet on the mount base. I gather the 3 holes on the mount disk are also for something on the tripod. How do you get the insert nut inside the dowel?

Thanks
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

rsmith6621a wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:47 pm I found some 1/2 inch scrap plywood at the lumber store and will make this 6 inches wide. I discovered the feet on the mount base. I gather the 3 holes on the mount disk are also for something on the tripod. How do you get the insert nut inside the dowel?

Thanks

Good luck with the build RS.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Earth Ambassador

Post by rsmith6621a »

JayTee wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:23 pm
JayTee. What are the specs/measurements/brand on the Turnbuckle you substituted? Finding the springs where I live is pretty much impossible.

I am almost done with my wedge.

Thank
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

rsmith6621a wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:53 pm JayTee. What are the specs/measurements/brand on the Turnbuckle you substituted? Finding the springs where I live is pretty much impossible.
I went to Home Depot, looked at their turnbuckles, and applied the T-LAR method. T-LAR = That looks about right! Sorry, I can't be more specific.

Cheers,

PS, can't wait to see the pics of your build and the finished product. jt

Earth Ambassador

Post by rsmith6621a »

Well, after having to redo several cuts all because I have never been able to use a saw of any type to cut square lines, I present my SLTGT EQ wedge.

I modified the hinge to a cabinet hinge and the dowel from a 3/4 to a 1 inch piece. Also the 5 inch rod that holds this to the tripod I moved it back 1 inch so I could get the knob to be flush with the wedge base. I also think I am going to keep the springs as it seems to give me better resistance.

Now a new learning curve must start as I need to justify to the wife the cost of making this. Wednesday night It is going to make its debut at my monthly astronomy club meeting.

Enjoy, I would love some feedback.
Attachments
IMG_20230804_214730409.jpg
IMG_20230804_214909158.jpg
IMG_20230807_141125535_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230804_214705110.jpg